Thread: Need help setting up a LAN Network for gaming

Thanks
    EP Points

Default Need help setting up a LAN Network for gaming

Yeah, just as the thread title suggests. I would like to setup a LAN Network between my 2 computers so I can play games with my friends via the computers.

I would like to know exactly what pieces of hardware I would need to make this all happen. A guide that shows exactly how to do the entire setup process would help.

btw, the 2 computers are close in stats.

Computer #1:
    Windows XP MCE SP2
    2.8GHz P4 Dual Core
    1GB RAM

Computer #2:
    Windows XP Home SP2
    3.0GHz P4
    768MB RAM

Thanks
    EP Points

If both computers already have network cards, then you should only need a crossover CAT5 cable. If they both are hooked to routers or hubs, then a standard CAT5 should link them.

Thanks
    EP Points

ummm a bit dumb at this... (Hence my posting) I do know what a CAT5 cable is, but is a crossover CAT5 cable the same thing?

I am not particularly sure what a network card would look like... (Is it the cable port that has the three computers in a triangular formation on it?) if so, then i wouldn't need a router/hub at all? or would I still need a router/hub regardless if they both have network cards?

--EDIT--
    I do not have a router or hub. These two computers were solo machines. Never networked or tried to network them until now.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Ktiger41 View Post
    ummm a bit dumb at this... (Hence my posting) I do know what a CAT5 cable is, but is a crossover CAT5 cable the same thing?

I am not particularly sure what a network card would look like... (Is it the cable port that has the three computers in a triangular formation on it?) if so, then i wouldn't need a router/hub at all? or would I still need a router/hub regardless if they both have network cards?

--EDIT--
    I do not have a router or hub. These two computers were solo machines. Never networked or tried to network them until now.
    A network card plug looks like a regular telephone plug, but it's larger. A CAT5 cable is a regular networking cable you see at WalMart or OfficeMax...they look like larger phone cords.

The plug looks like this:

You may or may not have lights...

A Crossover CAT5 is a special CAT5 cable that has the outer two wires switched so that whenever a computer is attached to it, it creates it's own IP address. All the Crossover cables I have had were always yellow, but I don't know if that is a standard or not.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Sprung View Post
    A network card plug looks like a regular telephone plug, but it's larger. A CAT5 cable is a regular networking cable you see at WalMart or OfficeMax...they look like larger phone cords.

The plug looks like this:

You may or may not have lights...

A Crossover CAT5 is a special CAT5 cable that has the outer two wires switched so that whenever a computer is attached to it, it creates it's own IP address. All the Crossover cables I have had were always yellow, but I don't know if that is a standard or not.
    So in theory I would only need 1 CAT 5 Crossover cable that has one end hooked into one computer and the other end hooked into the other computer correct?

Thanks
    EP Points

@ Above post, yes.

Once you've got them both linked go to the control panel (classic view) "Network setup wizard". That'll create your network.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sprung View Post

It's not a standard, but most crossover cables are a different colour from the regular ones (crossovers are usually red or yellow, regular is usually blue or black. iirc. It's been a while since I trained in the computer industry).

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Astaroth View Post
    @ Above post, yes.

Once you've got them both linked go to the control panel (classic view) "Network setup wizard". That'll create your network.
    For real? Thats it? Just 2 Network Cards and 1 CAT5 Crossover? No Router/Hub? I do plan on only using this Network for playing games via LAN and possibly some file sharing...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ktiger41 View Post
    For real? Thats it? Just 2 Network Cards and 1 CAT5 Crossover? No Router/Hub? I do plan on only using this Network for playing games via LAN and possibly some file sharing...
    No router necessary unless you want both machines on the net at once (well, even that can be done without a router. A router's just a shitload less hassle in the long run).

Thanks
    EP Points

Never, ever go by color. There is absolutely no standard to the cables at all. The only time in my Cisco networking history that I saw something different was a flat cable = rollover cable, but even that isnt necessary

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Borman View Post
    Never, ever go by color. There is absolutely no standard to the cables at all. The only time in my Cisco networking history that I saw something different was a flat cable = rollover cable, but even that isnt necessary
    Yep.
    I've many network cables. In the UK crossovers tend to be grey, but there are normal RJ45 wires that are grey. Make sure you're checking to see if it says 'X-over' (that's what a shop in the UK calls them), or 'Cross over'.

Yep. That's all you need. 2 network cards, 1 crossover. I'm using that set up on my Xbox & PC at this very moment. I've got the internet set up to be shared with the Xbox. I'm assuming it's the same for the PC. Also, filesharing can be set up, too.

@ The colours;
    My wires are:
    1m RJ45 cable: yellow.
    10m RJ45 cable: Blue
    5M crossover cable: grey.
    1M crossove cable: grey.