Thread: Burning PS2 games on DVD-R

Thanks

Default Burning PS2 games on DVD-R

I've been burning games using DVD Decrypter and DVD+RW for awhile now, and they've worked fine. But when I try to burn a game to a DVD-R, it says it is an incompatible format. And apparantly, the Swap Magic I got can't play DVD+RW games (I used my friend's modded PS2 before).

Is the problem the disc I'm using or the way I'm doing it?

Thanks

The PS2 hates DVD-Rs. The only reason that DVD+RWs have been working for you is because your drive has been book typing them to DVD-ROMs. Only +R/+RWs can be book typed and most newer drive will automatically book type them to DVD-ROM when you burn them.

[EDIT]
    Oops I missed the part about your fiends modded PS2. Modded systems can be made to read any disc. You will have to use +R or +RWs and book type them to DVD-ROM. An easy way to find out if your drive will book type automatically is to burn one in Nero and you will see a message saying "Booktype automaticall set to DVD-ROM".
    Last edited by Haldrie; 1st-April-2007 at 14:40.
    Haldrie's World
    (My official web site.)

My YouTube Channel

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Haldrie View Post
    The PS2 hates DVD-Rs.
    Exactly what are you talking about? Most modded PlayStation 2s read DVD-R perfectly.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,180 Times in 550 Posts
    EP Points

Ps2 will read DVD-R and +R, but no rewritable media.
    What game are you trying to burn?

Thanks

I'm trying to burn Tales of Destiny 2. So, if I book it, it should work with Swap Magic? Or something like that...

Thanks
    EP Points

So if you get a DVD+R and burn it with alcohol 120% on the playstation 2 setting it will be ok?

Thanks
    EP Points

yes i use dvds+r on my playstation 2 V6 model, works better than the -r (always verbatim discs), so try to burn your games in + r to see if works better in your console

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Ktiger41 View Post
    So if you get a DVD+R and burn it with alcohol 120% on the playstation 2 setting it will be ok?
    Likely, yes. It varies a little between versions of the console, but in general, you can use both.

Thanks

I'll try that. Thanks for the help.

Thanks

I only said to booktype the disc to DVD-ROM because it is the only guarenteed way to get the disc to work (unless you're just trying to play the disc directly on an unmodded console without using some kind of swap trick). Without booktyping you will get better results using DVD+Rs. DVD+RWs won't work at all since the PS2 is not made to read RWs unless it's modded so not even Swap Magic will work in that case. -R and -RW discs will usually only work on a modded console and in very rare cases on an unmodded one (only with -Rs).

I have managed to get DVD-VIDEO discs that I burned on a DVD-R to load on my unmodded PS2 but it skipped a lot. DVD+R discs ususally don't skip but any disc that I booktype to DVD-ROM usually plays perfectly on anything especially my grandparents' old DVD player that refuses to play burned discs.
    Haldrie's World
    (My official web site.)

My YouTube Channel

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Haldrie View Post
    I only said to booktype the disc to DVD-ROM because it is the only guarenteed way to get the disc to work (unless you're just trying to play the disc directly on an unmodded console without using some kind of swap trick). Without booktyping you will get better results using DVD+Rs. DVD+RWs won't work at all since the PS2 is not made to read RWs unless it's modded so not even Swap Magic will work in that case. -R and -RW discs will usually only work on a modded console and in very rare cases on an unmodded one (only with -Rs).

I have managed to get DVD-VIDEO discs that I burned on a DVD-R to load on my unmodded PS2 but it skipped a lot. DVD+R discs ususally don't skip but any disc that I booktype to DVD-ROM usually plays perfectly on anything especially my grandparents' old DVD player that refuses to play burned discs.
    Sounds like I should make a few test coasters to see the real deal on this, b/c it's complicated depending on what ya got.