Thread: Chankast error, "IOControl" problem

Thanks
    EP Points

Default Chankast error, "IOControl" problem

I decided to try out Dreamcast emulation, downloaded Chankast, a Bios, and Resident Evil: Code Veronica from EP and set it all up. I loaded the first RE disc in Daemon Tools V4.08HE, started up the emulator, selected my plugins and controls (I moved the plugins to the only option but "xxxx" at first, cause I thought that meant blank), and started the game. It played the cool Sega logo thing, then a popup appears, entitled "IOControl", that simply says "Error". When I click ok or the X button, it simply reappears. The emulator's frozen, and all I can do is close it. I tried changing the plugins back to xxxx, but that didn't help. What's gone wrong with this? Plzhlpkthx.
    Tried it out with Disc 2 instead, and with no disc. Disc 2 gets the same error, without a disc gets a menu in which the sound effects are awful. I set the date and time, loaded disc 1 in daemon tools, hit "play", it played the sega logo, then iocontrol error again.
    Last edited by Jetsetlemming; 28th-May-2007 at 23:11.
    As I was walking down the stair,
    I met a man who wasn't there.
    He wasn't there again today.
    I wish, I wish he'd go away.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,180 Times in 550 Posts
    EP Points

Don't use that version of Daemon, use 3.29.

Thanks
    EP Points

Or you can use Alcohol 120%'s Virtual Drive. I've never had a problem with it and Chankast

Thanks
    EP Points

Does IOControl mean it's a problem with reading the disc? I'm downloading the trial of Alcohol now.
    Running the game using Alcohol to mount the disc still gets that error message.
    I just tried running it with Nero's imagedrive. Had to change the file type (by editting the name) to .iso to get Nero to mount it. Don't get the iocontrol error, but it reads the disc as if it was a music disc with one long 85 song on it.
    Running the renamed .iso version of the disc image in Daemon tools gets the same results as Nero. Same thing with Alcohol as well.
    Last edited by Jetsetlemming; 29th-May-2007 at 03:47.

Thanks

It could mean that there is something wrong with the image. I had that issue with a copy of Sonic Adventure I downloaded once. When I went to copy the files from the disc I started getting a bunch of read errors on several files.
    Haldrie's World
    (My official web site.)

My YouTube Channel

Thanks
    EP Points

I just got the game playing after trying two other emulators, Demul and nullDC.
    NullDC was the one that worked. Unfortunately, it won't let me change the control plugins besides these two "maple" plugins it comes with, and neither can recognize a USB controller. Also, the graphics for onscreen text in the menus and clues look like this:

Edit: http://forums.ngemu.com/nulldc-forum...ght=controller
    Looks like I gotta get a third party program for nullDC... Well, at leas that solves one problem.
    Btw, I'd really recommend you guys put nullDC up in the Dreamcast emulator section on EP. It's working, for one thing, and the latest update was from April 1st 2007, it's currently being developed.
    Last edited by Jetsetlemming; 29th-May-2007 at 04:57.

Thanks

Unfortunately there isn't much we can do about that until Dreamcast emulation is developed more. Your best option in this case is to try and run it on a real Dreamcast.
    Haldrie's World
    (My official web site.)

My YouTube Channel

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Haldrie View Post
    Unfortunately there isn't much we can do about that until Dreamcast emulation is developed more. Your best option in this case is to try and run it on a real Dreamcast.
    I'd buy one of Sprung's If I had the money in my paypal.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,180 Times in 550 Posts
    EP Points

This is taken from the Chankast FAQ:

"Q: Every time I try to run a .cdi CD image of a game I get an I/O control error. Why?
    A: This is caused by the software that was used to create these CD images and it's not a fault of the emulator. If you want to make these images work with Chankast do one of the following:
    1: Use Daemon Tools v3.29 to mount you CD images (other versions of Daemon tools will probably NOT work).
    2: Use a tool to convert the CD image to another format (this does not always work).
    3: Use Diskjuggler to burn the CD image to a CD-R(W) and create another CD image using another sofware (CloneCD, Nero, etc.). You may have to use an older version of Diskjuggler to burn the CD image or the game may not work."

