Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Jena Six, what happened?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by malice2501 View Post
    Originally it was attempted murder, now its aggrivated assault, and they are also trying to prosecute them as adults. Something doesn't seem wrong about that to you? It may just be an overly zealous DA, or it may well be racism. Either way having kids hang out to dry like that is too severe.
    theyre 17 years old. that generally happens when you commit crimes at that age.

either way i think they should be taught a lesson about violence in general, racism aside.... beating up some kid for what he says no matter how bad whatever he said may be, is generally stupid in my book.

also in regards to the black kid that allegedly got beat up at that party.... if no charges were filed, then what would you expect.... people generally dont get arrested without getting charged with something.

Thanks
    EP Points

The story I've heard is:

1) Black kid wants to sit under the "white" tree. Nooses are put up the next day, causing outrage amongst the majority of the school's black students who then proceed to sit beneath the tree in protest. The district attorney and several members of the local police force supposedly show up and threaten the kids, something to the effect of "I could end your lives with a single pen stroke".

2) More than 3/4 of Jena's population is white. Tensions rise between the blacks and whites, to the extent of two blacks having a shotgun pointed at them in a convenience store and another black kid being beaten up at a white party.

3) Tensions boil over and a fight breaks out at the school, culminating in a white kid being injured. He's admitted to hospital and is able to walk away that same afternoon, literally mere hours later. Five of the six black kids involved in the fight are charged with attempted murder, although the charge is later dropped to second-degree battery for two of them who now face twenty two and a half years in jail, with the other three facing an eighty year sentence (I'm assuming this is all of them combined?). The sixth individual apparently hasn't been charged yet.

That's all I know, not sure how accurate it is.
    Last edited by Cosmic; 22nd-September-2007 at 22:44.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Cheezymadman View Post
    and you think that six people beating the everloving shit out one person doesn't justify "aggrevated assault"?
    They should be tried for exactly that crime. That is what they did. I don't see how anyone could possibly say that it wasn't at least aggravated assault.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sprung View Post
    You guy are welcome anytime We have bowling and Steak & Shake. Bring beer. I like beer.

Thanks

Not when its prosecuted as an adult crime, with the sentence ranging from a slap on the wrist, to fucking YEARS in prison. Not to mention, the kid went home the next day, which leads me to guess the standard for "ever loving shit" has dropped in recent years.

Also, when it got shifted from juvenile court, it stopped being simply aggrivated assault.

But as these things go, people have the inability to see past their own views, no matter how narrow, blatant, or extreme anything is. So meh.
    Last edited by malice2501; 22nd-September-2007 at 22:48.

Thanks

Not when its prosecuted as an adult crime, with the sentence ranging from a slap on the wrist, to fucking YEARS in prison. Not to mention, the kid went home the next day, which leads me to guess the standard for "ever loving shit" has dropped in recent years.
    its not about when he went home.

its about whether or not they commited said crime.

Quote Originally Posted by google definition of aggravated assault
    An unlawful attack by one person upon another for the purpose of inflicting severe or aggravated bodily injury. This type of assault usually is accompanied by the use of a weapon or by means likely to produce death or great bodily harm.
    do they fit that definition.. idk i wasnt there but from what everyone including yourself has said, they do.

Thanks

If they knocked him out, then they should serve time in prison. Why not try them as an adult? Younger people have had that happen. You shouldn't be able to jump someone and then walk away.
    You guy are welcome anytime We have bowling and Steak & Shake. Bring beer. I like beer.

Thanks

Also, when it got shifted from juvenile court, it stopped being simply aggrivated assault.
    it doesn't mean shit what actually happened to the kid. what matters is what they tried to do to him.

if you try to kill someone witha flamethrower, and only give them a first degree burn, they can still charge you with attempted murder, since that was the intent.

Thanks

An unlawful attack by one person upon another for the purpose of inflicting severe or aggravated bodily injury. This type of assault usually is accompanied by the use of a weapon or by means likely to produce death or great bodily harm.

Huh? Lets see, no weapons, obviously wasnt severe, and no great bodily harm. So how the hell did i, or anyone besides cheezy admit to this being accurate?

Quote Originally Posted by Cheezymadman View Post
    it doesn't mean shit what actually happened to the kid. what matters is what they tried to do to him.

if you try to kill someone witha flamethrower, and only give them a first degree burn, they can still charge you with attempted murder, since that was the intent.
    Lol, ok cheezy, not touching that one because youre opening a legal can of worms and i doubt that you can justify the bullshit with a bullet hole legal system.

Quote Originally Posted by strongbad View Post
    If they knocked him out, then they should serve time in prison. Why not try them as an adult? Younger people have had that happen. You shouldn't be able to jump someone and then walk away.
    Becaus the parents are negligent on both sides, the school was inactive, and they are 17. If you think sitting them in a place where people are raped on a daily bases is fine then we just simply disagree on this issue.
    Last edited by malice2501; 22nd-September-2007 at 22:54.

Thanks

Huh? Lets see, no weapons, obviously wasnt severe, and no great bodily harm. So how the hell did i, or anyone besides cheezy admit to this being accurate?
    There were six guys beating the shit out of one guy. They obviously wanted to inflict some serious damage or even kill him. When it is 6 on 1 you don't need a fucking weapon to inflict serious damage.

Lol, ok cheezy, not touching that one because youre opening a legal can of worms and i doubt that you can justify the bullshit with a bullet hole legal system.
    Cheezy is right. If you try to kill someone it is attempted murder. No matter if you hurt them or not.

