Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Games hang loading from HDD...

Thanks
    EP Points

Default Games hang loading from HDD...

I used DVD2Xbox to copy Forza Motorsport to HDD Download Links:
    Links are hidden from guests. Please register to be able to view these links. . When I launch the game, and select my profile 'dan', the game freezes. But, if I create a new profile the game plays perfectly.

Colin McRae Rally 2005. I copied to hard drive with DVD2Xbox. I select the game from XBMC's game option and I get a white screen.

I think it's something to do with the hard drive. It plays emulators and ROMs fine from hard drive, but it doesn't seem to wanna play my games...

Help. Thanks.

Jackhammer is offline Administrator
    Stroke The Goat
    ┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,270 Times in 270 Posts
    EP Points

I normally ftp my games to the hdd. I run them through the Evox dash...

As for your white screen, the only one I remember off hand having a problem with was Fight Night Round 3, it was an NTSC game. I've had NTSC working before, but I had to run Enigmah Videomode Switchdisc to get that one working.

You could also try deleting your cache folders...

Edit: Found this...It's a bit long winded so I've used spoiler tags.

Spoiler warning:
    Game Backup/Freeze Problems
    How to Fix 90% of Game Backup Problems

Every week when new games are released the Backup Forums (and Newbie Chat) are inundated with posts saying "Such and Such game locks up! What do I do?" A huge number of posts on the main page of the Backup Forum are about how someone is having a problems backing up a specific game (i.e. KOTOR, GTA, Crimson Skies, etc.).

These problems are hardly ever game specific. There are only a few games that have specific problems. For the most part game freezes happen for the same reasons on every game.

Follow these steps (one or more of them could be causing the problem) and chances are your game backup will play perfectly.

1.) Turn off IGR (Evolution X)

Problem:
    The IGR in Evolution X has been known to have issues with some setups. Turning it off and using an IGR in your BIOS will alleviate any potential problems with games locking up on the "loading" screen.

Solution:
    IGR (or In Game Reset) is toggled on/off through your evox.ini. It resides in three separate places: [Misc], [FTP] and [RDTOOLS]. Make sure each instance of IGR in the evox.ini file looks like the following:

CODE
    IGR = No

You can either do this in Evolution X through System Utilities/Settings (remember to save and exit) or by editing your evox.ini file and uploading it to your Xbox via FTP.

2.) Patch the Game

Problem:
    A media check (read: copy protection) in newer games causes the game to lockup during loading. This usually occurs later than an IGR game freeze. All games released after February 2003 contain this media checks and it has several variations. The media check has been put in place so that the Xbox can verify that the game disc is a legitimate copy.

Solution:
    The game can be patched any number of ways.

Backup to DVD (PC)
    You can use a patching program such as Craxtion, Qwix or ADR Patcher. These programs are designed to go through the XBE files on your computer and actually patch them to remove the media checks.

Backup to Hard Drive (Xbox)
    There are programs that will auto patch games while backing them up to the hard drive. These programs include dvd2xbox and Px-HDD Loader.

BIOS Upgrade
    Newer BIOS versions (Xecutor 4977 or later, Evox M7 or later) can auto patch games on the fly. This allows you to play backed up games on your modded Xbox even if they contain the media check.

3.) Set Your System Clock

Problem:
    Games tend to freeze during game play. This will often happen when games are auto saving and run into errors (i.e. the Xbox reporting a date of 11-15-2001).

Solution:
    Set your system clock through MS Dashboard/settings. If you leave your Xbox unplugged for 4 hours or longer the clock will need to be reset when you boot it back up.

4.) Clear Your Cache

Problem:
    When you load games, the loads are temporarily stored in "cache" to speed up load times. This works on the same principle as web browsing. HTML files and images are temporarily stored in a cache or temporary directory so that the sites you visit the most often don't have to load the same graphics and text again and again, increasing the speed of your web browsing. Games do the same thing so that your load times speed up.

Occasionally these cache files will get corrupted or will not erase properly. This and causes a game to freeze or not load properly.

Solution:
    Delete your cache files. The following directories can be emptied (delete all the files inside, not the directories themselves).

CODE

E:\CACHE
    X:\
    Y:\
    Z:\

5.) Game Specific Patches

Problem:
    Some games have long file names that work fine with the DVD file structure but don't work on the Xbox hard drive's "Fat-X" file system. There are only a few games that have this problem (most notably: Enter the Matrix).

Solution:
    In order to run these games on the Xbox hard drive, the filenames have to be changed and the game has to be patched to look for the new, shorter, file names.

6.) Switch Video Mode between PAL/NTSC
    Use enigmah video selector to do this.

7.) Delete Save Game Files (Last Resort)

Problem:
    A corrupted save game file makes it impossible for a game to launch properly or the game freezes when trying to load a game.

