Thread: Final Fantasy 8 Disc 2 problem

Thanks

Default Final Fantasy 8 Disc 2 problem

I searched thru all the FF8 posts on the site and couldn't find anything about this.

I just defeated the oil bosses in Balamb underground and caused the place to rise up and move and whatnot. Cid had me check outside so I did. The problem is that when the cutscene is over (Rinoa is in my party) I can't get back inside. It won't let me back through the door. I'm guessing the problem has something to do with the game glitching during the cutscene but I don't know.

I use Pete's OpenGL 1.76 and ePSXe. Does anyone know what I can change in the settings to get thru this part or any other fixes?

Inside of a Final Fantasy NES cartridge...
    Thanks
    EP Points

This is a rare glitch that happens with FF8 on ePSXe:
    http://www.epforums.org/weird-proble...highlight=rare

You need to use pSX Emulator to get past that part.

Hopefully you've been using memcard saves, because if you haven't, then you're screwed.

Get pSX Emulator v 1.13 from here:
    http://psxemulator.gazaxian.com/

After setting up pSX Emulator, copy your memcard files from ePSXe to pSX Emulator and start FF8 from your last save.

Thanks
    EP Points

http://www.epforums.org/showpost.php...91&postcount=3

PSXeven works, too. Don't remember if you can use your savestates with it, assuming you have any.

Thanks

It's doubtful that any emulator's save states will work with another as the save states contain the plugin and memcard info which could crash other emulators or corrupt the games even more even if another emulator recognized the save state file.
    Haldrie's World
    (My official web site.)

My YouTube Channel

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Haldrie View Post
    It's doubtful that any emulator's save states will work with another as the save states contain the plugin and memcard info which could crash other emulators or corrupt the games even more even if another emulator recognized the save state file.
    Memcard and plugins are the same.

EDIT: Just tried, and nope, different size and all. Ah well.
    Last edited by Evans; 8th-September-2007 at 14:09.

Thanks

Awesome, it worked perfectly. I'm glad I've been saving at nearly every savepoint or I would have been screwed.

Thanks for the quick responses!!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Evans View Post
    Memcard and plugins are the same.

EDIT: Just tried, and nope, different size and all. Ah well.
    Well it contains a bit more then that and that extra info is one of the big reasons for it not working as every emulator's save states are coded differently. Even if they do contain the same info (which is doubtful) the code from one emulator is competely unreable on another (as it seems you've disovered for yourself).
    Haldrie's World
    (My official web site.)

My YouTube Channel

Thanks
    EP Points

Well it contains a bit more then that and that extra info is one of the big reasons for it not working as every emulator's save states are coded differently. Even if they do contain the same info (which is doubtful) the code from one emulator is competely unreable on another (as it seems you've disovered for yourself).
    Hmm. At least I tried instead of just going with my first assumption.

Thanks

I've worked with emulators long enough to know that their save states won't work with each other. Besides I don't use save states with CD based games anyway as I never know what's going to happen when I do. The only time I ever use save states is when I've just done something that I don't want to have to do again and I know it will be a while before I get to an actual save point.
    Haldrie's World
    (My official web site.)

My YouTube Channel

Thanks
    EP Points

I've worked with emulators long enough to know that their save states won't work with each other. Besides I don't use save states with CD based games anyway as I never know what's going to happen when I do. The only time I ever use save states is when I've just done something that I don't want to have to do again and I know it will be a while before I get to an actual save point.

Interesting how you never actually said that, but were instead pointing out how you considered it "doubtful". If you know something for certain, i.e. have tried it, usually you just say it. And, again, better to actually try than not.

/off-topic

Thanks

Just a followup...I finished FF8 (it's the worst since the NES games imo, but fantastic story, very nice ending) and I encountered the same problem 2 more times.

The second time was when I found Ragnarok on disc 3 and the third time was 3/4 of the way through the FINAL BATTLE!!! (I can't tell you how angry that made me). Both times I just copied the memory card and used pSX and it worked fine. I doubt anyone will encounter the problem the 2nd and 3rd times if they don't encounter the first one, but I figured I'd put it on here just in case.