Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: looking into this PSP deal thingy...

Thanks
    EP Points

Default looking into this PSP deal thingy...

Oki, I apologize but for no reason am I gonna sift through all the threads on the forum to peice together my information on the things I need for a PSP. I just won't do it. I don't have the patience.

So I am lookign to buy a brand s[ankin' new PSP fro mteh store in the next few days and would like to know

1.) what I would need to keep it looking like new, as far as cases and protective gear is concerned. (Posting links to cases and maybe some pics would be nice. Or pics of your personal setup.) I had my eye on a $15 logitech one at circuit city.

2.) What type of memory stick I should be using to run my pirated PSP and PSX-PSP Eboots from. (Again links to products or pics of your personal hardware is greatly appreciated.)

3.) How do I put the files on my PSP memory stick? Would i just use a regular PRO DUO card reader slot on my computer?

4.) What is the latest custom firmware available for the PSP. B/c I do intend to run pirated PSP games on it and those PSX-PSP Custom Eboots of PSX games on it.

5.) I would also like to know if I would need a legit copy of GTA: Vice City Stories to downgrade then upgrade to a custom firware.

6.) A complete guide to switching to the latest custom firmware would be nice and greatly appreciated.

I just wanna know all this stuff before I shell out the $250+ bux for this setup.

Thanks

Here you go you lazy bum...

Quote Originally Posted by Ktiger41 View Post
    1.) what I would need to keep it looking like new, as far as cases and protective gear is concerned. (Posting links to cases and maybe some pics would be nice. Or pics of your personal setup.) I had my eye on a $15 logitech one at circuit city.
    I presume this is what you were looking at...

Logitech Playear Pocket

Its good but it will make your PSP a whole lot bulkier The simple slip on cover that you get with the value pack will suffice. But if you really like it, then go get it. Its totally your choice

Also, I would SO TOTALLY recommend you to get one of these...

Portable Liquid Crystal Filter Plus by Hori

There are various companies that make screen protectors like Capdase, etc, etc but Hori's one of the best Reason - PSP catches dust and fingerprints like magnet

2.) What type of memory stick I should be using to run my pirated PSP and PSX-PSP Eboots from. (Again links to products or pics of your personal hardware is greatly appreciated.)
    I would recommend...

Sandisk Memory Stick Pro Duo 4GB

OR

Sony Memory Stick Pro Duo 4GB

I would recommend you to get the SanDisk one coz their transfer rates are much higher/faster than the official Sony ones, believe it or not .

Also, beware of fake memory sticks. They are cheap and really tempting but aren't worth it coz they will die out on you anytime. On how to figure out fake MSPDs, read my post here....

3.) How do I put the files on my PSP memory stick? Would i just use a regular PRO DUO card reader slot on my computer?
    I would recommend you to get this...

Link Depot 6 ft. USB 2.0 TYPE A TO MINI B CABLE Model USB-6-AMB - OEM

It doesn't necessarily has to be of that company but just make sure its a 5-pin USB to Mini-USB cable, which supports USB v2.0

Also, copying PSP games from your PC to Mem card using a card reader will be a pain in the ass coz of uber slow transfer speeds.

4.) What is the latest custom firmware available for the PSP. B/c I do intend to run pirated PSP games on it and those PSX-PSP Custom Eboots of PSX games on it.
    The latest custom firmware available is v3.40 OE-A, which will run everything that you have mentioned

5.) I would also like to know if I would need a legit copy of GTA: Vice City Stories to downgrade then upgrade to a custom firware.
    You DON'T need a legit copy of UNPATCHED GTA: Liberty City Stories if your new PSP comes with firmware v2.80 OR LOWER. Anything above that, and you will need that game, which has become UBER RARE by now.

Also, from what I've read recently on various PSP websites, some hacking team called Noobz have found a vulnerability in the PSP game Lumines, just like they found it in GTA: LCS, and they have claimed that they will be releasing a downgrader to use with that game. So may be you can get your hands on a copy of Lumines Here's more info on that...

Noobz gives quick Illuminati exploit update, Lumines sales skyrocket to 14,000%

See if you can find a PSP with version v2.80 OR LOWER Otherwise, you don't have any other option but to get any one of those games and wait for a downgrader to be released for your PSP firmware

6.) A complete guide to switching to the latest custom firmware would be nice and greatly appreciated.
    Here you go...

The Ultimate Downgrader Guide

I would post my pics but I don't have a digicam
    Last edited by Kazekage Gaara; 1st-July-2007 at 15:19.

| LG OLED G1 65-Inch | Ryzen 5 5600x @ 4.75Ghz | ASUS ROG Strix B550-F Gaming | Zotac RTX 3080 Ti Amp Extreme Holo 12GB GDDR6X | WD Black SN850 1TB | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 16 GB DDR4 3600 MHz | Lian Li Galahad 240 AIO | ASUS ROG Strix 850W Gold | Xbox One Wireless Controller | Nintendo Switch (Atmosphere) |

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Kazekage Gaara View Post
    The simple slip on cover that you get with the value pack will suffice. But if you really like it, then go get it. Its totally your choice
    Do I have to play with the protective case on? b/c it looks like with a slip on cover I can't, but with that Logitech I can.

