Thread: Vagrant Story not burning correctly

Thanks

Default Vagrant Story not burning correctly

Ok, first off, i'm not in Windows, i'm using Ubuntu Linux (6.06) right now. Heres my problem: I managed to get a hold of Vagrant Story (the tracker was bt.emuparadise.org:8989, so I assumed it comes from here), and I fired it up in epsxe. It loaded fine (which is what i wanted to see), so I proceeded to K3b to burn the .cue file to a cd. I extracted a .cue, .img, .ccd, and .sub file from the 89 MB .rar I downloaded. After I burned it, I fired it up in my playstation, but the game didn't load , so I brought it back to my PC and got epsxe to run it off the CD. It didn't load and running it in a terminal gave me output like this:
    CD(0,5,128)ioctl read error
    CD(0,5,128)ioctl read error
    I assumed it was a bad burn and I tried two more times (converting the .ccd to .iso in the process) but with no luck. I was, however, able to burn Breath of Fire III (also from emuparadise with the same 4 file formats), and got it to run on my playstation2 just fine. When I checked the .cue file for Vagrant Story, I noticed that there was only one Track entry, like this:
    FILE "Vagrant Story.img" BINARY
    TRACK 1 MODE2/2352
    INDEX 1 00:00:00
    Whereas the Breath of Fire III one had an entry like this:
    FILE "Breath.Of.Fire.3.img" BINARY
    TRACK 1 MODE2/2352
    INDEX 1 00:00:00
    TRACK 2 AUDIO
    INDEX 0 41:50:32
    INDEX 1 41:52:31
    Am I correct in guessing that the reason I can't burn Vagrant Story is because its missing the track entries for the audio (and whatever else there is)? Is there any way to fix this? AFAIK Playstation CDs are multi-track, and unless K3b gets the entries for the other tracks in the .cue file, it won't burn the cd correctly. And on a side note, is the emuparadise IRC server down? I've been trying to connect but haven't been able to.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by cornjuliox View Post
    Ok, first off, i'm not in Windows, i'm using Ubuntu Linux (6.06) right now. Heres my problem: I managed to get a hold of Vagrant Story (the tracker was bt.emuparadise.org:8989, so I assumed it comes from here), and I fired it up in epsxe. It loaded fine (which is what i wanted to see), so I proceeded to K3b to burn the .cue file to a cd. I extracted a .cue, .img, .ccd, and .sub file from the 89 MB .rar I downloaded. After I burned it, I fired it up in my playstation, but the game didn't load , so I brought it back to my PC and got epsxe to run it off the CD. It didn't load and running it in a terminal gave me output like this:

I assumed it was a bad burn and I tried two more times (converting the .ccd to .iso in the process) but with no luck. I was, however, able to burn Breath of Fire III (also from emuparadise with the same 4 file formats), and got it to run on my playstation2 just fine. When I checked the .cue file for Vagrant Story, I noticed that there was only one Track entry, like this:

Whereas the Breath of Fire III one had an entry like this:

Am I correct in guessing that the reason I can't burn Vagrant Story is because its missing the track entries for the audio (and whatever else there is)? Is there any way to fix this? AFAIK Playstation CDs are multi-track, and unless K3b gets the entries for the other tracks in the .cue file, it won't burn the cd correctly. And on a side note, is the emuparadise IRC server down? I've been trying to connect but haven't been able to.
    No Vagrant Story is a single track game. BOFIII obviously contains one CDDA track.

Thanks
    EP Points

you can try to convert the image. Here is a good link with conversion tools for Linux: http://wiki.linuxquestions.org/wiki/CD_Image_Conversion

Thanks

So the image isn't at fault? What could be causing my bad burns? Copy protection issues?

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by cornjuliox View Post
    So the image isn't at fault? What could be causing my bad burns? Copy protection issues?
    I believe you're right. There is a patch [or 2] for it at: http://megagames.com/psx/psx_patches_v.shtml
    Not sure how you're gonna install it though. Being on Linux and such.

Inside of a Final Fantasy NES cartridge...
    Thanks
    EP Points

I don't know anything about Linux, but I do know for ePSXe you have to have a CD Rom plugin for ePSXe configured correctly, and the necessary drivers for your CD Rom drive installed on your comp.

Go here and try some of the CD plugins (except for CDR Mooby, which is for playing ISO's, not CD's)
    http://www.ngemu.com/plugins.php?cat...win32&type=cdr

And the IRC channel has been dead for months.

EDIT--
    The patch is only necessary for the PAL version, which has copy protection.
    The NTSC - US version doesn't need to be patched.

And the one on our tracker is NTSC-US
    Last edited by SegNin; 9th-May-2007 at 13:26.

Thanks

Is there any way to tell if its NTSC/PAL? I just saw something called img2iso i'm gonna try that and see if that works better than ccd2iso, and then the patch if that doesn't work out...hope it does.

Thanks
    EP Points

the irc server is down. i checked it yesterday too. btw How fast have you burned the game ?

Thanks
    EP Points

I can only really talk about windows here, I dunno anything about Linux. But if you mount the disc image on a virtual drive (?) (Daemon Tools, Windows). Inside the disc (if you browse the files) there'll be a one called "SCUS/SLES/SLUS/SCES-xxxxx" U/E in there means it's NTSC-U or PAL, U being NTSC-U, E being PAL.
    "SLPM/SLPS" Is NTSC-J.

Sorry I can't actually tell you waht to do for Linux though.

Thanks
    EP Points

Thanks

I can only really talk about windows here, I dunno anything about Linux. But if you mount the disc image on a virtual drive (?) (Daemon Tools, Windows). Inside the disc (if you browse the files) there'll be a one called "SCUS/SLES/SLUS/SCES-xxxxx" U/E in there means it's NTSC-U or PAL, U being NTSC-U, E being PAL.
    "SLPM/SLPS" Is NTSC-J.

Sorry I can't actually tell you waht to do for Linux though.
    hm...I used cdemu to mount the cue but when I took a look inside, all i have are a bunch of empty folders (battle, cg, menu, et al..). Nothing at all, even checked for hidden files. I'm gonna try to patch the game. Somehow I don't think converting the image will help me anymore.

EDIT: ok, i've managed to find a version of ApplyPPF for linux (its on Console Gaming World), and I managed to patch the .img file. Is that correct? I had to patch the .img file? Trying to patch the .cue gave me errors.

EDIT 2: ok, i've patched it and now it doesn't load in epsxe....normal or no? I get the screen that says the copy protection has been removed but past that it doesn't move..it just stops.
    Last edited by cornjuliox; 9th-May-2007 at 22:55.

Inside of a Final Fantasy NES cartridge...
    Thanks
    EP Points

Don't double post.
    Be patient and if someone here can help you they will.

Here's what I told you before, since I guess you missed it:

I don't know anything about Linux, but I do know for ePSXe you have to have a CD Rom plugin for ePSXe configured correctly, and the necessary drivers for your CD Rom drive installed on your comp.

Go here and try some of the CD plugins (except for CDR Mooby, which is for playing ISO's, not CD's)
    http://www.ngemu.com/plugins.php?cat...win32&type=cdr

And the IRC channel has been dead for months.

EDIT--
    The patch is only necessary for the PAL version, which has copy protection.
    The NTSC - US version doesn't need to be patched.

And the one on our tracker is NTSC-US