Thread: Emulators and Roms for Sale???

Knigge Guest

Question Emulators and Roms for Sale???

Hi there,
    I�ve seen how some Americans have been selling Nintendo and Sega Roms with Emulators on one CD. I thought this was illegal, though I would like to try it myself in Germany now that I have seen it in the U.S. Do you think I would get myself into legal trouble? I know you might not know a lot about German law, but at least you can tell me how a couple of Americans managed to set up a company selling Roms on burned CDs.
    Knigge

Dr_Ackula Guest
    Not only is it illegal but it really really hurts the emulation scene alot as well. We only need a few lamers selling roms to cause alot of trouble for our emulation community. PLEASE never sell roms or emulaters to anyone!!

leogeo2 Guest

besides, why would you buy a CD-ROM containing N64 emulators and roms when you could just download them off the internet. sure, i burn roms and emulators into CD-ROMS, but i don't sell them. i just give them to my good friends who's internet connection is very slow. is that illegal too?

Dr_Ackula Guest

It is completely legal to download roms as long as you own the actual game. If you do not own the actual game the roms must be downloaded for archiving purposes only, and deleted within 24 hours. Think of it as test driving a new car before you buy it.

Fredricos Guest
    um..
    lmao...why dont they close down roms sites then,? if they know that noone owns the games they are downloading?

Dr_Ackula Guest

Hopefully no one is downloading a rom they do not own.......and if they are they are deleting them after 24 hours..this is not funny stuff it's true, and very serious as well.

S4T4N Guest

Exclamation

The Truth Behind Emulation.....
    Emulation is in no way illegal. It is however illegal if you have a rom on your computer complete with a emulator. Thats why in all most sites will only offer one or the other. If you try posting a Emupage on angelfire of geocities it will problue be taken down because they dont want it. So in all dont worry just dont keep emulation page. And clean your cookies and temp files because if they find one that was downloaded they can pin it on you

Ziegfried Guest

Red face

I'm pretty sure i've read somewhere that all those laws about emulation (delete within 24 hrs,etc etc etc) dont actually exist! is it true?Oh well even if they are i guess it dont matter, does anyone really listen to that? :p ...btw i thought that all emu sites on geocities were crap,i didnt know that they werent actually supposed to work!thx satan

djesiret Guest

Red face

Not sure about that..
    never actually saw it in any law book, but copyright protection is pretty strict. I'm sure roms are illegal. I myself, om *cough* archive roms *cough* to protect the purchase of many fine game companies customers *cough* - actually I delete all roms within 24 hrs. :p