Thread: Is R4 for the NDS good ???

Thanks

Default Is R4 for the NDS good ???

Hey guys,

I just could'nt believe my eyes when I saw an R4 available at one of the shops over here in the Gray Market area. I read on the package and it said it was the perfect option for DS Homebrew. We don't get flash carts THAT EASY over here BELIEVE IT. Now I googled for it and on the official site I read it does NDS roms.

Anyone over here has R4 ??? Is it good ??? Coz am thinking of geting an NDS too AS WELL AS the R4. If its good, then I need to secure the deal AS SOON AS possible coz once its gone, I don't think I can get another one over here...

So is it good ??? The guy told me he will give me the R4 with a Kingston 1 Gb card for around Rs. 2000 (which comes down to around $45 US).

If its good and is one of THE BEST NDS rom options then I wouldn't wanna miss out on this and will get it EVEN BEFORE I GET MYSELF A DS LITE believe it or not coz once its gone, its gone forever and the price is just too good to pass this

Thanx in advance for the advice Desperately waiting for a reply

Edit: Oh and by the way, the package looks exactly like the one shown on the official website Oh and I would also like to know whether there are any cheap fakes of R4 available ?? coz that place reeks with fake stuff of things that can be faked, like fake MSPDs, etc, etc If chinese people knew how to make fakes of PSPs and NDSes, they would seriously do it and it would get flooded over here in the indian gray markets Thanx again for ALL THE HELP
    Last edited by Kazekage Gaara; 11th-April-2007 at 16:19.

| LG OLED G1 65-Inch | Ryzen 5 5600x @ 4.75Ghz | ASUS ROG Strix B550-F Gaming | Zotac RTX 3080 Ti Amp Extreme Holo 12GB GDDR6X | WD Black SN850 1TB | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 16 GB DDR4 3600 MHz | Lian Li Galahad 240 AIO | ASUS ROG Strix 850W Gold | Xbox One Wireless Controller | Nintendo Switch (Atmosphere) |

Thanks
    EP Points

I have an R4. It's one of the best flashcards when it comes to DS game compatibility. It plays about every game released for the DS perfectly. There is a fake R4 going around, though. More details here: http://www.maxconsole.net/?mode=news&newsid=15176

If it is the real thing however, it is along with the M3 simply one of the best SLOT1 flashcards on the DS.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by snkupo View Post
    I have an R4. It's one of the best flashcards when it comes to DS game compatibility. It plays about every game released for the DS perfectly. There is a fake R4 going around, though. More details here: http://www.maxconsole.net/?mode=news&newsid=15176

If it is the real thing however, it is along with the M3 simply one of the best SLOT1 flashcards on the DS.
    Oh yes I googled about it and came to that exact page. I remember it used a Kingston 1 gb SD Micro and didn't have that stupid inbuilt memory So for now at least it confirms it that its the original one.

You know guys, I might have to postpone getting a PSP to next month and get the DS lite and the R4 coz once those chinese people manage to make a fake one that looks EXACTLY like the original, like they do with MSPDs, it would be a MAJOR pain in the ass for me to find an original one coz the markets will get FLOODED WITH FAKES

Thanx for the info kupo. Really appreciate it. Rep for you

Edit: I hope makers of R4 are here to stay and are gonna release regular upgrades to their hardware increasing the overall compatibility of the thing, which makes it more useful all the same

Edit II: Is there a kinda like a version of R4 that is better or somethin that I need to look at a serial number on the box/hardware or somethin ?? Kinda like First Version, Second Version, Third version, etc etc ???

