Thread: Need some help setting up my site.

Thanks

Default Need some help setting up my site.

Instead of going through a thousand tutorials, I'd like to personally ask people who know what they're doing to help me. Hear's the deal, I already know how to use HTML to some extent and how websites work. Problem is, I'm none too sure how to actually find a host and get a site up and running.

Basically I am asking for somewhere I can host mt site, for free if possible, if not for as lower price as possible. I could just Google this information, but as I've never really set up a whole site before (done the odd page and forum, but never a whole site) I may need additional help afterwards.

Here's what I want to do with my site for clarity. If this is asking too much of a free web host, then as I said, I am willing to pay a small fee. I could probably do all these things on already existing sites, but I want one central site dedicated to me and the things I do.

1. The main page of course, with links to navigate around the site and latest news and what not.

2. I wish to have a page the displays a world map, with clickable markers at locations I've visited around the world. Once clicked, a seprate page will load and display pictures of the location with descriptions, and a short bit of info about the place and my visit there. I have already done some places in the UK and plan to do Tokyo and other parts of Asia within the next 10 weeks.

3. A section of the site will be dedicated to my artworks (mostly manga) and possibly fan-based comics if I ever get the time to make one.

4. I want to have a blog on there also. Nothing flashy, just a simple, down to earth blog. I don't mind if the blog is not hosted on the site, I guess just linking to a blog by me on another site would be okay too.

5. A shop. This is pretty simple, a list of stuff for sale with PayPal links, shipping information and pictures/descriptions of the product.

6. General pages about my hobbies and intrests. Again nothing flashy, just the ability to write stuff and post pictures.

Thanks in advance for any help.
    Raaagghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh..... hh..

Thanks

In my opinion, it wouldn't be a good idea to pay for a webhost if the site isn't started yet, since websites can take time to build. I'd try a free host first, and in time you can pay for a host if you like.

If you are looking for a free host, try
    http://www.unlimitedmb.com/.
    They're always up, and give a huge amount of bandwidth. They only thing is, with the large amount of diskspace they also offer, there are upload limits, they want to keep it as a web host rather than a file host, and that's pretty much the same across the board with free hosts, but, yeah, you'll have more than enough space to create a detailed web site.

Thanks
    EP Points

I use Canaca.com, plenty of cheap plans if you plan on just trying stuff out, and of course highly expandable. Free hosts are never good.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Borman View Post
    I use Canaca.com, plenty of cheap plans if you plan on just trying stuff out, and of course highly expandable. Free hosts are never good.
    Well, here's an example of a site hosted by whom i suggested.
    http://www.thugonline.ulmb.com/

Nothing wrong with that.

Thanks

i would suggest http://www.servage.net , thats my host plus if i give you my refferal code "when you refer a new customer - they get 25 GB (25000 MB) extra space too!"

you get and extra 25GB for your account... so it rocks

Thanks

Thanks for all those great links guys.

I have to admit, Brightside's does look the most tempting. Free domain, email accounts, 250GB space and 2100GB bandwidth. At £4.50 per month. God damn. As they always say to me, that's a lot to play with.

Maca's right though, I'll have to actually build my site a bit first before I actually purchase.

I am.. very temped to sign up to Servage right now though. Would give me your referal code?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Xena View Post
    Instead of going through a thousand tutorials, I'd like to personally ask people who know what they're doing to help me. Hear's the deal, I already know how to use HTML to some extent and how websites work. Problem is, I'm none too sure how to actually find a host and get a site up and running.

Basically I am asking for somewhere I can host mt site, for free if possible, if not for as lower price as possible. I could just Google this information, but as I've never really set up a whole site before (done the odd page and forum, but never a whole site) I may need additional help afterwards.

Here's what I want to do with my site for clarity. If this is asking too much of a free web host, then as I said, I am willing to pay a small fee. I could probably do all these things on already existing sites, but I want one central site dedicated to me and the things I do.

1. The main page of course, with links to navigate around the site and latest news and what not.

2. I wish to have a page the displays a world map, with clickable markers at locations I've visited around the world. Once clicked, a seprate page will load and display pictures of the location with descriptions, and a short bit of info about the place and my visit there. I have already done some places in the UK and plan to do Tokyo and other parts of Asia within the next 10 weeks.

