Thread: Playing import PS2 games on a UK PS2 - need help please

Thanks

Default Playing import PS2 games on a UK PS2 - need help please

I've been meaning to play import games on my UK PS2 for a long time now but have always been put off since it sounds so complicated. It didn't help that my TV which is quite old had difficulties with them too. But now the TV has broken down and my older brother is planning to get a new one very soon.

I have a few questions please:

1. I've read various FAQs about needing a PAL TV that is NTSC 3.58 compatible to play import games. I plan to play them using a Swap Magic 3.6 disc on my UK PS2.

My question is would I need any additional equipment to play the games in colour instead of Black and White or would the games be in colour as long as the TV is compatible with NTSC 3.58?

2. Does anyone use Swap Magic? I believe my console is a fairly recent one (one of the 70000+ models) so which version of Swap Magic do I need and is it easy to use?

3. Can anybody think of anything else I will need to play import games on my UK PS2 through a PAL TV? I do want to play them in colour and not black and white so is there anything else anyone can think of?

Any help would be greatly appreciated please.

Thanks
    EP Points

If you buy a TV these days, 99% likely, it supports NTSC. Even real cheap TVs do. Yeah, I live in Europe too, and I've bought a lot of TVs No additional equipment is needed. I use SwapMagic (on my non-chipped PS2). 3.6 and higher are the versions going around right now -- will work on any PS2. Remember that you need a SLIDE CARD or a new FLIPTOP for your PS2 in addition to the swapmagic discs. Many retailers sell bundles containing both Swapmagic and one of the Fliptop/slidecard.
    Last edited by kupo; 6th-May-2007 at 14:02.

Thanks
    EP Points

If your TV supports SCART theres a good chance it will work.

Thanks

Thanks for the replies.

I actually read this FAQ here:
    http://www.ntsc-uk.com/tech.php?tech=ImportHardwareFAQ

The bit I notice is that it says there are two versions of NTSC and the one that is required is 3.58 to run imported consoles but does this apply to my console since it's a UK one? Or is this not applicable in my case since I aim to use an actual UK console with Swap Magic?

Does it matter which NTSC version I have (ie: 3.58 or 4.43) since I aim to play my UK PS2 on a PAL TV that has either of those NTSC versions?
    Last edited by seryass; 30th-April-2007 at 21:04.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by seryass View Post
    Thanks for the replies.

I actually read this FAQ here:
    http://www.ntsc-uk.com/tech.php?tech=ImportHardwareFAQ

The bit I notice is that it says there are two versions of NTSC and the one that is required is 3.58 to run imported consoles but does this apply to my console since it's a UK one? Or is this not applicable in my case since I aim to use an actual UK console with Swap Magic?

Does it matter which NTSC version I have (ie: 3.58 or 4.43) since I aim to play my UK PS2 on a PAL TV that has either of those NTSC versions?

You should be cool man.

I lived in the UK for years and played nothing but NTCS/J games with no problems.

Older tv's might have issues,
    but as long as you have scart you should be cool/

And If you have the 21 pin scart lead set the PS2 to the RGB setting.

EDIT: PAL 60 >*
    Last edited by Dinosaurman; 30th-April-2007 at 21:18.

Thanks

If you have a chubby PS2 (not the slim one), id get a Network adapter, a hard drive and HDLoader. Easiest way to play imports imo