Thread: Custom sound track?

Mikey_ Guest

Default Custom sound track?

Is there any way (easy, hopefully) of changing in game music for say, SNES roms or PSX games?

Thanks

A handful of early PSX games used cd audio for their music. I'm not an expert on messing with PSX ISOs but it should be possible to replace the audio tracks and then remake the ISO if you're careful about filesizes. As for snes and non-cda psx games, I have no idea. But I doubt it'd be easy to do.

Personally, I just kill the music volume and crank up something fitting out of my playlist.
    Last edited by Dr Mario; 17th-March-2007 at 02:27.

Thanks
    EP Points

Most CDDA games you can just switch the game with a music CD during play, and it will play.

With ISOBuster you can extract TRACK 01.BIN, make a cue of the disc using ISOBuster, then rename the music you want in the game to "TRACK 02.MP3", etc. Then you should have custom music in your game, btw this is for CDDA based games...
    No idea for non CDDA games
    Btw, isn't this an emulation question?! shouldn't it be under \Sony\ ? You're a crap mod! (Just kidding..)
    Last edited by Inferno.; 19th-March-2007 at 16:06.

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Some none cdda PSX games use xa/xam/str for sound ( str files are normally movie files but sometimes all they contain is sound ) no xa is not easy to replace you can't just use cdmage or something to extract a xa or replace a xa file because of the special xa header.

To do this you need to re-encode all the fmv and sound thats based on xa structure and then use a special PSX CD building tools and make sure it adds an xa header to each of the files you re-encoded

You also need speciall str and xa building tools for those to be built correctly, alot of the tools out there don't actually build xa and str files correctly ( the few official tools around do though )

Generally this is too much hassle specially for games that use alot of xa ( e.g. alot of games have every tiny bit of sound done through xa including all the little menu beeps )

It's been a while since I done anything but resident evil DC uncut had to have not just the uncut movies encoded but I had to re-encode all the xa sound effects/music and all the movies that did not get replaced, needed to be re-coded.

Also some games use TOC checks so replacing files with custom ones will not always work, keeping the file size the same will help in some cases, others it won't help it run, you will just end up breaking the game.
    Last edited by Zorlon; 22nd-March-2007 at 12:15.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR