Thread: Shenmue II (DC) Question

Thanks

Default Shenmue II (DC) Question

Recently I got a good deal on a Dreamcast from a thrift store for only $20.00 that works great. It can play burned CDs (I've already played SA2 and Time Stalkers on it.) without issues but enough of that. My question is regarding the ISO version of Shenmue II. Reading the NFO file it mentions a "multi language" feature for the game. While hearing the VA's in English would be nice that's not much of a big deal. What I want to know is if the on-screen text will be available in English. I don't know how to speak or read European and I've always liked Shenmue. Would suck not knowing what's going on and having to second-guess my way through the game.

Also, is there a file or ISO image that can enable PAL support for NTSC systems? Long ago I could have sworn there was a boot image that allowed PAL on NTSC systems, but I could be wrong. Anyway being I only played the first Shenmue before I'd love to play Shenmue II as well. Thank you.

PS: Sorry if this is in the wrong section, I wasn't fully certain where it should go.
    Last edited by SamusKnight2K; 18th-September-2007 at 02:59.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by SamusKnight2K View Post
    Recently I got a good deal on a Dreamcast from a thrift store for only $20.00 that works great. It can play burned CDs (I've already played SA2 and Time Stalkers on it.) without issues but enough of that. My question is regarding the ISO version of Shenmue II. Reading the NFO file it mentions a "multi language" feature for the game. While hearing the VA's in English would be nice that's not much of a big deal. What I want to know is if the on-screen text will be available in English. I don't know how to speak or read European and I've always liked Shenmue. Would suck not knowing what's going on and having to second-guess my way through the game.

Also, is there a file or ISO image that can enable PAL support for NTSC systems? Long ago I could have sworn there was a boot image that allowed PAL on NTSC systems, but I could be wrong. Anyway being I only played the first Shenmue before I'd love to play Shenmue II as well. Thank you.

PS: Sorry if this is in the wrong section, I wasn't fully certain where it should go.
    You should just get the US release of Shenmue. I'm pretty sure the EURO release has English voices, but it will be in PAL, and converting is a waste of time since the US and JAP versions are NTSC. The Jap version has subtitles in English, if I recall correctly.

EDIT: Sorry, I didn't notice it was Shenmue II. There's no US version. I've played the JAP version on my own system, and I know there's English in II, just can't remember if it's voices or subtitles.
    Last edited by Sprung; 18th-September-2007 at 03:05.

Thanks

I'm currently downloading Shenmue (US NTSC) and Shenmue II (PAL) via a torrent on Emuparadise. But my question isn't about the original Shenmue, it's about Shenmue II. And last I recall Shenmue II was never released in the United States. What I'm asking is if the PAL version of Shenmue II has English subtitles and maybe, voice overs in English. But again, English subtitles are fine as long as I can tell what's going on and where I have to go next.

And the second question is if there's a boot image or program that can be ran on an unmodded NTSC Dreamcast to support the PAL version of Shenmue II.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by SamusKnight2K View Post
    I'm currently downloading Shenmue (US NTSC) and Shenmue II (PAL) via a torrent on Emuparadise. But my question isn't about the original Shenmue, it's about Shenmue II. And last I recall Shenmue II was never released in the United States. What I'm asking is if the PAL version of Shenmue II has English subtitles and maybe, voice overs in English. But again, English subtitles are fine as long as I can tell what's going on and where I have to go next.

And the second question is if there's a boot image or program that can be ran on an unmodded NTSC Dreamcast to support the PAL version of Shenmue II.
    Yeah, I totally screwed up answering your question (I edited in some more info)

I avoid PAL releases because they never play on my TV correctly, even when patched. The only PAL ISOs I have are of games that were never released in NTSC either in the US or Japan, and I can't play them, I just archived them. I would steer you to the JAP release of Shenmue II. I've played it so there's English in there somewhere

Thanks

Hmm, only concern I have is this:

http://emuparadise.org/roms/dreamcas...e/Shenmue2.nfo

Quote Originally Posted by NFO file
    ECHELON release ripped out multilanguage files and all of the free quest
    speech. This wasn't entirely necessary. This release includes multilanguage
    files for all discs, all disc change graphics, and a proportion of the
    free quest speech depending on each disc. The free speech files also
    contained important game information for when Ryo would encounter an area
    he was looking for, in the ECHELON release he'd just focus on the sign and
    nothing would happen. Here, you'll see what he was meant to say.
    I don't know who ripped this version and if ECHELON ripped the JP version of Shenmue II then they probably gutted the multilanguage and free speech files out too. I've tried searching a UseNeXT server for Shenmue II but all that turns up is ECHELON's PAL version.