Solution:
    Delete the save game files for that game. Obviously this is a last resort because no one wants to lose all the progress they've made in a given game. Your game saves are located in the following directories:

CODE

E:\TDATA
    E:\UDATA

These directories are pretty hard to decipher on their own. You would be best served to download XBox-Saves Manager. This program, if you are not familiar with it, will FTP into your Xbox and allow you to read the save game files to see what games they represent. You can then delete the offending file from the game giving you trouble.
    Last edited by Jackhammer; 12th-August-2007 at 11:45.

Thanks
    EP Points

Caches were emptied.

XBMC has a video mode selection option. [You really shouldn't use EvoX Jack. It's crap].

I guess I could try extracting it to ISO and FTPing it...

Stroke The Goat
    ┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐
    Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Astaroth View Post
    Caches were emptied.

XBMC has a video mode selection option. [You really shouldn't use EvoX Jack. It's crap].

I guess I could try extracting it to ISO and FTPing it...

My games work, yours don't.

Check the edit.
    Last edited by Jackhammer; 12th-August-2007 at 11:48.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Jackhammer View Post
    My games work, your's don't.

Check the edit.
    Yeah. Only thing I can think of doing from that list is patching the XBE. This game was an EARLY backup I made (late '06), I didn't know about XBE patching then. I just dvd2xbox'd it, then ISO'd it with Qwix.

Stroke The Goat
    ┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐
    Thanks
    EP Points

I don't think your hdd is the problem as your emulators work.

If you have it, try running "Neighbours From Hell" from the hdd. It is only about 600-700mb and it definitely works...

Thanks
    EP Points

I don't think your hdd is the problem as your emulators work.

If you have it, try running "Neighbours From Hell" from the hdd. It is only about 600-700mb and it definitely works...
    Nah. I don't have that.
    I've gotta lot of games on the hard drive *Cough* I'll Qwix and FTP right now.
    I'll edit this post as to whether it worked or not.
    Thanks for your help, Jack.

Call Of Duty 3 ProjectX release. Extracted with Qwix. FTP'd to Xbox. Loaded up, selected the game, loaded to the press start screen. Pressed start. Game locked up.

Only thing that I can think of is because its E partition is 4.3GB and F partition is 70GB. Why the hell does it have an F drive? It's not over 113GB, the hard drive.
    Last edited by Mikey; 12th-August-2007 at 17:18.

Stroke The Goat
    ┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐
    Thanks
    EP Points

After a quick check of your Xbox list, I have Lego Star Wars II on my hdd right now. It works with no problems...Try that.

Thanks
    EP Points

After a quick check of your Xbox list, I have Lego Star Wars II on my hdd right now. It works with no problems...Try that.
    No games (bar FatX uncompliant ones) Should work from hard drive amirite?

Well anyway. You're the boss. I'll do that now.

Stroke The Goat
    ┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐
    Thanks
    EP Points

No games (bar FatX uncompliant ones) Should work from hard drive amirite?

Well anyway. You're the boss. I'll do that now.
    It might make a difference which soft mod you've used..

Also, I have had the odd game that wouldn't work under Evox that loaded under another dash.

Thanks
    EP Points

It might make a difference which soft mod you've used..

Also, I have had the odd game that wouldn't work under Evox that loaded under another dash.
    SID 2.0. Old as fuck, I know.
    I can update it with SID 5.01, if you think that's going to make a difference.
    Also, I might try EvoX/UnleashX as an app, to load these games, see if that works.

Restoring an M$ backup on an 80GB hard drive isn't going to brick it, is it?

Stroke The Goat
    ┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐
    Thanks
    EP Points

SID 2.0. Old as fuck, I know.
    I can update it with SID 5.01, if you think that's going to make a difference.
    Also, I might try EvoX/UnleashX as an app, to load these games, see if that works.

Restoring an M$ backup on an 80GB hard drive isn't going to brick it, is it?
    I used Softmod Installer Deluxe v2.0...also old as fuck.

I have only ever soft modded a stock hdd, then copied all the files to the larger hdd afterwards. I don't know what would happen if you tried to mod an 80gb from scratch.

Thanks
    EP Points

I used Softmod Installer Deluxe v2.0...also old as fuck.

I have only ever soft modded a stock hdd, then copied all the files to the larger hdd afterwards. I don't know what would happen if you tried to mod an 80gb from scratch.
    Okay.

Lego Star Wars II - Copied to hdd with DVD2Xbox. Plays fine, Idk about when I try to load up a save though. I'll report back with that bit asap.

Stroke The Goat
    ┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐
    Thanks
    EP Points

Okay.

Lego Star Wars II - Copied to hdd with DVD2Xbox. Plays fine, Idk about when I try to load up a save though. I'll report back with that bit asap.
    Ok...

Thanks
    EP Points

Lego Star Wars II- Saved/Loaded. Works perfectly.

So why not COD3/Forza?

Patched Forza's .xbe, still doesn't load my profile.
    Last edited by Inferno.; 12th-August-2007 at 14:21.