Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: General PS3 Q&A

Thanks
    EP Points

Default General PS3 Q&A

What is the easiest way to expand your memory on a PS3?

I have seen that they sell a Datel 160GB USB harddrive that is supposedly "intended" for PS3. But since most External Harddrives are USB, would any of them work with the ps3?
    Last edited by Borman; 23rd-October-2007 at 01:17.

Thanks

I'm pretty sure all usb hdd drives will work, but has to be formatted with fat32 for full potential . . . if you know what i mean. If you don't . . . basically you'll have to click "display all" to view what's inside. I have to do that with flash drives at least. But flash drives work pretty decent for transferring files if you're lazy and don't wanna do all that media server business like me.
    [

Thanks
    EP Points

cool, im thinking of getting a ps3 next month and was just checking to see how that all works before i get one.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,180 Times in 550 Posts
    EP Points

If you plan to replace the original HDD, make sure to get a 2.5" 5400rpm HDD (the 7200rpm HDD give overheating problems).
    As Mr Crow said, usb devices will have to be formatted to fat.

Thanks
    EP Points

Go for a non USB drive. Just buy a laptop hdd and you can then replace the drive that comes with your PS3 without affecting the warranty. The drive that you put inside the PS3 can hold games and game demos along with everything else while a USB drive can only hold pictures, music, and movies. Plus the USB HDD would be something else to clutter up your area.

Thanks
    EP Points

well if i were to go about putting a new one in -- is it a hard or complicated process? If it is, are there tutorials online on how to do it?

Also, what HDD do you reccomend as far as brand and such?

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by MondayHopscotch View Post
    well if i were to go about putting a new one in -- is it a hard or complicated process? If it is, are there tutorials online on how to do it?

Also, what HDD do you reccomend as far as brand and such?
    Unless I'm mistaken, which I likely am, it's in the owner's manual.

Thanks
    EP Points

well thats spiffy a few of the tutorials ive found online use Toshiba drives, the price difference isnt too far apart for 160GB drives (especially since im going to end up spending 600 sum dollars anyhow), so i'll probably go with that -- unless someone suggests otherwise.

Edit:
    And, what do you all recommend (taking note that i am planning to get a new HDD):

(a)buy the 60gig model
    (b)buy the 80gig model
    (c)buy some other model

i know that the 60 and 80gig models are the same price and that the 80 comes with motostorm, but the 60 has the EE chip, which from what i understand isnt that big of a deal now that developers have patched games.
    Last edited by MondayHopscotch; 20th-October-2007 at 04:43.

Thanks

I'd go 80 gig model. I think runs about 95% of PS2 games anyhow. Go to here http://www.us.playstation.com/Support/CompatibleStatus and see what games work.
    [

Thanks
    EP Points

i guess im going with the 80 gig then.

dont mean to be asking a bunch of annoying questions, but as long as you all dont mind answering them - i want to clarify a few more things.

Im looking to get a bluetooth headset and from what ive seen on the internet that pretty much any bluetooth headsets work with the ps3, but i had a few questions.

1. What do you guys recommend as far as bluetooth headsets?
    2. Do the headsets work similar to 360 headsets? That is, you can have just voice chats with people go through the headpiece and everything else through your normal speakers?

I know its a little off topic, but i dont think its worth starting a new thread.

Edit:
    Oh! and one more thing -- i see that they sell fan cooler gizmos for the PS3, do PS3's really have a problem with overheating? or are these just ways to get people to spend extra money that they didnt need to?
    Last edited by MondayHopscotch; 21st-October-2007 at 05:25.

Thanks

I don't know anything about blue tooth headsets and the PS3s since I don't have a blue tooth headset as of yet. But for the overheating question. I've heard PS3s are pretty good with keeping the heat down. I've left mine on over night once in awhile one accident and woke up with it still alive. They do let off some heat though and can be kind of loud at times. You should be safe without the fan cooler, since mines been doing all right.

Oh yeah. If you don't care about PS2 backwards compatibility you could wait till next month and get the 40 gig for 399, but you can't play PS2 games on it, only has 2 USB ports, and no card readers. Dunno if PS2 playback is a big deal to you. It still has wifi and other important stuff in it. I mean I've never used this card reader and I've never used more than 1 usb port at a time. Since I charge my controller with my computer.
    [

Thanks
    EP Points

well i have a chunk of games for PS2 that i will probably still play. I also have a PSP so the memory stick slot on the PS3 might prove useful, who knows.

I pre-ordered Assassin's Creed today, so I have to get my PS3 by Novemer 13th . I think im going to go with the 80 gig model, I see it as an overall better deal than the 40 gig: It comes with a game, so the price difference is only 40 bucks apart (if you were planning on getting motostorm). I'd say that 40 bucks is worth BC, Memory card readers, more USB slots, and double the HDD space

Edit:

But if somebody can clarify that, oh... say... this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16879555002 headset would work with my PS3, i would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks
    EP Points

It should be fine, but search ebay first, you can find some good deals. Or buy the Warhawk package with the headset. USB headsets should work as well

Thanks
    EP Points

Cool, thanks again for all you guys' help. I think that answers all my questions (that i can think of at the moment).

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MondayHopscotch View Post
    Cool, thanks again for all you guys' help. I think that answers all my questions (that i can think of at the moment).
    /start off topic post
    Noticed you live in Denver...How bout them Broncos? Don't like em, but I am a mortal enemy of the Steelers.
    /end off topic post

This is really interesting because I plan on getting a PS3 when my financial situation is a bit better...and now that its been out for a while I could find some decent ass deals on it...

Hopefully Amazon still gives $30 off when you get their credit card, cuz that'll make it $270 if I get it next month :-D
    Ever wanted to know how to boot burned PSX games on a PS2 without any swap disc or modchip?

Follow This Thread to find out how!

I take no credit for the aforementioned method, I just take credit for telling others about it. It is not my method, and I am not responsible if you f*ck up your console following this method.