I would recommend you to get this...

Link Depot 6 ft. USB 2.0 TYPE A TO MINI B CABLE Model USB-6-AMB - OEM

Also, copying PSP games from your PC to Mem card using a card reader will be a pain in the ass coz of uber slow transfer speeds.
    But, this cable is not nessecary correct?

The latest custom firmware available is v3.40 OE-A, which will run everything that you have mentioned [
    Link please

You DON'T need a legit copy of UNPATCHED GTA: Liberty City Stories if your new PSP comes with firmware v2.80 OR LOWER. Anything above that, and you will need that game, which has become UBER RARE by now.
    Are the new PSP's they are selling in the stores right now v2.80 or less? (I plan on buying it new so I get a users manual and stuff.)

Another question, are the copies of GTA: LCS they are selling in the stores now patched? (I am assuming so)

Also, I saw in the guide Motherboard version numbers.. now I am intimidated and a bit frightened to attempt PSP modding.. Sprung please help me...
    Last edited by Ktiger41; 26th-June-2007 at 21:36.

Thanks

Do I have to play with the protective case on? b/c it looks like with a slip on cover I can't, but with that Logitech I can.
    You don't necessarily have to, and no...you can't play with the slip on cover on but you can listen to music if you want with the PSP inside the slip on cover with the earphones attached

But, this cable is not nessecary correct?
    No its not necessary but vital for transfering data to and fro from your PC to PSP. If you have a card reader and you think its fast enough, then go ahead with it first and if you think the transfer rates are too slow, then I would recommend you to get that cable. Usually, transfering a 1 gb file (PSP ISOs for example) shouldn't take more than 5 minutes. If its taking more than, say 15 or 20 minutes, then get the cable

Link please
    Its complicated. May I ask why do you need the link ? Nevertheless, here it is

http://www.psp-hacks.com/file/1132

The reason I ask is coz that is only needed if you are upgrading your PSP to it and those files are accompanied by the OFFICIAL SONY FIRMWARE EBOOT files that you need to successfully upgrade to that custom firmware.

As I said, its a little complicated. I would recommend you to get your PSP first, and we'll go through this later on

Are the new PSP's they are selling in the stores right now v2.80 or less? (I plan on buying it new so I get a users manual and stuff.)
    May I ask where do you live ?? Anyways, am afraid the ones in the stores are higher than v2.80 but if you can find a store which keeps old but new stuff or you think where people will never go to buy a PSP see if you can find an older firmware version PSP there....

You can determine a PSP's firmware by looking at its box. You can get more info here...

Determining PSP firmware using box codes

Another question, are the copies of GTA: LCS they are selling in the stores now patched? (I am assuming so)
    Am afraid they are all gone, the UNPATCHED ones that is. Sony realized their "mistake" and fixed it in no time and now even if you manage to get your hands on GTA LCS there is no way to tell whether you got the PATCHED VERSION or the UNPATCHED VERSION until and unless you put the actual UMD game into your PSP and check which "firmware update" it has. If it has firmware update v2.0 then its the unpatched one. If it has firmware update v2.60, then its the patched version.

Nevertheless, I shall recommend you to get your hands on a copy of Lumines, which the Noobz team have found a vulnerability in, which MIGHT help you downgrade your PSP if yours turns out to be higher than v2.80

Also, I saw in the guide Motherboard version numbers.. now I am intimidated and a bit frightened to attempt PSP modding.. Sprung please help me...
    Well, in that very guide, you can see a picture which shows you how to identify if your PSP is a TA-82 motherboard, which requires some special files to downgrade If you don't see the numbers "IC1003" on your PSP's mobo anywhere just as its shown in that pic, then yours IS NOT a TA-82 motherboard, just like mine
    Last edited by Kazekage Gaara; 26th-June-2007 at 21:55.

| LG OLED G1 65-Inch | Ryzen 5 5600x @ 4.75Ghz | ASUS ROG Strix B550-F Gaming | Zotac RTX 3080 Ti Amp Extreme Holo 12GB GDDR6X | WD Black SN850 1TB | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 16 GB DDR4 3600 MHz | Lian Li Galahad 240 AIO | ASUS ROG Strix 850W Gold | Xbox One Wireless Controller | Nintendo Switch (Atmosphere) |

Thanks
    EP Points

Oki now I should get a PSP that is v2.80 Firmware and below so I don't need any game to switch over to custom firmware correct?
    no letter = 1.0 (Japanese Release) 1.5 (North-American release) confirmed
    A = 1.5 confirmed
    B = 1.51 confirmed
    C = 1.52 confirmed
    D = 1.52 confirmed
    E = 1.52 confirmed
    F = 2.0 confirmed
    G = 2.01 confirmed
    H = 2.50 confirmed
    I = 2.60 confirmed
    J = 2.70 unconfirmed
    K = 2.71 confirmed
    Seems like I should get the PSP if its letter K and below.

Also, is it possible to switch to custom firmware on any motherboard by now?