Thanks
    EP Points

I think what you're downloading from emuparadise is the good rip, by PerfectSeries

Inside of a Final Fantasy NES cartridge...
    Thanks
    EP Points

I downloaded both Shenmue 1 & 2 from that same torrent.

Trust me, they're both in English.

Thanks

Finished downloading them both yesterday so gave it a try. Took the first CD of Shenmue II and burned it to a CDR. Popped it in my Dreamcast and it read it without trouble. And it does play in English even if the voices are in Japanese. Isn't a big deal about the voices since I can at least read the subtitles. Anyway thanks all for the info! Also I think the people who ripped it prepatched it to run with an NTSC console as it does without issues on mine.

All that's left is to get a new battery for my VMU and apparently one for the Dreamcast, the one in it no longer holds a charge and I have to keep resetting the date/time whenever I play.

Thanks

Japanese games are already in NTSC format it's just that they are usually only in Japanese. As far as your VMU the only thing the battery is good for it to maintain the data and time settings and to allow you to run games and browes files on it outside of the Dreamcast controller. As for the Dreamcast battery you should look for one that is rechargable as you could risk damaging your Dreamcast if you get one that isn't as it could leak everywhere during the normal charging cycle.

Although...do you turn your Dreamcast on every now and then as it will only charge while the system is on and running since no power can get to the battery when the system is off due to the way the internal power suppy is set up.
    Haldrie's World
    (My official web site.)

My YouTube Channel

Thanks

It charges only when the system's on? I didn't know that part. Before I got it the system it hadn't been played for probably 2 years and I never left it sitting for a very long time. Longest I've had it running is about 2 hrs 2 1/2 hours then left it disconnected for about 2-3 weeks. To be precise it DID hold the savings for maybe a half-hour or so the first time. I left it running for about 10-15 minutes and when I started it back up a half hour later the settings remained. Maybe an hour after that I turned it back on to find I had to reset the time/date.

EDIT: Still holds the date and time after being off for maybe a half hour. I didn't know anything about the charging times so I'll just let it sit for awhile and see what happens. As for the game, the NFO file included in it says the game was a PAL release.
    Last edited by SamusKnight2K; 20th-September-2007 at 01:03.

Thanks

On a full charge the battery is suppose to be able to maintain the settings for about 2-3 days but I don't know how long it takes it to get to a full charge. I have 2 Dreamcasts myself and when I got my first one I often would leave either my copy of Sonic Adventure 1 or 2 running demos as I enjoyed the music and stuff while I surfed the internet or worked on various projects so my battery most likely got charged fully during those times. I would have it running for many hours just for fun as well as to test the integrity of the GD-ROM drive as was reading burned CDs. The longer it ran, the more please I was with it...until it wouldn't read anything and I broke the ribbon cable on the drive resulting in me getting a second DC along with a replacement GD-ROM drive from eBay.
    Haldrie's World
    (My official web site.)

My YouTube Channel

Thanks

Still holds a charge, guess I just let it sit unplugged or never charged it fully for too long. I left it on at the menu screen for about 4 hours the other night. Checked when I got up, date and time were there. Checked it later after work and they were still there.

Thanks

Try this, this is a non scence rip, done by a very smart DC owner
    (DC) Shenmue II Complete Edition by Xiaopang (99min RIP)
    look for this say maybe snesorama or somewhere like that (go there).
    of course you will need 99min cdrs and a compatible burner.
    See the scene rip had bit removed this is pretty pure.

Thanks

or just get it on xbox. everybody said it was lame anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by The Joker
    I believe whatever doesn't kill you simply makes you, stranger!
    The Demon who makes Trophies of Men

Thanks
    Thanked 1,180 Times in 550 Posts
    EP Points

Please, don't revive old threads like this one.