Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: No$GBA's Nintendo DS Emulation

Thanks
    EP Points

The only DS games that I consider "must play" are the two castlevanias. How well do those emulate now? The last time I tried it (dawn of sorrow), I played it on desume, and it could draw the backrounds and the sprites, but it ran at about 1 FPS, had big black boxes over the sprites, and no foreground or decorations showing. I managed to get past the intro segment (something in a street), but then once it actually got inside dracula's castle all that was onscreen was black.
    As I was walking down the stair,
    I met a man who wasn't there.
    He wasn't there again today.
    I wish, I wish he'd go away.

Thanks

I don't have those games yet but since you requested them I'll get those and record them next.
    Haldrie's World
    (My official web site.)

My YouTube Channel

Thanks
    EP Points

I only have a 2.6 Ghz P4, so they might run a bit better for you. Dunno if the missing display items work yet. Oh, and it's a real pain to get it past the opening movie. If you take more than five seconds to figure out how to get the main menu working, it replays it, and it doesn't want to let you skip it.
    In the mean time, I'll pick up a copy of no$gba and see how it runs on that.
    Last edited by Jetsetlemming; 17th-March-2007 at 16:50.

Thanks

The missing display items are probably rendered in 3D so that's most likely why it doesn't show them in that emulator (especially in that version). If you try Super Mario 64 DS in DeSmuME and compare it to the videos I have you will see a big difference so I'm pretty sure the Castlevania games will work in No$GBA. So far only Final Fantasy III won't work in it with the few games I've tried.
    Haldrie's World
    (My official web site.)

My YouTube Channel

Mikey_ Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jetsetlemming View Post
    The only DS games that I consider "must play" are the two castlevanias. How well do those emulate now?
    On my machine, Portait of Ruin was pretty much unplayable. It ran slowly, but it was painful.

Thanks
    EP Points

DS sucks anyway. I'll emulate it once it's "emulatable"... There'll be a few games worth playing by then; both Castlevanias...And the rest (LOL)
    Btw; I've owned 2 DSs I'm not bases my upon on not having owned one and being a fanboy.

Thanks
    EP Points

I just tried Dawn of Sorrow in no$gba. It ran, but the menu info didn't show properly. I managed to click my way past that, to heard some of the worst stuttering sound I've heard since I started SNES emulation over half a decade ago. Once it actually loaded an ingame image, the backround worked, the foreground, the captions onscreen for the characters talking, but the character sprites themselves were entirely missing. Hitting print screen (on my keyboard, the normal windows function, not any special no$gba function) crashed the emulator. O_o It didn't take a screenshot.
    Gonna try desume and one or two others now. I'm pretty sure when I originally tested DoS, it was iDeaS that I used, not desume.

Ok, ran it in desume. It goes MUCH slower than no$, and doesn't recognize my button pressed half the time. It did display better, however. The main menu looked similar, but the new game screen shows up, if not properly, at least functionally.

It glitched out a bit during the opening intro monologue.

Displaying the ingame graphics:

While people are talking:

Here's how that last image is supposed to look (got the pic from gamespot)
    Last edited by Jetsetlemming; 17th-March-2007 at 19:53.

Thanks

Ok I just got them (went out for lunch and just got back) so I'm going to see what I can get out of No$GBA for these games.

[EDIT]
    Yeah it is missing a lot of video elements on the touchscreen especially on Portrait of Ruin. I can't see the menu on that game. It would see DeSmuME can do something that No$GBA can't after all (other then the sound emulation that is). There are still a lot of other games for me to try though.
    Last edited by Haldrie; 17th-March-2007 at 20:52.
    Haldrie's World
    (My official web site.)

My YouTube Channel

I'm in ur head, raping ur cerebral cortex
    Thanks

update to desmume today, for those of you who are comparing the emulators:
    - Added Shash's 3D Support
    (Note that this slows down the emulator a lot)
    http://amponzi.googlepages.com/DeSmuME-070317.zip

Thanks

I'm going to test it now. I hope this gets Mario 64 DS to work.

[EDIT]
    The only difference I see in this new version is that it is a lot slower then the previous WIP. It doesn't improve the 3D emulation at all.
    Last edited by Haldrie; 17th-March-2007 at 21:05.
    Haldrie's World
    (My official web site.)

My YouTube Channel

Thanks
    Thanked 1,180 Times in 550 Posts
    EP Points

Just a suggestion, I have to admit I haven't tried the emulator yet since I own a DS, but this thread would be more interesting/useful if the first post were updated with a list of the games tested and the results obtained so everyone could easily see it instead of having to read dozens of posts to find some info, that if the results are good enough to avail the time and effort to create and update the index, which I don't know.

Thanks

Hm...not a bad suggestion Cookie. I'll see how I can edit it to include that information. It may take me a while though.
    Haldrie's World
    (My official web site.)

My YouTube Channel

Thanks

A new version of No$GBA has just been released today!

- xboo: retested all xboo functions, re-fixed gba-bios dump, faster nds-download
    - nds/2d: fixed crash on empty/unallocated extended-obj-palette-slot (spiderman)
    - nds/3d/help: added various important notes in polygon light parameters chapter
    - nds/3d: recurses directional matrix (as on real nds, instead of gl_normalize)
    - nds/3d: skinning support (by soft_mul_vector, instead opengl modelview matrix)
    - nds/cart/help: added new info on first 2K of secure area (fixed bytes, crc16)
    - nds/gba/xboo: includes cmd/length in checksums (rather than raw data-checksum)
    - nds/xboo: get_info shows nds-backup type (chip-id and status-register bits)
    - nds/2d: fixed unrotated 512x256/512x512 bitmap sizes (thanks Kevin Keeling)
    - nds/dma: prevents dma from accessing tcm (for compatibility with downhill jam)
    - nds/xboo: added download NDS-cart from NDS-slot (slow 2 megabytes per minute)
    - nds/gba/xboo: splits downloads into small blocks (with block-retry on bad crc)
    - nds/cartloader: also accepts already-decrypted-and-destroyed secure-area-id's
    - gba/undoc/help: added newly discovered wram-disable bits (4000800h bits 0,5)
    - nds/cart: emulates correct nds chip-id size-field in respect to rom-image size
    - nds/cart/help: added note on nds-cart chip-id size field (nn+1 megabytes)
    - nds/screenshot: supports dual 256x192pix screens (as simple 256x384 bitmap)
    - nds/3d: supports keep-old-depth-setting for translucent-polygons (DepthMask)
    - nds/3d/rear: supports rear-plane rgba/depth bitmap (killer slow when/if used)
    - nds/3d/io: new 8bit write support, fixed 16bit write (accidently out_32_norm)
    Get the latest version here.
    Haldrie's World
    (My official web site.)

My YouTube Channel

Thanks

Christ, I hope I can play the Pokemon when it comes out...

I'm in ur head, raping ur cerebral cortex
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Slim View Post
    Christ, I hope I can play the Pokemon when it comes out...
    damnit, will somebody please take away his s-mod status?????