Thanks

well lets start with the definition of the word usual:
    Quote Originally Posted by definition of usual
    occurring or encountered or experienced or observed frequently or in accordance with regular practice or procedure
    i believe you must have confused usual with always, that definition being:
    Quote Originally Posted by definition of always
    at all times; all the time and on every occasion
    so i think its safe to say we can knock off the weapon part of that definition... moving onto the rest of it...

lets look closer at what you posted:
    An unlawful attack by one person upon another for the purpose of inflicting severe or aggravated bodily injury.
    so... like i said.

it doesnt matter what actually happened... its about what they intended to do.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by strongbad View Post
    Cheezy is right. If you try to kill someone it is attempted murder. No matter if you hurt them or not.
    Gotta prove they meant to kill him though...

Lol, ok. Ill just step out because now we are past the whole issue and are arguing about definitions and singular words in a sentence. Typical.
    Last edited by malice2501; 22nd-September-2007 at 23:02.

Thanks

Lol, ok. Ill just step out because everyone has completely out-argued me on all points. Typical.

Thanks

Lol, ok. Ill just step out because now we are past the whole issue and are arguing about definitions and singular words in a sentence. Typical.

well had your post allowed me to infer that you knew the definition of said words, i would not have argued them.

Thanks

I can see how attempted murder might be off in this case, but aggravated assault certainly isn't.

Ok. I am just going to go ahead and declare winner then.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by PMC_Analyst View Post
    I don't know where some of you are getting your information from, but if you don't know what happened, why bother to post ignorant racist comments perpetuating the climate that exists in Jena, LA as well as many other parts of the country?
    Please, do quote said racist comments.
    While you're at it, do link us to your sources.

One black student ASKED the principal if he could sit under the "white tree", and the principal said he could sit anywhere he liked.
    Interesting. Why would anyone ever ask such a thing? The "white tree"? When I was in high school, people used to not go out back because it's where skinheads would hang out. No one ever bothered asking if they could go there. Of course they could! School property is available to everyone, but what's the point in going around, bothering people who seclude themselves to be left alone? As far as I'm concerned, this whole deal about asking the principal if he could go under that tree sounds either like BS or a way to instigate shit.

The white kids felt the tree was their tree exclusively (on government owned school property).
    Now, that's fucked up. But, even though we know this, it's a common occurrence to see kids assume a certain place as "their turf". Leave them be and move on, no?

He and some friends sat there, and the next day there were three nooses hanging. The principal recommended expulsion, but the school board and superintended overturned the decision, so they only got 3 days of in school suspension. The superintended dismissed the actions, saying it was a prank.
    Myeah, I'd have gone for a week and recommended psychological evaluations.

Anyone in this forum who insults people banding together to peacefully protest blatant racist injustice in a severely flawed legal system is the true ignorant retard.
    *blinks*
    Come again? What peaceful protestation are you talking about here?

The D.A. in this case is on the school board, which is one reason why nothing happened to the white kids. He was quoted as telling the black students that PEACEFULLY PROTESTED ,"I can make your lives disappear with one stroke of my pen" if they didn't stop protesting an "innocent prank".
    And again with this "peacefully protested" thing...
    Who heard him say that? Do you have sources or anything? If you're gonna tell me that the black kids heard it and that it's enough for you, well, it isn't for me. But, let's assume he did for the sake of argument. Way out of line, that's a given. Also demonstrate his... character, if not biases.

There is no way in hell that you can justify charging six kids (as adults) with 2nd degree murder for beating up another kid, who is released from the hospital (no injuries sustained) and attended a function later that night. The D.A. argued that the "deadly weapon" used during the assault was the black kids' tennis shoes. I realize that some of my information may not in chronological order, but they are the facts, nonetheless.
    Yes, you can. Ask for murder 2 in order to get something less, but something for sure.

Racism in Jena did not begin or end with these incidents, but this whole ordeal has just put the spotlight on that racist hellhole of a city.
    There we are. Were you involved in this or something of that sort, like living in the neighborhood or attending that school?

Anyone who's interested in hearing some FACTS about the incidents, go to NPR's website, and you can also check wiki. If it means that much to you, by all means, go seek the truth. There are repeated incidences of bias in favor of the white individuals in all of the incidences that have occurred surrounding the case, if you care to read.
    You took the time to type all of this, but you should have linked the reader yourself.

For the people in here with ignorant, idiotic comments, you sound just like the racist, sadistic morons who try to deny that the holocaust even existed.
    Godwin's, already?

If you're here to ask questions because you simply don't know, I see nothing wrong with seeking the truth. *snip*
    Sounds right, and enough of that, already. :eyeball:

Quote Originally Posted by malice
    The simple matter is the boy was released in less than 36 hours from the hospital, and somehow a bunch of kids are facing attempted murder.
    I can shoot you in the head, and though you'd survive, my intent was to kill you. But, hey, you survived, right? Should I still be charged with attempted murder? Yup! See, the thing here is that if one kid wanted to beat another, it's one thing, but, seemingly, he was joined by 5 friends who helped him kick the kid in the head as he was laying there, on the street (or wherever). Did they want to kick his ass or kill him? I mean, he was down and they kicked him in the head. If I want to teach you a lesson, I'm going to kick you in the ribs or something, not in the head. When you hit to kill, you hit the head. In my book, anyway.

So, what was the black kid doing at that party to warrant a beating? Man, this thread lacks info. :/

EDIT: Just read Cosmic's post about the peaceful protest. Myeah.
    Last edited by Evans; 22nd-September-2007 at 23:19.