Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Busted X-Box DvD Drive

Thanks
    EP Points

The newer philips or the older Samsungs are the best out of the box. Ive never had any trouble with my Thompson drives, in fact, Ive had them last longer then my Samsung, even when its been tweaked to allow CD-rs to read. And no, they dont have problems with newer games, nor DVD-rs for that matter.

Thanks

I'm not to sure on that, i know for a fact that they could'nt play halo 2.
    http://www.epforums.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=43070&dateline=118185  0205

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Shiozaki View Post
    I'm not to sure on that, i know for a fact that they could'nt play halo 2.
    I've got Halo 2. And a 1.0 Xbox with a Thompson drive. No problems

Thanks
    EP Points

Well your facts are wrong. Every Thompson drive ive had has worked flawlessly. And thats including one inside my Prototype Xbox Development Kit.

Thanks

well lucky you, it's like the deal with the PS2 "dieing" it happened to some and not others, if you have a Thompson drive, kotor 2 may crash when doing the infinite hell spawn trick, others driver it wouldn't happen (unless you would spawn a crazy amount)

Could i like put in a huge HDD (200GB) and just put iso of my game on it, well i know it can be done, but how?
    http://www.epforums.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=43070&dateline=118185  0205

Thanks
    EP Points

200gb huge lol
    You can put anything you want in it aslong as it's IDE (P/ATA) and lockable.

You need Xbhdm, get from the usual places. It formats the drive into FAT-X, gives it the partitions and all that shit. Then you put it in teh box and lock it to the Xbox. And stuff.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Astaroth View Post
    200gb huge lol
    Right cause i have the money to go out and by a 1TB HDD...

You can put anything you want in it aslong as it's IDE (P/ATA) and lockable.

You need Xbhdm, get from the usual places. It formats the drive into FAT-X, gives it the partitions and all that shit. Then you put it in teh box and lock it to the Xbox. And stuff.
    I little more info is going to be needed besides the "usual places" I've been out of the loop for a while now and i never did much xbox stuff, cause mine worked and all.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Borman View Post
    It will read backups, but if hes just opening it now, I doubt its modded, and Im sure he has originals that need to be read, in addition to being able to close the case and have it look normal.

http://cgi.ebay.com/XBox-Thomson-Tho...QQcmdZViewItem

Cheap and easy, though CD-rs arent the best compatibility without a quick tweak, DVD-rs work fine.
    Are you crazy?

Recommending a Thompson drive for an Xbox nuts. Get a Samsung.

Thanks
    EP Points

No, it really isnt. The problem is overblown, and they hold up quite well for the price, especially if you are only using original media.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Shiozaki View Post
    Right cause i have the money to go out and by a 1TB HDD...

I little more info is going to be needed besides the "usual places" I've been out of the loop for a while now and i never did much xbox stuff, cause mine worked and all.
    Don't think there are 1TB HDDs on IDE.

Have you never heard of google before? All of this stuff comes up on google searches.

Softmod (Exploited)
    Hardmod (Chipped)

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Borman View Post
    No, it really isnt. The problem is overblown, and they hold up quite well for the price, especially if you are only using original media.
    I've had 3 Xboxes, 2 with Samsung, one with Thompson. I can tell you from my experience that searching for a Samsung is worth it. If you want to play burned games, that is. A friend of mine had a Samsung, but sent the Xbox in near the end of the extended warranty for some unrelated problem, and they pulled the Samsung and installed a Philips. Now he can only play CD burns

Thompson

Philips

Samsung

Thanks
    EP Points

Older phillips arent as good as the newer counterpart. My Samsung thats newer then my Thompson works worse then the thompson. The biggest difference comes in CD-r reading, but even then, CD-RWs worked fine, as did DVD-rs.

Thanks
    EP Points

I've personally owned
    2 Xboxes with Samsung drives
    1 Xbox with the Thomson
    2 Xboxes with the Philips

When the Xboxes were first out I got one second hand. It had the Philips, and it didn't read CDRs, it played all retail Xbox games fine. I didn't get into modding til around a year ago.
    Then I sold that and ended up with another one, with a Philips. Similarly it played all original Xbox games, but not CDRs.
    Then I came accross a Thomson, it read CDRs but was picky on which originals it was going to play. Some with a bit of damage didn't work.
    2 the Samsungs I've had I can safely say are the best drive to have. Sure the other drives work, but it's definitely the one to have. Most reliable although it doesn't read CDRs.

Thanks
    EP Points

Okay. I've got another Xbox, and using a PC IDE DVD-ROM drive in it is actually a miracle cure for a broken drive. Mine is a 1.1 and it barely reads any discs. Now with this PC Drive in it all I have to do is power it up, eject the PC drive, insert a game, close it. Restart the Xbox and it loads up. I don't see the need to buy a proper Xbox drive for it.

Thanks
    EP Points

Okay. I've got another Xbox, and using a PC IDE DVD-ROM drive in it is actually a miracle cure for a broken drive. Mine is a 1.1 and it barely reads any discs. Now with this PC Drive in it all I have to do is power it up, eject the PC drive, insert a game, close it. Restart the Xbox and it loads up. I don't see the need to buy a proper Xbox drive for it.
    You should post that in the Mod Squad thread, with pics