Thread: Wi-Fi USB Connector, worth the buy?

Thanks

Default Wi-Fi USB Connector, worth the buy?

Will probably only use for the DS, and maybe the Wii in years to come or if my friend needs to use it (would never let him keep it, but to use while I am there or something.) But I am wanting to use it with the R4 I should be getting. So is it worth the buy and does it work fine? Thanks. I am thinking of buying it on Amazon new, but maybe Ebay. Remember Amazon would be free shipping for me, and I will not order this at least until the R4 works for me, if not, then I am not ordering this, though I heard where I will be getting it from will take about a month (really cheap and free shipping).

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=39XKIZUVYBP1C

Thanks

The Wi-Fi Connector is only for use if you don't have an existing wi-fi routher to use to connect your DS or Wii to in order to access the internet. It still requires that you have a broudband internet connection and is only usable for commercial game even on the R4. No matter what you do it will not work with homebrew application made for the DS.

With the R4 you can access the Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection service and battle online just like you would an actual cartriage. I have done it with my copy of Mario Kart DS and the online servers let me play like anyone else.
    Haldrie's World
    (My official web site.)

My YouTube Channel

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Haldrie View Post
    The Wi-Fi Connector is only for use if you don't have an existing wi-fi routher to use to connect your DS or Wii to in order to access the internet. It still requires that you have a broudband internet connection and is only usable for commercial game even on the R4. No matter what you do it will not work with homebrew application made for the DS.

With the R4 you can access the Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection service and battle online just like you would an actual cartriage. I have done it with my copy of Mario Kart DS and the online servers let me play like anyone else.
    So I have Comcast Broadband internet service, just plug into the USB port and play? And just out of curiosity, would this work at all on a dial-up connection, but it seems like this is what I need, I don't have a router or anything, and don't have a need for one, except for this, this is a great alternative, thanks. I will order this once I get my R4 and it works.

Thanks

It will not work with dial-up as the games that use it need a much faster connection in order to sync up with the other players. I don't know exactly how to set it up but for the most part it's just plug 'n play. You might have to install seperate drivers but I'm not sure. Personally I think you should just get a wi-fi router instead and use it as it will come in more handy then this Wi-Fi connector.
    Haldrie's World
    (My official web site.)

My YouTube Channel

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Haldrie View Post
    It will not work with dial-up as the games that use it need a much faster connection in order to sync up with the other players. I don't know exactly how to set it up but for the most part it's just plug 'n play. You might have to install seperate drivers but I'm not sure. Personally I think you should just get a wi-fi router instead and use it as it will come in more handy then this Wi-Fi connector.
    How much would a router cost?

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by greendayrulestc View Post
    How much would a router cost?
    This is what I have.
    http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=2470291

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sprung View Post
    Don't know much about routers, but after I would get a router, would I have to pay for internet? Or is it just for Wi-fi connections?

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by greendayrulestc View Post
    Don't know much about routers, but after I would get a router, would I have to pay for internet? Or is it just for Wi-fi connections?
    Eh?

It's so you can use more than one computer on your Interent connection, plus it has WiFi so you can add wireless items to your network. (Wii, PS3, DS, other computers...)

Thanks

Right what Sprung said. You're already paying for Comcast service a router just allows you to spread that service to other devices.
    Haldrie's World
    (My official web site.)

My YouTube Channel

I'm in ur head, raping ur cerebral cortex
    Thanks

A router isn't necessary, the Nintendo Wi-Fi USB Connector can be hacked to work just as well as any wireless router. That's how I'm typing this message right now from my laptop.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by banned View Post
    A router isn't necessary, the Nintendo Wi-Fi USB Connector can be hacked to work just as well as any wireless router. That's how I'm typing this message right now from my laptop.
    Isn't the Nintendo WiFi adapter more than a router?

I'm in ur head, raping ur cerebral cortex
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sprung View Post
    Isn't the Nintendo WiFi adapter more than a router?
    It's an adapter, plugs into your computer and uses your current internet connection to send out a signal to your DS/Wii, if it's hacked, it can send that signal out to any wi-fi enabled device within range.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,180 Times in 550 Posts
    EP Points

If you don't want to go with the official nintendo wifi adapter there are other altenatives like Datel's WiFi Max, that's what I use with my wifi devices.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Cookie Monster View Post
    If you don't want to go with the official nintendo wifi adapter there are other altenatives like Datel's WiFi Max, that's what I use with my wifi devices.
    I might if it's significantly cheaper. A router does seem better, but, I don't necessarily need it. Thanks though, anymore alternate devices would be nice to know of. EDIT: Brand new Wi-Fi Max is the same on Amazon as the official product.
    Last edited by greendayrulestc; 30th-September-2007 at 12:10.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by banned View Post
    It's an adapter, plugs into your computer and uses your current internet connection to send out a signal to your DS/Wii, if it's hacked, it can send that signal out to any wi-fi enabled device within range.
    That didn't answer my question at all