Also, I read somewhere somethin about Chinese Kernels NOT going in English Kernels or somethin, maybe it relates to firmware or somethin, etc, etc. Do I need to make sure of something before I jump and grab that thing ??? aka English or Chinese or soemthin. I just wanna be on the safer side and wanna make sure everything is in order before I go ahead with the deal. Am so nervous
    Last edited by Kazekage Gaara; 11th-April-2007 at 16:56.

| LG OLED G1 65-Inch | Ryzen 5 5600x @ 4.75Ghz | ASUS ROG Strix B550-F Gaming | Zotac RTX 3080 Ti Amp Extreme Holo 12GB GDDR6X | WD Black SN850 1TB | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 16 GB DDR4 3600 MHz | Lian Li Galahad 240 AIO | ASUS ROG Strix 850W Gold | Xbox One Wireless Controller | Nintendo Switch (Atmosphere) |

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Kazekage Gaara View Post
    Oh yes I googled about it and came to that exact page. I remember it used a Kingston 1 gb SD Micro and didn't have that stupid inbuilt memory So for now at least it confirms it that its the original one.

You know guys, I might have to postpone getting a PSP to next month and get the DS lite and the R4 coz once those chinese people manage to make a fake one that looks EXACTLY like the original, like they do with MSPDs, it would be a MAJOR pain in the ass for me to find an original one coz the markets will get FLOODED WITH FAKES

Thanx for the info kupo. Really appreciate it. Rep for you

Edit: I hope makers of R4 are here to stay and are gonna release regular upgrades to their hardware increasing the overall compatibility of the thing, which makes it more useful all the same

Edit II: Is there a kinda like a version of R4 that is better or somethin that I need to look at a serial number on the box/hardware or somethin ?? Kinda like First Version, Second Version, Third version, etc etc ???

Also, I read somewhere somethin about Chinese Kernels NOT going in English Kernels or somethin, maybe it relates to firmware or somethin, etc, etc. Do I need to make sure of something before I jump and grab that thing ??? aka English or Chinese or soemthin. I just wanna be on the safer side and wanna make sure everything is in order before I go ahead with the deal. Am so nervous
    - The team behind the R4 are good with updates, just like there are updates for the M3 flashcarts, so you're safe there, I'd say

- There's no second version or third version that is better. All updates are compatible with all "revisions", so no worries there either.

- The Chinese R4 requires the Chinese kernel, English version requires English kernel. The official website has them both. Chinese Kernel here, English kernel here. The package will say if your R4 (if you buy it) is English or Chinese

Thanks

The package will say if your R4 (if you buy it) is English or Chinese
    Where in the package will be able to "see" whether its Chinese or English ?? Also, after reading all about this Chinese and the English ones, I came to conclusion that the Chinese one will have chinese icons and language written all over it if I pop it in my DS right ??? and vice versa ???

Although I think I should be able to navigate thru even if its in Chinese language ?

Edit: Also, do I need to be careful about something while doing something with R4, like upgrading the firmware or booting/loading roms, etc, etc ?? Kinda like you need to be UBER CAREFUL while downgrading your PSP like reading exactly what the readme of the downgrader has to say and also make sure the power doesn't go off while downgrading, etc, etc
    Last edited by Kazekage Gaara; 11th-April-2007 at 17:20.

Thanks
    EP Points

Edit: Also, do I need to be careful about something while doing something with R4, like upgrading the firmware or booting/loading roms, etc, etc ?? Kinda like you need to be UBER CAREFUL while downgrading your PSP like reading exactly what the readme of the downgrader has to say and also make sure the power doesn't go off while downgrading, etc, etc
    The thing about dowgrading/upgrading PSPs isn't really as bad as people say it is. I mean, even a kid can do it. Chinese R4s have chinese text on the box while english ones have english text on the box, its that simple.

When it comes to the menus in the user interface, there are HUGE icons that make it pretty ovious what each icon means. I have the English version myself, and its the same way with the chinese. I believe that in the chinese version there are chinese letters under these HUGE icons.

Because of the icons, navigating is simple no matter which version you have. In addition, there are so few menu choices that getting lost is impossible. And stuff to be careful about? When upgrading, if you choose to do so, read the readmes..They tell you where to place the update files, and thats all you need to do . further than that, there is no big thing you need to be careful about.
    Last edited by kupo; 11th-April-2007 at 17:35.