3. A section of the site will be dedicated to my artworks (mostly manga) and possibly fan-based comics if I ever get the time to make one.

4. I want to have a blog on there also. Nothing flashy, just a simple, down to earth blog. I don't mind if the blog is not hosted on the site, I guess just linking to a blog by me on another site would be okay too.

5. A shop. This is pretty simple, a list of stuff for sale with PayPal links, shipping information and pictures/descriptions of the product.

6. General pages about my hobbies and intrests. Again nothing flashy, just the ability to write stuff and post pictures.

Thanks in advance for any help.

1. I suggest you download a free template and edit that for starters and
    when you get better then try making one of your own.
    Learning xhtml and css is a good start.

2. Well an image map thingy would do that...
    I know how to do this with Gimp (Gimp user ), but I never needed to do this so "google"

3. Gallery script like http://coppermine-gallery.net/index.php can do that

4. Search for script for this or register an account for one of those free sytes that offer blog sytes for their users.

5. Another script...

6. Cutenews this is for posting news on the mainpage mainly, but I've used it for making other sections of my syte.
    Then again page about interests and hobbies, you're not likely to update it frequently so just writing it with xhtml and if need to edit once a month then it's pretty easy to just edit it in the code.
    Definition: "love" is making a shot to the knees of a target 120 kilometers away using a Aratech sniper rifle with a tri-light scope

:: There are one-zero kinds of people. Those who understand binary and F others who understand hex ::

Webmaster of:
    http://Irregular-Network.22web.net

My PSX ISO's List:
    updated 4.01.2006 (way pass expiration date, but I still got all what's on the list so request away)
    Here

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Xena View Post
    Would give me your referal code?
    i would give you the world

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rydia View Post
    i would give you the world
    Give it? Why don't you share it with me?

Quote Originally Posted by aKe
    1. I suggest you download a free template and edit that for starters and
    when you get better then try making one of your own.
    Learning xhtml and css is a good start.

2. Well an image map thingy would do that...
    I know how to do this with Gimp (Gimp user ), but I never needed to do this so "google"

3. Gallery script like http://coppermine-gallery.net/index.php can do that

4. Search for script for this or register an account for one of those free sytes that offer blog sytes for their users.

5. Another script...

6. Cutenews this is for posting news on the mainpage mainly, but I've used it for making other sections of my syte.
    Then again page about interests and hobbies, you're not likely to update it frequently so just writing it with xhtml and if need to edit once a month then it's pretty easy to just edit it in the code.
    Wow, thanks for all that. I certainly will try a bit of xhtml, and mabye I'll get my head around css one day.

Thanks

you could use a content management system to make things easier

Thanks

@Xena
    Or if you like you could make a forum and integrate parts of your syte to it...it's a less hassle.
    Unfortunately I'm only experienced with Simple Machine Forums so other than that forum system I'm unlikely to help, but any forum system is likely to have some kind of support forum that you can ask stuff.
    If you need any help then I can be of assistance just mail or pm me
    [email protected]
    I'm the webmaster of Irregular-Network
    Definition: "love" is making a shot to the knees of a target 120 kilometers away using a Aratech sniper rifle with a tri-light scope

:: There are one-zero kinds of people. Those who understand binary and F others who understand hex ::

Webmaster of:
    http://Irregular-Network.22web.net

My PSX ISO's List:
    updated 4.01.2006 (way pass expiration date, but I still got all what's on the list so request away)
    Here

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rydia View Post
    i would suggest http://www.servage.net , thats my host plus if i give you my refferal code "when you refer a new customer - they get 25 GB (25000 MB) extra space too!"

you get and extra 25GB for your account... so it rocks
    Very impressive. I'm tempted to transfer to that host now. Right now I'm using Hostgator. I do all of my changes to my site offline on my hard drive and then upload the new/modified files when their ready.
    Haldrie's World
    (My official web site.)

My YouTube Channel

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Haldrie View Post
    Very impressive. I'm tempted to transfer to that host now. Right now I'm using Hostgator. I do all of my changes to my site offline on my hard drive and then upload the new/modified files when their ready.
    well if you transer i can give you the code too, plus all accounts got upgraded to 310GB space and 3TB bandwidth, plus with my coupon code you get an extra 25GB