Thanks
    EP Points

Btw, renaming .cdi to .iso will lose all the "selfboot" information. Therefore it'll need re-selfbooting (bin2boot, echelon guide, whatever)
    Or you can use the Utopia boot disc (mount on one virtual drive)
    Mount your game on another virtual drive
    Load up the boot disc from drive X
    Then switch drives in the options to drive X (Drive with the game on)
    Then it'll boot.

Thanks
    EP Points

I downloaded Crazy Taxi, and Ikagura. Chankast won't even admit CT's existence; It drops me to the main menu and asks me to insert a disc. Played it for 20 minutes or so in nullDC, it was kinda fun, but the vehicle physics are so insanely retarded. Every single car controls like it's back tires are covered in bacon grease.
    Ikagura was the first game I got working in Chankast. Finally, eh? It played ok, though it apparently is only controlled by the d-pad ( ). In the second level these weird circle things would shoot out beams connecting each other randomly and my ship would blow up, presumably from the beams, a full second before the beam would appear. I got game over, and stopped playing.
    Space Channel 5 just finished downloading. Let's see how this plays. :O
    It worked in both Chankast and nullDC, with a substantially less amount of graphical errors in nullDC.
    However, in both the game was unplayably retarded. The fucking aliens say up, I push up, and 10% of the time ulala goes "up!", the rest I get a boing failure sound. Probably desyncing sound and emulation, or a really shitty retarded worthless game. Either way: BALEETED.
    btw I fixed the text error in nullDC for RE by using the Chankast video plugin, but video playback is tinted purple and some special effect (probably a gassed room or something) when I tripped a trap 40 minutes into the game causes the screen to be covered in static, rending it unplayable. Gah, I just can't win.
    Last edited by Jetsetlemming; 31st-May-2007 at 07:14.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Jetsetlemming View Post
    I downloaded Crazy Taxi, and Ikagura. Chankast won't even admit CT's existence; It drops me to the main menu and asks me to insert a disc. Played it for 20 minutes or so in nullDC, it was kinda fun, but the vehicle physics are so insanely retarded. Every single car controls like it's back tires are covered in bacon grease.
    Ikagura was the first game I got working in Chankast. Finally, eh? It played ok, though it apparently is only controlled by the d-pad ( ). In the second level these weird circle things would shoot out beams connecting each other randomly and my ship would blow up, presumably from the beams, a full second before the beam would appear. I got game over, and stopped playing.
    Space Channel 5 just finished downloading. Let's see how this plays. :O
    It worked in both Chankast and nullDC, with a substantially less amount of graphical errors in nullDC.
    However, in both the game was unplayably retarded. The fucking aliens say up, I push up, and 10% of the time ulala goes "up!", the rest I get a boing failure sound. Probably desyncing sound and emulation, or a really shitty retarded worthless game. Either way: BALEETED.
    btw I fixed the text error in nullDC for RE by using the Chankast video plugin, but video playback is tinted purple and some special effect (probably a gassed room or something) when I tripped a trap 40 minutes into the game causes the screen to be covered in static, rending it unplayable. Gah, I just can't win.
    One cannot call Space Channel 5 a shitty retarded worthless game and still play a Dreamcast. Make your time.

Thanks
    EP Points

I did say either. :O
    Also, illbleed plays in both emulators. A bunch of random graphical problems in Chankast, but the control limitations of nullDC are a bother.
    Gah.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Jetsetlemming View Post
    I did say either. :O
    Also, illbleed plays in both emulators. A bunch of random graphical problems in Chankast, but the control limitations of nullDC are a bother.
    Gah.
    Yeah. Buy a Dreamcast from Sprung, or don't bother. nullDC isn't advanced enough yet to bother playing games on it.