Thread: How to use log-in form?

Thanks

Default How to use log-in form?

I found a template I want to use for my BF2 clan's site, but I've got a few problems.

Here's a preview of the site. http://www.clantemplates.com/templat...ike_leetsauce/

Now, what I'd like to do is use the username/password fields for a log-in, and then use the Quick Roster for a "who's logged in" section, with avatars. The Recent Topics section would be a good place for a script that shows the latest topics in a section of the forums.

How do I do these things?

Thanks
    EP Points

Well, the basic concept is simple enough.

- Send username/password to a php page that will process it. (login.php, for instance)
    - Lookup username/password in database. If found, add user to the 'active users' table, possibly along with other necessary info needed to populate the quick roster. Furthermore, create a cookie containing the username/password combination, so you can use that for authenticating the user on all the other pages.
    - Redirect to main page after login.

The quick roster should be fillable based on the contents of the 'active users' table, you just need to update that when someone logs in/out.

Programming web sites in PHP isn't my area of expertise, though, so there might be security issues the above doesn't take into consideration.

Thanks

I know literally zero php. So, I'd need a walkthrough.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Cheezymadman View Post
    I found a template I want to use for my BF2 clan's site, but I've got a few problems.

Here's a preview of the site. http://www.clantemplates.com/templat...ike_leetsauce/

Now, what I'd like to do is use the username/password fields for a log-in, and then use the Quick Roster for a "who's logged in" section, with avatars. The Recent Topics section would be a good place for a script that shows the latest topics in a section of the forums.

How do I do these things?
    You can use a forum script to handle this PHPBB, SMF etc. and use small piece of code that integrates this to your main page simple enough.
    Whatever forum script you decide to use you can find helpful info from the forum scripts help forum.
    I've done this with Simple Machine Boards but I've since then decided to change completely to PHPNUKE EVOLUTION CMS.
    It's better if you start using insane amounts of scripts it's easier to manage.
    Last edited by DarkCyntax; 23rd-August-2007 at 09:22.
    Definition: "love" is making a shot to the knees of a target 120 kilometers away using a Aratech sniper rifle with a tri-light scope

:: There are one-zero kinds of people. Those who understand binary and F others who understand hex ::

Webmaster of:
    http://Irregular-Network.22web.net

My PSX ISO's List:
    updated 4.01.2006 (way pass expiration date, but I still got all what's on the list so request away)
    Here