Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ripped or not ripped?

Thanks

Default Ripped or not ripped?

Hello, Emuparadisers!

I have a question that haunts me whenever I download a ROM.

That question is "is it ripped?"

I don't like ripped games unless that game's lines are cheesy like this:
    "Here's a lockpick. It might be handy if you, the master of unlocking, take it with you."

I can smell the cheese already....

So, how do I know if the game is ripped?
    *knock*knock*

Who's that?

*infinite loop*

Thanks
    EP Points

You don't.

Most ripped games are <200MB, but there are a lot of ISOs that compress to a lot less than that. But at <200MB, it's not a great loss of time even if it is a ripped game.
    http://www.epforums.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=29796&dateline=143454  3972

Thanks
    Thanked 1,180 Times in 550 Posts
    EP Points

You mean ISOs anyways, not ROMs. I guess you are referring to the PSX ISOs.
    All the ISOs we have here at EP and properly labelled so you can be sure what you dl is the complete game (or a rip if that's stated).
    If you've dled it elsewhere, let us know how big is the file and we'll try to help you telling if it's a rip or not.

Thanks

I think he means "hacked roms" not rips. Hacked roms usually have some indication in the file name or have a release screen at the start of the game (Mode 7's releases for example *shudders*). If you really want to be sure that your roms are the correct 1:1 copies from the original cartriage you can get programs like CRC Mame Pro or Rom Center and use the dat files from the datsets at http://www.gbadat.altervista.org/ (the official no-intro dat files used in no-intro dat sets).

As far as ripped CD/DVD images, the only games I've seen ripped or hacked are PlayStation games. Hacked games can usually be seen in any emulator if they are a NTSC/PAL hack or if they are simply a release hack you will only see the difference if you load the game in pSX The Emulator. If the black PS screen is modified in anyway then it's a hack. It will usually be a very obvious difference as seen in these screenshots if you click here. If a game is ripped you will usually notice a loss of FMVs or music and some games that are ripped may have problems running like they should.
    Last edited by Haldrie; 13th-March-2007 at 13:30.
    Haldrie's World
    (My official web site.)

My YouTube Channel

Thanks
    EP Points

What about Dreamcast? =P The DC scene is pretty huge too.

Inside of a Final Fantasy NES cartridge...
    Thanks
    EP Points

There often are tell-tale signs when a PSX game is a rip.
    I listed the signs that I know of here:
    http://www.epforums.org/tell-its-rip...&highlight=rip

Thanks

Self-boot Dreamcast games have to be compressed or ripped to fit on a CD in order to be self-booting. If order to do this most release groups will compress the audio (ADX) and/or video (SFD) files so the file size is small enough to fit on a CD with the self-boot area on the disc. Most Dreamcast games can actually fit on a CD without compression but this can only work if you do not make it a self-boot disc.

As for hacks I have never seen one but at the same time I have never downloaded more then a few to try on Chankast several years ago and am waiting for someone to upload true 1:1 copies of the GD-ROMs. I have read about a tool that allows you to change the start-up screen when the game is loaded but other then that I have never seen anything else.
    Haldrie's World
    (My official web site.)

My YouTube Channel

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Haldrie View Post
    Self-boot Dreamcast games have to be modified to fit on a CD in order to be self-booting. If order to do this most releast groups will compress the audio (ADX) and/or video (SFD) files so the file size is small enough to fit on a CD with the self-boot area on the disc. Most Dreamcast games can actually fit on a CD without compression but this can only work if you do not make it a self-boot disc.

As for hacks I have never seen one but at the same time I have never downloaded more then a few to try on Chankast several years ago and am waiting for someone to upload true 1:1 copies of the GD-ROMs. I have read about a tool that allows you to change the start-up screen when the game is loaded but other then that I have never seen anything else.
    btw Haldrie if you don't know anything about Dreamcast, don't bother trying to explain it.
    ~Selfbooting a game is a lot less complicated than most people think...Selfboot takes about 80MB of the disc, the rest is for the game's data itself.
    No. There's only been one game which was "Compressed" as such, which was Skies of Arcadia PAL, by Echelon. The game decompresses itself on the fly. That's how it's only 2x80 minute, and the Hykan version was 4x99 minutes.
    Movies SFD, music ADX, were downsampled to make them fit onto a CDR. Often enough the music files were removed, on earlier releases. Or they were monoized/downsampled in quality.
    Selfboot sectors of a disc take up about 80MB, that's not a lot of space, there's stilll around 620MB of space for the game.
    GD-ROM full dumps will only probably ever happen by dedicated DC fans, of the games that were heavily protected and aren't most compatible with Dreamcast...D2 for example. <-- 99 min + on 2 of the discs....
    Last edited by Inferno.; 13th-March-2007 at 16:31.

Thanks

Compressed, downsized, you know what I mean. I know the selfboot area only takes up a small portion of the disc but sometimes that's all it takes to force downsizing of the media on the disc to allow selfbooting. I've played around with some of the selfbooting tools myself so I know how it works and I have programs for ripping and recompressing the audio and video files. I actually have a copy of a non-selfboot TR4 and it takes up almost every last sector on the disc (701MB).

Also when I said 1:1 I meant copies that don't have the video and audio downsampled so I can enjoy them as they should be. To me selfboot means downsampled.
    Haldrie's World
    (My official web site.)

My YouTube Channel

Thanks
    EP Points

Crazy Taxi selfboot, full image...Is only 100MB, depends on how large the GD-ROM is don't it? ... D2 contains 1.2GB data on the GD-ROM. Crazy Taxi contains about 100MB data on the GD-ROM. Some games took around 10MB on the GD-ROM.
    701MB or even 786MB images still burn to 80 minute discs. It's all down to length as well as how much data is on the disc.
    I've selfbooted one game, which was around 79:56 minutes nonselfboot, when I selfbooted it it went to around 80:02, when I overburnt it to a disc it plays fine.

Thanks

Hm...well then what about Sonic Adventure 1 and 2? With the copies I have it is obvious that the audio has been downsampled making some of the songs sound ugly.
    Haldrie's World
    (My official web site.)

My YouTube Channel

Thanks
    EP Points

Read the NFOs, depending on what group did the rip whatever was ripped depends on what they felt needed to be ripped.
    My Sonic Adventure 1 plays just like the GD-ROM version, was PAL version ripped by Da1m0n.

If you want to experience Dreamcast properly buy the GD-ROMs. No quality, movie loss, data loss, etc. Or strain on the laser, for that matter. Since original file order's kept with GD-ROMs, obv.
    Last edited by Inferno.; 13th-March-2007 at 20:56.

Thanks

you mean DC werem't made to play burnt games?

Quote Originally Posted by The Joker
    I believe whatever doesn't kill you simply makes you, stranger!
    The Demon who makes Trophies of Men

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Death Cube K View Post
    you mean DC werem't made to play burnt games?
    Damn, I thought you could. I just put Sonic Adv 1 on a disk, but I haven't tried it out yet. So much for keeping my hopes alive.

BTW: The topic creator mean roms (gba etc) right?

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Lucxus View Post
    I shaved my pubic hair fully off a couple weeks back. Not something I want to experience again. I mean, the first day or two were alright, but when it started to grow back it was bullshit.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post
    Damn, I thought you could. I just put Sonic Adv 1 on a disk, but I haven't tried it out yet. So much for keeping my hopes alive.

BTW: The topic creator mean roms (gba etc) right?
    I mean both ROMS and ISOs
    *knock*knock*

Who's that?

*infinite loop*