Thread: Gamecube Softmod Toolkit

Thanks

Default Gamecube Softmod Toolkit

Does anyone have this? I just got me a Gamecube a few days ago and want to be able to play copies on it since GC games are starting to be hard to come by except in used game shops and on ebay. I want to be able to play burned discs on my GC without having to install a mod chip (already running a softmod on my PS2 ).
    Haldrie's World
    (My official web site.)

My YouTube Channel

Jackhammer is offline Administrator
    Stroke The Goat
    ┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,270 Times in 270 Posts
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Haldrie View Post
    Does anyone have this? I just got me a Gamecube a few days ago and want to be able to play copies on it since GC games are starting to be hard to come by except in used game shops and on ebay. I want to be able to play burned discs on my GC without having to install a mod chip (already running a softmod on my PS2 ).
    You can boot backups with Gcos (available from the afterdawn link) and a Max Drive Pro or Action Replay disc. The Max Drive Pro way is easier than the Action Replay. With the MDP, you can easily transfer (GcoS) onto a Gamecube memory card. I have a chipped Cube, which IMO is more compatable with backups than the softmod method. There is a way to bootbackups using an SD card, I haven't tried this so I can't say what it's like.

Here's a couple of subjects to search google for:
    Gcos and Max Drive Pro
    Gcos and Action Replay

A few links you might find useful. Most of these guides are long out of date as interest seemed to dwindle.

http://gcemu.dcemu.co.uk/tutorial-to...ing-45125.html
    http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/1/292668
    http://modthatcube.pxn-os.com/main.htm Unfortunatley this site appears to be dead, last time I checked was a few months ago and it was still there. It is/was one of the best sources of Gamecube backup info. I have included the link just incase they are down temporarily.
    Last edited by Jackhammer; 1st-September-2007 at 13:03.

Thanks

Thanks Jackhammer. This sounds like exactly what I needed. Now all I have to do is either get a Max Drive Pro or try to load the Gcos via the PSO exploit.
    Haldrie's World
    (My official web site.)

My YouTube Channel

Thanks

Yeah Jack, modthatcube was taken down a few weeks ago, I used to check all sort of stuff from there but the site has been killed. >___>

Inside of a Final Fantasy NES cartridge...
    Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Fer! View Post
    Yeah Jack, modthatcube was taken down a few weeks ago, I used to check all sort of stuff from there but the site has been killed. >___>
    The site is still up, but the downloads are gone:
    http://modthatcube.psx-scene.com/

EDIT--
    Actually, there's a few other things off-line.
    Looks like the site is dead, even though most of it is still up.

Stroke The Goat
    ┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐
    Thanks
    EP Points

Thanks Jackhammer. This sounds like exactly what I needed. Now all I have to do is either get a Max Drive Pro or try to load the Gcos via the PSO exploit.
    It would probably be cheaper and easier to get a mod chip than the hassle of trying to find a max drive pro. I got one before they stopped selling them.

I seem to remember Polobunny mentioning he had installed the cheapest Cube chip available and reported no problems with it.

Thanks

Well the problem is I really don't want to tamper with my Gamecube and don't have any way of taking it apart. That and I'm not one to use a mod chip if I can find other means of playing backups like the memory card exploit for the PS2. I also don't know anyone that knows how to solder so I'm kind of out of luck there even if I did want to.
    Haldrie's World
    (My official web site.)

My YouTube Channel

Stroke The Goat
    ┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐
    Thanks
    EP Points

Well the problem is I really don't want to tamper with my Gamecube and don't have any way of taking it apart. That and I'm not one to use a mod chip if I can find other means of playing backups like the memory card exploit for the PS2. I also don't know anyone that knows how to solder so I'm kind of out of luck there even if I did want to.
    Well sometimes you get a temperamental cube that needs the laser adjusting to read backups. You can't tell if you have a temperamental cube until you try to run backups. Also full size DVD's are cheaper and easier to find. (at least where I live) So you might have to replace the case to take full size discs, but that's a user preference and not necessary if you can get good quality mini DVD's, or (if using full size DVD's) are prepared to run the Cube with no lid and something to jam the lid sensor tricking the Cube into thinking the lid is closed.

The info for fixing can be found here. But you might drop lucky and not need to adjust the laser. Out of the 4 GC's I have, 1 chipped, I have tried the soft mod exploit on the other 3. Only 1 successfully plays backups without any adjustment, I altered the laser pot on another until it also played backups...I didn't bother with the last one.

Thanks

I already have a bunch of mini-DVD+RWs that I can book type to DVD-ROM so that they work on anything so I can just use those for the GC. Since the GC was also made to play MP3 discs (from what I've heard) it should be no problem for it to read a DVD-ROM booktyped disc if the GC discs use the same type of laser.
    Haldrie's World
    (My official web site.)

My YouTube Channel

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SegNin View Post
    The site is still up, but the downloads are gone:
    http://modthatcube.psx-scene.com/

EDIT--
    Actually, there's a few other things off-line.
    Looks like the site is dead, even though most of it is still up.
    Yeah, modthatcube and tehskeen were down a few weeks ago, but I think Maxconsole did a mirror of their page, since it was full of resources and stuff.

I suppose they will try to back everything up, since a few time ago the page didn't even loaded.

BTW Jack, I think the cheapest chip you're talking about it's the XenoGC.

Thanks
    EP Points

I already have a bunch of mini-DVD+RWs that I can book type to DVD-ROM
    Explain that to me please. I'd like to use my RW for Cube ISOs.

Stroke The Goat
    ┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐
    Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Sprung View Post
    Explain that to me please. I'd like to use my RW for Cube ISOs.
    I'd never heard of it either. I found this on google.

http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=88449

Thanks

That thread is correct but not all DVD burners can book type and others do it automatically (usually a lot of Sony burners). My grandmother has an old DVD player in here home entertainment center that even says in the manual that it will not play burned discs but every DVD+R and +RW that I throw at it that has been book typed to DVD-ROM plays flawlessly but all the DVD-R and non-book typed discs I put in it give me a disc read error. Only +R and +RW discs can be book typed and even though the PS2 (I know a bit off topic but still a good example) will accept burned disc it will play them better if they are book typed as well. I've had DVD movies that were on DVD-R and +R discs that I tryed playing in my PS2 once (non-book typed) and most of the movie kept skipping but a book typed discs played perfectly.
    Haldrie's World
    (My official web site.)

My YouTube Channel