(Sprung I am still awaiting your technical motherboard assistance)

Are TA-082 & TA-086 motherboards modable, meaning can convert it to custom firmwares.
    Last edited by Ktiger41; 26th-June-2007 at 22:24.

Thanks

Oki now I should get a PSP that is v2.80 Firmware and below so I don't need any game to switch over to custom firmware correct?

(Sprung I am still awaiting your technical motherboard assistance)

Are TA-082 & TA-086 motherboards modable, meaning can convert it to custom firmwares.
    You don't need to worry about all that stuff, there's been an exploit found in the Lumines game that lets you downgrade ALL firmware.So all you need is a psp and Lumines UMD.
    Some more info for you here:
    http://pspupdates.qj.net/Fanjita-s-s...g/49/aid/96078

Thanks

Yes I mean no you don't need any game to downgrade if your PSP is v2.80 OR LOWER.

Yup....if you can find one Best of luck to you

Refer "The Ultimate Downgrader Guide" link. Damn I just got a surprise. They have updated that guide to include the "How to downgrade using Lumines" Previously, we could only downgrade v3.10 using GTA LCS but now it seems we can even downgrade v3.50 PSPs

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by MuayThai65 View Post
    You don't need to worry about all that stuff, there's been an exploit found in the Lumines game that lets you downgrade ALL firmware.So all you need is a psp and Lumines UMD.
    Some more info for you here:
    http://pspupdates.qj.net/Fanjita-s-s...g/49/aid/96078
    what about the motherboard version issues?

Thanks

what about the motherboard version issues?
    I haven't heard of any issues, what are they?

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by MuayThai65 View Post
    I haven't heard of any issues, what are they?
    Quote Originally Posted by a site on the net
    To date there is no definite way to determine if a PSP has the dreaded newer motherboards: TA-082 & TA-086.
    [Update] As of Jan 3, 2007, PSPs w/ TA-082 which have firmware 2.80 or below can be downgraded; However, newer motherboards still present challenges which make it something to avoid if possible.
    [Update] As of Jan 30, 2007, PSPs w/ TA-082 which have firmware 2.80 (and 3.03 if you own an unpatched copy of GTA: LCS) can be downgraded without any known problems!!!
    Apparently there are some. but I personally dont know of any b/c I never cared about PSP till now

Also, so Lumines will be able to downgrade any Firmware and Motherboard version?

Thanks
    EP Points

The TA-XX motherboard issue isn't an issue anymore. If you use the DA downgraders, they have a TA motherboard routine that patches the "somethingsomething" on the motherboard, and you can then downgrade normally. (I have no idea what it patches...but it works)

I don't think the TA boards would be a problem with the Lumines hack.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Sprung View Post
    The TA-XX motherboard issue isn't an issue anymore. If you use the DA downgraders, they have a TA motherboard routine that patches the "somethingsomething" on the motherboard, and you can then downgrade normally. (I have no idea what it patches...but it works)

I don't think the TA boards would be a problem with the Lumines hack.
    Oh man how good it is too see ur post. I've been waiting. Oki so all I need to worry about now is the FW version when I get this baby tommorow then right sprung?

(I hope you can walk me through it tommorow or something)

Thanks
    EP Points

Oh man how good it is too see ur post. I've been waiting. Oki so all I need to worry about now is the FW version when I get this baby tommorow then right sprung?

(I hope you can walk me through it tommorow or something)
    I'd be happy to help, but you can't blame me if things go wrong

I downgraded a TA-XX with a 2.80 firmware without any problems at all. Then I went to 3.something...the last one before they went crazy with the PSX emulation. 3.1 maybe?

EDIT: 3.02 OE-A
    Last edited by Sprung; 26th-June-2007 at 23:08.

Thanks
    EP Points

I wanna upgrade to the latest Dark Alex FW is this possible... b/c ur last post didnt really make sense to me... I heard u helped Kazekage Gaara jsut fine so I should have no reason to blame you.

Thanks

I wanna upgrade to the latest Dark Alex FW is this possible... b/c ur last post didnt really make sense to me... I heard u helped Kazekage Gaara jsut fine so I should have no reason to blame you.
    He means he didn't feel it was necessary to upgrade to the latest custom firmware coz it only improves on PSX compatibility and that his current custom firmware would play PSP games just fine

Quote Originally Posted by Sprung View Post
    I'd be happy to help, but you can't blame me if things go wrong

I downgraded a TA-XX with a 2.80 firmware without any problems at all. Then I went to 3.something...the last one before they went crazy with the PSX emulation. 3.1 maybe?
    Yeah...I think the latest version of custom firmwares just improves on PSX compatibility

Tiger, as I said, it would be wise to hold on and wait for at least a week or two and read up on the success rate of people downgrading their PSPs using Lumines. Better to be safe than sorry

Also, I would like to add that you are gonna need more than 32 mb of mem card space to downgrade, and it won't be possible with the 32 mb MSPD that you get with the value pack (just in case if you're getting the value pack), so it would be better if you get a bigger mem card, and it would of course be wise to spend the money just once and get a 4 gb one, in the end helping you to put music, PSone games, various emulators, and homebrew as well as PSP games at one go
    Last edited by Kazekage Gaara; 26th-June-2007 at 23:17.