Thread: Is downgrading PSP firmware dangerous?

Thanks

Default Is downgrading PSP firmware dangerous?

First Question
    Is their any instance that a PSP firmware downgrading process fails, besides manually turning the system off? If yes, does it completely breaks any aspect of the PSP's hardware, software, etc? If yes from the second sentence, is their a way to recover it?

Second Question
    Does all PSP handheld models (including the PSP models that had a price drop of $169.99USD) are able to downgrade to firmware 1.5 without any problems? If not, what specific models that I need in able to do the above operation?

Last Question
    Could you recommend me of any websites that has EASY tutorials on downgrading, playing isos, etc. that does not require free membership.

Note: I do not have a PSP (I will get later this summer) and I am not knowledgae about PSP emulation.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by EZ2007 View Post
    First Question
    Is their any instance that a PSP firmware downgrading process fails, besides manually turning the system off? If yes, does it completely breaks any aspect of the PSP's hardware, software, etc? If yes from the second sentence, is their a way to recover it?
    Yes, you might "brick" your PSP, which actually means something went wrong when you were flashing your firmware or you didn't choose the proper firmware downgrader files, turning your PSP into a $250 paperweight . Also, there is no way to recover your "bricked" PSP other than installing a PSP modchip, which might turn out to be a costly affair.

Nevertheless, if you follow the readme files WORD TO WORD there shouldn't be any problem Check out this GREAT GUIDE, which will help you downgrade your firmware without any problems....

Ultimate Downgrader Guide

I would also like to say once you succeed in downgrading your PSP to v1.5, it would be better if you then upgrade it to the latest CUSTOM Firmware (for example Dark Alex), which will enable you to "restore" your PSP IF something goes wrong with your FUTURE firmware upgrades. Upgrading to the latest custom firmware will also enable you to do near-perfect PSX/PSone emulation and the same goes for SNES and loads of other homebrew stuff

Second Question
    Does all PSP handheld models (including the PSP models that had a price drop of $169.99USD) are able to downgrade to firmware 1.5 without any problems? If not, what specific models that I need in able to do the above operation?
    As of now, you can downgrade PSP Firmware v2.80 AND BELOW. Anything above that, and you'll need the ORIGINAL GTA Liberty City UMD Unpatched Version to downgrade.

Last Question
    Could you recommend me of any websites that has EASY tutorials on downgrading, playing isos, etc. that does not require free membership.
    Check the above link Also, I would recommend you to make a search of "PSP" here at EP, and read up on what other people have to say

Note: I do not have a PSP (I will get later this summer) and I am not knowledgae about PSP emulation.
    Its okay. As I said, if you follow the instructions properly, you'll do just fine
    Last edited by Kazekage Gaara; 20th-April-2007 at 22:20.

| LG OLED G1 65-Inch | Ryzen 5 5600x @ 4.75Ghz | ASUS ROG Strix B550-F Gaming | Zotac RTX 3080 Ti Amp Extreme Holo 12GB GDDR6X | WD Black SN850 1TB | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 16 GB DDR4 3600 MHz | Lian Li Galahad 240 AIO | ASUS ROG Strix 850W Gold | Xbox One Wireless Controller | Nintendo Switch (Atmosphere) |

Thanks

actually anything between and including 2.81 and 3.03 can be downgraded with GTA:LCS.
    If ur firmware is above 3.03 then u can NEVER downgrade ur PSP
    sry

Thanks
    EP Points

I wouldn't say never. It'll be possible eventually, just not at the moment.

Thanks

Kagekaze Gaara, is GTA Liberty City UMD Unpatched Version a retail game (UMD game sold in stores) or UMD image?

Thanks

Kagekaze Gaara, is GTA Liberty City UMD Unpatched Version a retail game (UMD game sold in stores) or UMD image?
    A retail game. UMD image will not work. But do beware coz almost all of them are sold out. The unpatched version of GTA Liberty City has firmware v2.0 in it and it will enable you to downgrade PSP firmware v2.81 and ABOVE. As soon as they (the publishers/sony/etc) came to know about this, they patched up the "security holes" and again released GTA Liberty City this time having firmware upgrade v2.6, which looks exactly like the unpatched version from the packaging, UMD stickers, etc, so you won't really know whether its the patched or the unpatched version until and unless you put the UMD in the PSP and check it out manually.

See if you have any stores that rent out PSP games and ask for a GTA Liberty City and hope that its the unpatched version

Facts:

1. Unpatched Version - Has firmware upgrade v2.0 in it.
    2. Patched Version - Has firmware upgrade v2.6 in it.

| LG OLED G1 65-Inch | Ryzen 5 5600x @ 4.75Ghz | ASUS ROG Strix B550-F Gaming | Zotac RTX 3080 Ti Amp Extreme Holo 12GB GDDR6X | WD Black SN850 1TB | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 16 GB DDR4 3600 MHz | Lian Li Galahad 240 AIO | ASUS ROG Strix 850W Gold | Xbox One Wireless Controller | Nintendo Switch (Atmosphere) |

Thanks
    EP Points

most PSP's come with a 2.00 or a bit higher, since I got my PSP a few weeks ago and it had that firmware it was easy for me to down/upgrade.

If you can I got a manual on here aswell, forgot where it was again, but I bet gaara knows where it is.

Edit: here ya go http://www.epforums.org/psp-upgrader....html?p=895264

Just found it with luck
    I am so ninja, I fart in your cereal while you are still eating it.

Hax'd:
    PS3 Slim OFW
    PS4 OFW
    Nintendo Wii U 32GB Black Premium

Thanks

Actually most psps come with 3.0+, Rage you got lucky to find one thats 2.0 firmware, their pretty hard to come by now.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by MuayThai65 View Post
    Actually most psps come with 3.0+, Rage you got lucky to find one thats 2.0 firmware, their pretty hard to come by now.
    That wasnt luck they hate me and wanted to give me an outdated PSP, but they didnt knew I wanted to CF it.

EDIT: One strong advice when at 3.10 or higher Custom Firmware, do NOT use topmenu_plugin.rco to change the icons this causes your PSP to freeze up, not bricking but freezing.
    Last edited by Rage; 22nd-April-2007 at 10:27.
    I am so ninja, I fart in your cereal while you are still eating it.

Hax'd:
    PS3 Slim OFW
    PS4 OFW
    Nintendo Wii U 32GB Black Premium

Thanks
    EP Points

There are topmenu's for 3.30 and 3.40 now..
    It would be a good idea to first test the topmenu_plugin.rco's on Devhook first.

Thanks

www.psphacking101.com the site has videos. the risk of muking up your psp is i think is 98% so its good to do