I'm in ur head, raping ur cerebral cortex
    Thanks

Yes, the R4 is made by the M3 team, it's a good card, but slot-1 devices don't allow the running of GBA/GB/GBC roms. Only thing you have to worry about when sticking the roms onto your card is using the software provided, and making sure your firmware is up to date (use the correct firmware for your card (i.e. use the english firmware for an english card, the chinese firmware for a chinese card, etc.).

Thanks

Great. Thanx for the info. Now I don't care if I get the Chinese version or the English version Thanx Kupo.

Am gonna get the R4 AND the DS Lite (getting one here for Rs. 7000 - $150 US). Am gonna check out which colors he has Am searching sites like Newegg & Amazon for must-have accessories for the DS, kinda like there is a thin film that comes for PSPs that protects it from scratches, etc, etc.

Know some must have accessories for the DS ??? Just want optimum protection for my DS

I'm in ur head, raping ur cerebral cortex
    Thanks

If you're worried about dropping your DS, there is a thing called DS armor, I think you can order it from play-asia. You may also want screen protectors, the ones made by Hori are supposed to be the best.

Thanks
    EP Points

Great. Thanx for the info. Now I don't care if I get the Chinese version or the English version Thanx Kupo.

Am gonna get the R4 AND the DS Lite (getting one here for Rs. 7000 - $150 US). Am gonna check out which colors he has Am searching sites like Newegg & Amazon for must-have accessories for the DS, kinda like there is a thin film that comes for PSPs that protects it from scratches, etc, etc.

Know some must have accessories for the DS ??? Just want optimum protection for my DS
    I have no special accessories for my DS (or for my PSP), and neither has the rest of the dudes at work . I guess a screen protector would be suited for you if you're paranoid (sorry, I can't find a better word, but I'm not dissing you ) but in reality, the touch screen is much more solid than many people seem to think. My original DS was received some days before the European release, and has not scratches in it (never used screen protectors or anything). The same goes for the DS Lite. But as banned says, Hori are supposed to make good ones.

Then there's cases. Some people like to have cases, you know, if you carry the DS together with other stuff in your bag etc. I don't have anything special to recommend though.

Thanks

I guess a screen protector would be suited for you if you're paranoid (sorry, I can't find a better word, but I'm not dissing you)
    I am paranoid NO SERIOUSLY I AM when it comes to gaming, I want the BEST Best accessories, best flash carts , best protection, etc, etc.

but in reality, the touch screen is much more solid than many people seem to think. My original DS was received some days before the European release, and has not scratches in it (never used screen protectors or anything). The same goes for the DS Lite. But as banned says, Hori are supposed to make good ones.
    Okay, I'll take your word for that Nevertheless, I'll read up more on this and will buy the screen protectors sometime later if need be

About the Hori thing. I've never shopped online coz I can get most of the things over here in the Gray Market area for much less coz even the shipping costs to India are EXORBITANT and even the customs over here are too much, which makes the overall thing to be TOO PRICEY

Thank you so much guys. Really appreciate all the info Rep for all of you And now to make another thread for the NDS must-have games just like I did for the PSP

Edit: I was wondering which color NDS Lite to get. Any help with that Hehe....
    Last edited by Kazekage Gaara; 11th-April-2007 at 18:39.

Thanks

YOU'RE TALKING TO A PROUD OWNER OF A DS LITE AND AN R4

Sorry for the double post. Just couldn't help myself

Thanks
    EP Points

Congratulations with the DS and R4, Gaara . Got any roms up and playing yet?

Thanks

Congratulations with the DS and R4, Gaara . Got any roms up and playing yet?
    I GOT IT WORKING Am using the latest version v1.08 of R4. It says Beta. Is it okay to use that version or should I revert back to v1.07 ???

Am currently playing New Super Mario Bros and Mario Kart DS Will also be downloading many other games as mentioned in the " Absolute must haves for the NDS ???" thread
    Last edited by Kazekage Gaara; 12th-April-2007 at 17:40.

Thanks

^^; I would upgrade to R4 if i had the spare cash. still using passcard3 w/ slot-2 supercard.