Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SEGA SATURN Vs. Emuparadise ISO's

Thanks

Default SEGA SATURN Vs. Emuparadise ISO's

Anyone know if you use a modded Saturn or the Region Fix cartridges (GameShark, Pro Action Replay, ect) if you'd be able to play burned SS games (hoping for the cartriges)? Considering PC emulation for Saturn is not worth it, I may as well just get a saturn (though I was hoping I could play my old saturn games on my laptop like my PSX.) but I'd like to see if I can save myself the trouble (and money) of buying all the games I had (especially the rares like Nights for freakin $79!!). Quote when I say had. I had a Sega saturn at one point and..well...lets just say since then and my stolen genesis, that I dont lend out systems anymore, nore do I trade them lol.

Inside of a Final Fantasy NES cartridge...
    Thanks
    EP Points

Actually, unless your computer is incompatible/too slow with SSF, you can emulate most Saturn games perfectly now:
    http://www.ngemu.com/saturn

Compatibility list for all Saturn emulators:
    http://www.emu-compatibility.com/index.php?lang=uk

Thanks
    EP Points

The only way to play backups on a saturn is the swap trick or a modchip.

A region mod or action replay cart just allows the playing of imports.

Plus you can buy Nights for under a tenner nowadays.

Thanks

I've tried all non discontinued emulators including SSF and really I dont see the reason why I must have such a high end system like a Dual Core to play a Saturn Game anyway!!?? Sure I've built more powerful systems that can take on the requirements of that sofware, but those requirements are ridiculous! Not to mention I can play all my PSX games under less requirements with ePSXe. Seriously, I'm playing freekin FF7 on a 5 year old laptop! That's why I'm looking for an answer to the above question.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by XTREEMMAK View Post
    I've tried all non discontinued emulators including SSF and really I dont see the reason why I must have such a high end system like a Dual Core to play a Saturn Game anyway!!?? Sure I've built more powerful systems that can take on the requirements of that sofware, but those requirements are ridiculous! Not to mention I can play all my PSX games under less requirements with ePSXe. Seriously, I'm playing freekin FF7 on a 5 year old laptop! That's why I'm looking for an answer to the above question.
    The question I just answered?

Thanks
    Thanked 13,309 Times in 1,165 Posts
    EP Points

He likely didn't see your post before replying.

Xtreemmak, try and find yourself a premodded Saturn somewhere. You have to open a Saturn up to tweak it to swap, and swapping is a pain so modding is the way to go. But finding a Saturn modder nowadays is a pain (as is finding chips), but finding a used modded Saturn shouldn't be impossible.
    *PSA* Wii Redump collector's can now unscrub ISO files. So scrubbed games can now be verified. You can find the program to do this here

Thanks
    EP Points

If you get a model 1 saturn I recommend using the swap. Requires physical modification, but it's easy. Just a bit of tape. Then you swap discs. Almost dummy proof. It requires 1 original game. Play burned CDs for the rest of it's life.
    (Model 1 Saturn has oval buttons)
    If you get a model 2 Saturn the swap is a bitch and doesn't boot all games. That's why M2's should be modded and not swapped on.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by XTREEMMAK View Post

Sega Saturn had multiple processors. It was way ahead of its time in that aspect...and that is why dual-core precessors are pretty much necessary.

Ps1 didn't have multiple processors.

Thanks

shouldnt be to tough to emulate

* Two Hitachi SuperH-2 7604 32-Bit RISC processors at 28.63 MHz (50-MIPS) - each has 4 KiB on-chip cache, of which 2 KiB can alternatively be used as directly addressable RAM
    * SH-1 32-bit RISC processor (controlling the CD-ROM)
    * Custom VDP 1 32-bit video display processor (running at 7.1590 MHz on NTSC Systems, 6.7116 MHz for PAL Systems)
    * Custom VDP 2 32-bit video display processor (running at 7.1590 MHz on NTSC Systems, 6.7116 MHz for PAL Systems)
    * Custom Saturn Control Unit (SCU) with DSP for geometry processing and DMA controller (running at 14.3 MHz)
    * Motorola 68EC000 sound controller (running at 11.3 MHz / 1,5 MIPS)
    * Yamaha FH1 DSP sound processor, "Sega Custom Sound Processor" (SCSP), running at 22.6 MHz
    * Hitachi 4-bit MCU, "System Manager & Peripheral Control" (SMPC)

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by pirates dc View Post
    shouldnt be to tough to emulate

* Two Hitachi SuperH-2 7604 32-Bit RISC processors at 28.63 MHz (50-MIPS) - each has 4 KiB on-chip cache, of which 2 KiB can alternatively be used as directly addressable RAM
    * SH-1 32-bit RISC processor (controlling the CD-ROM)
    * Custom VDP 1 32-bit video display processor (running at 7.1590 MHz on NTSC Systems, 6.7116 MHz for PAL Systems)
    * Custom VDP 2 32-bit video display processor (running at 7.1590 MHz on NTSC Systems, 6.7116 MHz for PAL Systems)
    * Custom Saturn Control Unit (SCU) with DSP for geometry processing and DMA controller (running at 14.3 MHz)
    * Motorola 68EC000 sound controller (running at 11.3 MHz / 1,5 MIPS)
    * Yamaha FH1 DSP sound processor, "Sega Custom Sound Processor" (SCSP), running at 22.6 MHz
    * Hitachi 4-bit MCU, "System Manager & Peripheral Control" (SMPC)
    Yeah but trying to emulate them all at the same time?

Priceless.

Thanks

Default Update

<- WTF?!?
    Anyway, I managed to win me a Saturn off E-bay. A bit pricey (77.00 with shipping, BUT along with the Model 1 saturn, I get 9 games ) So it's a reasonable price. Now I'm only searching for the Mod Chip which is a bitch to find. If anyone knows of any locations that have them then please send. So far I've found two places that sell them both of them out of state and one a bit pricey. If you can send as soon as possible cause I just sent a buy request to someone who has it:
    http://www.robwebb.clara.co.uk/shop/saturn/saturn.htm
    basically it's 11.90ero which is $16.15USD which isn't bad. If someone has someone else though that will be faster than this guy than let me know.
    Last edited by XTREEMMAK; 18th-April-2007 at 16:35.

Thanks
    EP Points

You can't mod a model 1 Saturn. Just use the discswap, it's near fool proof and easy, on a model 1.

Thanks

Why cant you mod a model 1? Just to make sure we're talking about the same saturn, it's the MK-8000 i'm getting.

Thanks
    EP Points

That's model 1, best for disc swapping

that's model 2, best for modchippin'

Thanks

That's the one I'm getting along with the games. As far as I can see, I really dont see why Model 2 is better for mod chipping than model 1 and why mod chipping Model 1 is impossible. Is there a hardware advantage like the chip placement is different or something? I don't think it has anything to do with the button style and placement on the top but yeah please I'd like to know so I can probably cancel this order.