Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Problem trying to run X-Men: Children of the Atom

Thanks
    EP Points

Default Problem trying to run X-Men: Children of the Atom

Well, I thought I'd check out X-Men on MAME32 (yes, I've never played it ), and got a message saying I was missing several rom files for it to run. But I've looked at 2 or 3 good rom sites, and they have the same 4 files, not the 10 or more I need to run it. I audited the game to see what I need, but the 4 files I have aren't listed. Are those many files encrypted in the four that I have, or is this a special case rom?

Thanks
    EP Points

Which files are missing? I can check my copy and upload them for ya.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmic View Post
    Which files are missing? I can check my copy and upload them for ya.

Where did you get your "working" romset?

Thanks

The files you need may be combined with a different region. Try download all availible regions for this game and one of them should have the files you are missing.
    Haldrie's World
    (My official web site.)

My YouTube Channel

Thanks

Not every rom is compatible with mame. I would recommend you to use winkawaks coz its really good. You can get the latest version of winkawaks here...

http://kawaks.retrogames.com/

For playing any game in winkawaks, you need to download the winkawaks-compatible version of that rom.

Go here to get them....

http://www.retroroms.net/modules/news/

Get registered and LOG IN. After logging in, click "Downloads" in the section on the left hand side. It will again tell you to input username and password but this time for getting access to the rom servers. Those remain the same as your login username and password.

Then click "downloads" and then choose "Winkawaks". It will show you all the winkawaks roms, aka cps1, cps2 and neogeo roms. Scroll down or make a search for "Children of Atom" and download the relevant rom and play

Trust me, its WORTH IT. Winkawaks is an awesome emulator and online multiplayer (kaillera) is just AWESOME....

If you want to play Neo Geo games in winkawaks, you would require the Neo-Geo BIOS. Its also available in that list named "neogeo.zip" Download that and put it in the Neo Geo roms folder in winkawaks.

Enjoy!!!
    Last edited by Kazekage Gaara; 9th-July-2007 at 17:09.

| LG OLED G1 65-Inch | Ryzen 5 5600x @ 4.75Ghz | ASUS ROG Strix B550-F Gaming | Zotac RTX 3080 Ti Amp Extreme Holo 12GB GDDR6X | WD Black SN850 1TB | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 16 GB DDR4 3600 MHz | Lian Li Galahad 240 AIO | ASUS ROG Strix 850W Gold | Xbox One Wireless Controller | Nintendo Switch (Atmosphere) |

Jackhammer is offline Administrator
    Stroke The Goat
    ┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,269 Times in 270 Posts
    EP Points

There's a few different versions here.

http://planetemu.net/index.php?secti...dat=615&page=x

Thanks

Looks like the Euro version has all the missing rom files (19MB).
    Haldrie's World
    (My official web site.)

My YouTube Channel

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Haldrie View Post
    Yup It was a little weird coz when I downloaded the EU rom from the link I gave above, it was 19 MB and the US version was just 1.2 MB

Well, it shouldn't make any difference if you play the US or the EU version and you can always mess with the region settings in the emulator itself

| LG OLED G1 65-Inch | Ryzen 5 5600x @ 4.75Ghz | ASUS ROG Strix B550-F Gaming | Zotac RTX 3080 Ti Amp Extreme Holo 12GB GDDR6X | WD Black SN850 1TB | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 16 GB DDR4 3600 MHz | Lian Li Galahad 240 AIO | ASUS ROG Strix 850W Gold | Xbox One Wireless Controller | Nintendo Switch (Atmosphere) |

Jackhammer is offline Administrator
    Stroke The Goat
    ┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,269 Times in 270 Posts
    EP Points

I've dloaded it to compare.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Crash View Post
    Where did you get your "working" romset?
    I honestly can't remember where I got it, it's been on here for a few years now. You can download it from Rom Hustler though. That one seems to be the right size, but if you're still having trouble I can upload mine to Rapidshare or something.

Thanks
    EP Points

Winkawaks has Kaillera support? Just what I was wanting, and I download MAME32K Plus! Plus!, then went to the MAME forums because I had the same problem. So I posted a topic and Haze replied saying I was near a ban for discussing an illegal build. I didn't realize that MAME32K++ didn't have its source code on the internet, and Haze told me it's a potential security risk because some kind of code can allow users to control your computer through Kaillera. So I ran away from that one and deleted the folder, then went back to MAME32. Do you guys think that info is relevant?

Anyhow, I downloaded the romset (do you call them romsets or roms, I'm not sure, but I like romsets) from Romhustler and got the correct zip! But I noticed one small detail aside from other romsites, there's no 5-digit number or so after the name. The bad romset I was getting had like a 5-digit number in the name, so does that have something to do with it? Even though I got the right romset now, I wanna try Winkawaks because it has Kaillera. Thanks for the suggestions guys! Muchly appreciated!

EDIT: Huh, that's weird... I had all the files except two, xmnu.03e and xmnu.04e. Those were found from my previous dump that didn't work! I'm guessing it's a version problem, but once I got that fixed the game started as normal.

EDIT2: Well, I've come to the conclusion that the "bad dump" I was getting all this time was the one for Kawaks? Because those same exact 4 files are in the US version of the zip at retroroms.com (with those same 5 numbers)! But still, a problem persists, Kawaks says it can't find one of the files from my working dump (19MB), which is probably telling me it needs all those files back, which defeats the purpose of getting Kawaks in the first place, other than it's simpler and supports Kaillera. Whew! Long sentence

So Kazekage Gaara, are you sure about the Kawaks roms? I still have MAME32 I can use for now, but I'll probably be using Kawaks overall.
    Last edited by Crash; 9th-July-2007 at 19:41.

Thanks

The thing about a lot of these romsets (they are called romsets for arcade games since it's more then one file to run the game) is that only a couple of the files are different in each region while a lot of the other stuff like animations, sound and pics stay the same. Kawaks has the ablity to take files from one region's romset and use it in another (you will notice in the game selection a list of the "parent" set that the needed files are expected to be in). Doing this saves hard drive space so you don't have to have multiple copies of the same file for differect regions. I don't know about MAME since I only used it once and not very much but I would assume it does the same thing. I also recall that I had to download the Euro version in order to get the US version to work for me. It has been several years since I last used any arcade emulator now so a lot of what I'm saying is from memory and is about a much outdated version of Kawaks.
    Haldrie's World
    (My official web site.)

My YouTube Channel

Inside of a Final Fantasy NES cartridge...
    Thanks
    EP Points

Kawaks has the ablity to take files from one region's romset and use it in another (you will notice in the game selection a list of the "parent" set that the needed files are expected to be in). Doing this saves hard drive space so you don't have to have multiple copies of the same file for differect regions. I don't know about MAME since I only used it once and not very much but I would assume it does the same thing.
    You're right, MAME works the same way.

Do you still need any rom files, Crash?
    Last edited by SegNin; 10th-July-2007 at 07:05.

Thanks
    EP Points

Well MAME32 works with the romset I have now, but Kawaks says it needs one file from the set I have in there, which is telling me its not seeing the roms. I put a folder named "xmcotau" in the cps2 folder in roms. I used the internal name because I believe that's the name I need for the folder. But it still doesn't see it... Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks

I guess it's time for me to load up Kawaks on my computer again and see. I also just so happen to have this game from years ago.

[EDIT]
    You have to keep them in the zip file in order for them to work.
    Last edited by Haldrie; 10th-July-2007 at 12:48.
    Haldrie's World
    (My official web site.)

My YouTube Channel