Thread: Need some modchip info for a PS2 Slim

Thanks
    EP Points

Default Need some modchip info for a PS2 Slim

Well as some of you know I have a slim PS2 that had the soft mod Swap Magic v3.6/Magic Keys 2 setup installed in it, but unfortunately I played my PS2 so damn much that the Magic Keys 2 set fell apart so bad I can't use it anymore.

The piece on the disc brake started not scratching, but engraving discs I put in it. (Alas poor MGS 3 SE I knew thee well) Yeah it ruined my legit copy of MGS 3 SE. Then the metal piece with the hook like attachment that you put towards the very back of the cover no longer sticks whatsoever and sometimes whole I'm playing a game it will come up and the disc will stop spinning hence a stalled/frozen game. Also, I think that piece will also snap in a few more uses so I have no other choice, but to turn to EP and ask these questions:

1.) What's the Best/Most Compatible Modchip for a Slim PS2?

2.) Which Modchip(s) support DVD-9 (Not that I can afford DVD-9, but just in case)

3.) Are there such things as sodderless modchips?

4.) Lets say in theory that the modchip I do decide to purchase does not run a game. And lets say the Swap Magic Discs can run the game. Is a Modchip able to boot the Swap Magic discs and then from the SM discs be able to boot the backup via the swap magic discs?

5.) I am aware that opening the PS2 Slim is a tricky task. B/c if the cover is removed the wrong way the reset button will no longer work at all. Can someone tell me how to open and remove the cover of the PS2 slim carefully so I won't fuck up my reset button? (Thus destroying my PS2) Linking me to a full walkthrough/guide would be helpful as well.

6.) Can someone tell me/link me to a soldering guide for these modchips or post a link to the tools I'll need to sodder the modchip on?

7.) Can someone link me to a reputable dealer in the US for this purchase?

P.S. I'm having trouble getting the screws off the PS2 to get the damn cover off. Which way am I supposed to be turning the damn things? I can't seem to get them off with a regular screw driver.

Thanks
    EP Points

1) Matrix Infinity or the Crystal.

2) Almost the new PS2 modchips are capable of that.

3) Yes, however its might give problems even on a complete installation. Soldering is the best way to ensure complete connections.

4) I am not sure. You have to read the modchip's documanations.

5) I have sources, so I post them when you reply me.

6) Likely impossible unless you got excellent soldering skills. Even I have problems soldering on that kind of threads on the PS2 board.

7) www.mod-chip.com
    Regards,
    fireblaster_lyz

Help in setting or using ePSXe? Get all the info you need using the ePSXe Configuration Handbook

Thanks
    EP Points

ok I replied now you can go into detail about removing the cover and whatnot.

Also, any ever hear of this:

Federal customs agents Wednesday raided more than 30 businesses and homes in 16 states, looking for devices that allow pirated video games to play on Wiis, PlayStation 2s and Xboxes.
    The alleged sale and distribution of illegal modification chips and copyright circumvention devices for the popular consoles and others included 32 search warrants in 16 states, said the U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement.
    ICE declined to release the names of those targeted but said they are allegedly responsible for importing, installing, selling and distributing foreign-made devices smuggled into the U.S.

Illegal chips and other devices used on gaming consoles violate the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998. Sales of counterfeit or illegally obtained games costs the industry about $3 billion a year globally, not including Internet piracy, estimates the Entertainment Software Association trade group.

Redmond, Wash.-based Microsoft Corp. issued a statement applauding ICE's efforts to reduce piracy and protect the gaming industry's intellectual property. A company spokeswoman would not divulge Microsoft's individual piracy losses.

The raids were conducted in: California, Florida, Hawaii, Idaho, Illinois, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, New York, North Carolina, Ohio, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Texas and Wisconsin.
    Now are these the states that you shouldn't buy chips from? or are these the states that you shouldn't live in when you buy one?

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Ktiger41 View Post
    ok I replied now you can go into detail about removing the cover and whatnot.

Also, any ever hear of this:

Now are these the states that you shouldn't buy chips from? or are these the states that you shouldn't live in when you buy one?
    Yes, we've heard and some have discussed in this thread: http://www.epforums.org/ice-pirate-r...998/index.html . I would say that you shouldn't live in those states when you buy one, but that doesn't mean that they won't raid other houses in other states. I would think that the risk would be the same in any state, though.
    Last edited by Tanthias; 4th-August-2007 at 16:13.

Thanks

Ktiger, removing the cover of the PS2 Slim is tricky, but easy if you're careful. I suppose you do know where the screws are. If not, they're located in the base of the PS2 (duh) but they're covered by little squares of plastic, you can remove them easily with a slim screwdriver.

Now, after you remove the screws, you gotta take it apart from the Memory Card side to the Power/Reset button side, VERY CAREFULLY, you'll notice that when you have lifted the left part of the PS2, the other side will be very hard to move, now, try to see if the little sensor inside the CD tray is still sitting on the rest of the PS2, you'll notice a small piece of green plastic that it's the one that powers on the PS2. So if the piece is still sitting in the PS2, without getting moved if you're moving the cover, you're going well.

Now, try to apply some force to remove the cover, you may hear a CRACK sound, but it's okay, I got scared by it actually.

You should see the whole PS2 motherboard and what not, and since you said that the Magic Keys aren't working anymore, you can try to tape the sensors, and see if it works.

I hope it helps.

Thanks

AHHH! dont solder electronics big no-no your lucky if you dont ruin the whole console!

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Fer! View Post
    Ktiger, removing the cover of the PS2 Slim is tricky, but easy if you're careful. I suppose you do know where the screws are. If not, they're located in the base of the PS2 (duh) but they're covered by little squares of plastic, you can remove them easily with a slim screwdriver.

Now, after you remove the screws, you gotta take it apart from the Memory Card side to the Power/Reset button side, VERY CAREFULLY, you'll notice that when you have lifted the left part of the PS2, the other side will be very hard to move, now, try to see if the little sensor inside the CD tray is still sitting on the rest of the PS2, you'll notice a small piece of green plastic that it's the one that powers on the PS2. So if the piece is still sitting in the PS2, without getting moved if you're moving the cover, you're going well.

Now, try to apply some force to remove the cover, you may hear a CRACK sound, but it's okay, I got scared by it actually.

You should see the whole PS2 motherboard and what not, and since you said that the Magic Keys aren't working anymore, you can try to tape the sensors, and see if it works.

I hope it helps.
    that is a much better idea than a chip actually... b/c I do have a magic switch set as well (i.e. the piece that is an alternate to the metal clip that goes towards the back of the flip lid) so i guess I could try opening it and taping that piece in there before shelling out for a chip

but i had 2 issues with the magic keys 2 breakdown. The pther issue is the disc brake piece engraves my discs. (The primary reason I stopped using my PS2. Poor legit MGS3 SE ) Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I can put in the discs breaks hole to keep the break from well stoping the discs? B/c i dont want to put anything where the metal disc brake piece went b/c that would totally defeat the purpose of repalcing the piece. i.e. whatever I stick there will still have the chance of engraving my discs, so I need to find something to put in the disc brake's upper hole. (It's the hole on top of the back plastic. not in the area where the disc spins) The upper hole I'm talking about is created when you push the disc break to the right.

Currently I have been shoving 3 slim/flat toothpicks in there all at once, but that wont work forever and they are too tall. I want to somehow actuall shut my lid (yeah I've been playing the whole time with the lid always open)

Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks to anyone who will help me out.