Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The New Executive Order: The government can sieze all assets.

Thanks
    EP Points

What a newbie.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Cheezymadman View Post
    Because I'm not some activist dumbass that spouts off at the mouth about "bringing down the machine" or "stopping the war mongers" or some propagandist bullshit like that.

I'm not for the war (not particularly against it, either), but I'm not about to go to a rally and scream for impeachment.
    But that's exactly the point I was making, and exactly why this is scary: there's nothing that says that you even have to be. By this act, the government can seize the assets of anyone that they 'suspect' to be a 'threat'. Nothing is specifically defined, you don't need to have any sort of record, and they don't even need any proof. I'm sorry, but that is just screwed up no matter how you cut it. I'm not saying that the government will use the act in that manner, but the very fact that they could makes this act way too dangerous to ever be passed, and way too important to be ignored or disregarded. There's making mountains out of molehills (or, I suppose, Nessies out of floating tyres), and there's simply acknowledging the inherent danger of something.

(Aii... I became a moderator within a few months the first time around too. Everyone here is so nice. )

Thanks

The point is that there is no need for executive orders like this. The fact that it is being considered is ridiculous.
    "Alcohol may be man's worst enemy, but the bible says love your enemy." -Frank Sinatra

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Kosmo Yagkoto View Post
    The point is that there is no need for executive orders like this. The fact that it is being considered is ridiculous.
    I agree, and the fact that this could go through is kind of scary if you think about it. I for one truly believe that this will be shot down by Congress, but on the chance that the vote to stop the order is less than 2/3, then this order would be extremely bad news. As Melody and others have pointed out, the order itself is vague, and they don't really need any proof to take everything away from you. I try to stay away from politics, but when something as dumb as this is announced, and there is a chance that it will go through, I can't help but point out the obvious dangers this could have in the future. I'd hope that the order, if it did somehow make it through, would never be abused, but let's face facts here: this is the real world and orders like this, even if made in good faith, have the very real possibility of being abused. Agree with me or not, that's your right to your opinion, and personally, I'd like to be able to voice an opinion without worrying if doing so will cause me to lose everything.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tanthias View Post
    I agree, and the fact that this could go through is kind of scary if you think about it. I for one truly believe that this will be shot down by Congress, but on the chance that the vote to stop the order is less than 2/3, then this order would be extremely bad news. As Melody and others have pointed out, the order itself is vague, and they don't really need any proof to take everything away from you. I try to stay away from politics, but when something as dumb as this is announced, and there is a chance that it will go through, I can't help but point out the obvious dangers this could have in the future. I'd hope that the order, if it did somehow make it through, would never be abused, but let's face facts here: this is the real world and orders like this, even if made in good faith, have the very real possibility of being abused. Agree with me or not, that's your right to your opinion, and personally, I'd like to be able to voice an opinion without worrying if doing so will cause me to lose everything.
    I agree whole-heartedly
    "Alcohol may be man's worst enemy, but the bible says love your enemy." -Frank Sinatra

Thanks
    EP Points

There's a heated political discussion at work about how Australia is becoming a more fascist government, along with the U.S. It's really fucking scary.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous. View Post
    There's a heated political discussion at work about how Australia is becoming a more fascist government, along with the U.S. It's really fucking scary.
    Given the screwjob our current government is giving Haneef, it's hardly something that takes a lot of effort to argue.

Thanks

lol, the guy with the huge eyebrows was always funny.

I'm the bastard that created The Hang Out many years ago
    I like to remind people to feed my ego

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rekuja View Post
    lol, the guy with the huge eyebrows was always funny.
    It's name is Howard. No-one seems to be sure where he came from, but I suspect that he's really a malevolent garden gnome.
    Last edited by Dr Mario; 24th-July-2007 at 11:45.

Thanks
    EP Points

Wait... United States... democracy?

LOL AMERICA LOL

Thanks

he fell!

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599...l?from=mostpop (video inside)

gotta love Australian News.
    Last edited by Rekuja; 24th-July-2007 at 16:27.

I'm the bastard that created The Hang Out many years ago
    I like to remind people to feed my ego

Thanks

Get this, I read in the newspaper that their debating whether microchip implants will be allowed to track individuals.Now that's fucking scary.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MuayThai65 View Post
    Get this, I read in the newspaper that their debating whether microchip implants will be allowed to track individuals.Now that's fucking scary.
    Big government's response to that: If you have nothing to hide, what's the problem?

My response to that: Government should mind its own business.

Inside of a Final Fantasy NES cartridge...
    Thanks
    EP Points

Big government's response to that: If you have nothing to hide, what's the problem?

My response to that would be:
    Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely.

And the more control you have over us, the more absolute your power becomes.

Thanks

Big government's response: Sorry you could be a terrorist.
    Last edited by MuayThai65; 24th-July-2007 at 18:48.