Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Saturn emulation on a Celeron?

Thanks
    EP Points

Default Saturn emulation on a Celeron?

My Celeron has SSE2.
    It can barely play Radiant Silvergun at 15fps. ~ With SSF. I cannot get any other Dreamcast emulators to work; other than Yabause. Which doesn't play the games I want it to play.
    There's SNAILS/GIRIGIRI/BARNITO, but. I cannot work out how to use them. Is there any chance of being able to play PD I & II & SAGA at decent speeds on my Celeron? I don't have the cash to get a new processor, cos there's better things that need upgrading in this right now.
    PC Spec:
    Intel Celeron 3.06GHZ
    768MB DDR2 RAM (256/512)
    128MB ATi Radeon 9250 (AGP old ass pos)

yeh yeh I know how to convert MP3 to WAVE, how to use Cue Maker and how to mount images.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Astaroth View Post
    My Celeron has SSE2.
    It can barely play Radiant Silvergun at 15fps. ~ With SSF. I cannot get any other Dreamcast emulators to work; other than Yabause. Which doesn't play the games I want it to play.
    There's SNAILS/GIRIGIRI/BARNITO, but. I cannot work out how to use them. Is there any chance of being able to play PD I & II & SAGA at decent speeds on my Celeron? I don't have the cash to get a new processor, cos there's better things that need upgrading in this right now.
    PC Spec:
    Intel Celeron 3.06GHZ
    768MB DDR2 RAM (256/512)
    128MB ATi Radeon 9250 (AGP old ass pos)

yeh yeh I know how to convert MP3 to WAVE, how to use Cue Maker and how to mount images.
    Dreamcast emulator... i thought you were emulating saturn....

well saturn emulation is delicate thing

ssf has high requirements and your not in the club so thats a no go... girigiri and cassini (a.k.a Barnito) are the same emu's ..... theres not much else you can do. i say get a saturn

Thanks
    EP Points

What gets me is I can emulate Dreamcast better than Saturn.
    Well. I would have a Saturn now, if I was allowed to buy stuff online, I had the perfect one for modding. Parents were like "OMG NO YOUR NOT BUYING ONLINE!!!11" So I ended up swapping it for something stupid. Swap trick is teh gay.
    Is there not anyway to trick SSF into giving me a decent speed on SSF? lol.

Thanks
    EP Points

The thing is, decent Saturn emulators have only really started appearing over the last year or two. They've always been difficult to optimise due to Sega literally including about eight separate CPUs in the console. A Celeron, in fact pretty much anything less than a Pentium 4, is going to struggle with it. Sorry man. In all honesty I'd just try to pick up a modded Saturn. It shouldn't set you back that much, probably around $40-50 at most. If your parents won't let you order things online I'm sure a friend would do it for you.
    Last edited by Cosmic; 22nd-February-2007 at 23:12.

Thanks
    EP Points

Racketboy bumpt up the price from 15$ to 30$ or something.

I might aswell stop being cheap and get a decent CPU, be better all around then getting a modded Saturn.

Core 2 Duos are a bit out of my league. P4s are a bit expensive for what they are. So I was thinking of getting a Pentium D - half way between. I like Intel for using the same socket over their CPUs. Unlike AMD.

-- If anyone has any ideas though, lemme know.

Thanks

i would suggest getting a saturn somehow.... because as cosmic said the saturn had a processor for every single thing... the cdrom,sound(obvi)............

Thanks
    EP Points

Yes. but with a P4 you can get full speed with most games. Dual Core would be w00t. Yeh Saturn's a bitch due to the amount of processors.

Thanks

not necessarily, p4's suck balls at emulating it also... trust me

Thanks
    EP Points

Celerons do too, my guess is a P4 would be a lot better at emulating than a Celeron. I don't want a P4 anyway, I want either a core 2 duo or a D.

Thanks

Celerons do too, my guess is a P4 would be a lot better at emulating than a Celeron. I don't want a P4 anyway, I want either a core 2 duo or a D.
    stay away from the d, get a core 2...

Thanks
    EP Points

But the difference between a D and a Duo is massive! I don't even have any money to get either, lol. I've only got 50p and I need more credit on my phone and a few new 360 games

Thanks
    EP Points

Games that rely on the Saturn's 2D capabilities, like Radiant Silvergun, usually run slow as crap. I've had pretty decent speeds for the Panzer Dragoon games, though. You could also check this out for more info, if needed.

Thanks
    EP Points

Well I mainly only want to play Panzer Dragoon I & II, maybe Saga.
    I've found the 3D games have been harder on my Celeron than the 2D ones.
    Last edited by Inferno.; 22nd-February-2007 at 23:32.

Thanks
    EP Points

Swap trick is teh gay.
    What's so 'gay' about it? I'd agree that a modchip is preferable, but if you get a Saturn with oval buttons, the swap trick is an absolute cinch (like...seriously. You'll be able to do it every single time with no trouble whatsoever). I guess it's not very good for the drive motor...but I've been using it for a year and a half, and my Saturn's still doing fine. Besides, second hand Saturns are hardly expensive pieces of hardware.

Thanks
    EP Points

It's rare that there's Model 1 Saturns here. But if I see one I WILL buy it. The other that I bought was model 2, swap trick on model 2 is crappy.