Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: No$GBA's Nintendo DS Emulation

Thanks

My laptop's processor clocks at 2.16GHz and runs faster then my old Pentium 4 Hyper-Thread at 4GHz.
    Haldrie's World
    (My official web site.)

My YouTube Channel

Mikey_ Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Haldrie View Post
    It's very processor hungry and I have an Intel Core 2 Duo that maxed at 30-40% usage for No$GBA so if you don't have fast processor yeah it's gonna be slow. It still was running a bit slow for me but still playable.
    I'll say!

DCK, my CPU is a P4, 3.0Ghz. But it only has 512MB of ram. Maybe that's it.

Thanks

I don't see how memory comes into play with emulation. I have 1GB of memory but I think the only time it fills up is when I play a PC game. I know that some memory is used for the emulator but not much.
    Haldrie's World
    (My official web site.)

My YouTube Channel

Mikey_ Guest

I don't see how memory comes into play with emulation. I have 1GB of memory but I think the only time it fills up is when I play a PC game. I know that some memory is used for the emulator but not much.
    Hm. Then I guess my CPU just isn't powerful enough to run it. I'm just, surprised. I mean, the DS is basically a portable N64. My PC emulates N64 games perfectly.

Thanks

I just did a little test and even while going in-game in Super Mario 64 DS it only uses about 30MB of memory and it doesn't seem to be taking advantage of my dual core processor because it is actually maxing at 50% and when it does that it slows down so if it did use both cores of my processor I bet it would run full speed.
    Haldrie's World
    (My official web site.)

My YouTube Channel

Mikey_ Guest

I just did a little test and even while going in-game in Super Mario 64 DS it only uses about 30MB of memory and it doesn't seem to be taking advantage of my dual core processor because it is actually maxing at 50% and when it does that it slows down so if it did use both cores of my processor I bet it would run full speed.
    I really hope more progress is done with it then. It's kind of ridiculous that an emulator for a portable like the DS would be so CPU intensive.

Thanks

You have to understand that it takes more processor power to emulate a system then to just run a basic PC application. A lot of tweaking with the code has to be done in order to take full advantage of a PC's resorces when emulating. This is what pcsx2 (a very good PS2 emulator) suffers from. My computer can handle just about every console (except for the new HD consoles) but due to limitations in emulation and not to mention that most of these new games have special encryption which eats up processor power to decrypt games still run slow on it. It won't be long before NDS emulation is truly realized now but (since I brought it up) PS2 emulation will take a lot longer.
    Haldrie's World
    (My official web site.)

My YouTube Channel

Thanks
    EP Points

I'm impressed. While it's obviously not going to be perfect, it is getting there. I tried XX,YY, Meteos, Goldeneye, Mario DS, Mario/Luigi Partners in Time, and Kirby Squeak Squad.

Mario froze, and Goldeneye's touch screen was WAY off, but otherwise, it was pretty decent emulation. My sound was pretty staticy too.

Thanks

Mario froze? Are you sure? I does take longer to get past the first screen then on the real NDS so you might want to wait a few minutes before you're sure it froze. I'm guessing you're talking about Mario 64 DS.
    Haldrie's World
    (My official web site.)

My YouTube Channel

Thanks
    EP Points

Mario froze? Are you sure? I does take longer to get past the first screen then on the real NDS so you might want to wait a few minutes before you're sure it froze. I'm guessing you're talking about Mario 64 DS.
    Yeah, it's Mario DS. I probably was too impatient. I ran the other ROMs first, so when it stayed on the NINTENDO screen longer than what I thought was normal, I just closed it. I tried the U, J and E ROMs, and they were all the same.

Thanks

It takes about 30 seconds before it gets past that screen. I'm preparing a video to up load to YouTube showing it working.
    Haldrie's World
    (My official web site.)

My YouTube Channel

Thanks
    EP Points

It takes about 30 seconds before it gets past that screen. I'm preparing a video to up load to YouTube showing it working.
    Sounds good I'll have to try it again.

Thanks

You have every right to be impatiant though since the real DS only shows that screen for 2 seconds.

I am uploading the first of a 2 part video to YouTube now showing Super Mario 64 DS in action in No$GBA. I plan on doing videos of other games as soon as I can but I wanted to get this one up tonight before I passed out so I may or may not have part 2 up before tomorrow morning (central time). You can check my YouTube channel in my sig to see if it's up but it will be another 10 minutes or so from this post before it's even done uploading.

edit--
    Hey...I did that intentionally to bump it to let people know about the video. Anyway I now have both parts up and ready to view on YouTube. I plan on adding more soon and sorry for bumping again. This is that last time I double post on this topic I promise.
    Last edited by SegNin; 17th-March-2007 at 16:03.
    Haldrie's World
    (My official web site.)

My YouTube Channel

Inside of a Final Fantasy NES cartridge...
    Thanks
    EP Points

That's why I deleted the first message and edited the second one--so you wouldn't lose your bump.
    And now, I've done it again.

See, you still have the bump.

Thanks

Oh ok. I'm uploading a recording of Final Fantasy III now. It only plays the intro but it also shows the menu and goes farther in-game then DeSmuME does without all the graphics glitches (which isn't saying much as you'll see when you watch the video). This is for you Astaroth since you wanted to know about Final Fantasy III.
    Haldrie's World
    (My official web site.)

My YouTube Channel