Thread: Playstation disc won't run on emulator

Thanks

Default Playstation disc won't run on emulator

Ok i have 2 emulators, epsxe and psxfin......the first emulator is the best for playing most ps1 games and the 2nd is best for playing Final Fantasy games, well at least that's wat people said......anyway here's my problem, i have the original Final Fantasy 8 game and obviously it's on a ps1 disc, i wanna play it again and i wanna use psxfin to play it since i think it's better than epsxe when playing FF games, i tried it myself as well cuz i downloaded FF9 from this site and when i used epsxe there were times when i was playing and the game just freezes whereas psxfin runs the game smoothly.

The point is i don't wanna use epsxe and i wanna use psxfin and i don't wanna play the game with the disc because i wanna play it straight from my hardrive, so i was told by my friend to make an ISO file or a .BIN file of the game. So, i downloaded and registered Ultra ISO and made an image file of the disc rite, and i tried it on psxfin and it doesn't work, i converted the disc file to .BIN format and tried it and still didn't work. Then i thought maybe i have to play it with the disc so i ran psxfin and open the game straight from the disc and it still doesn't work, wat do i do?

I'm in ur head, raping ur cerebral cortex
    Thanks

Try playing the disc using Emurayden, that's what I use for disc emulation and it works flawlessly.

Mikey_ Guest

Hm. Odd. I use UltraISO to make nearly all of my ISO's. I also use Alcohol 120%. Use ePSXe to load up the image, not that other emulator. It should be either an .iso or two files making up .bin and .cue files. Or you can use Alcohol and make images also, like .mdf/.mds files. If neither of that works, try using Daemon Tools, or again, Alcohol...create a virtual drive, and mount the game. Then try and use ePSXe to load the disc, which would be the mounted disc in the virtual drive.

Thanks

cool thx but could u tell me how to play the game without the disc? Did i do something wrong? Cuz i do know how to make an iso file etc, is there a special way or something else that i need to do?

ok thx guys, really appreciated. The support of this forum is great too, really fast response
    Last edited by Cookie Monster; 20th-February-2007 at 11:04.

Mikey_ Guest

Quote Originally Posted by chaoscreater View Post
    cool thx but could u tell me how to play the game without the disc? Did i do something wrong? Cuz i do know how to make an iso file etc, is there a special way or something else that i need to do?
    Well, you did say you tried playing the game with the second emulator, psxfin, I think? Did you try it on ePSXe?

(Try not to double post. Use the Edit button below your post.)

Thanks

I was playing ff8 today from my hard drive but i was not using epsxe or the other emulators. Connectix Virtual Game Station has the best compatablity i have ever seen. I dont think any emulator can beat it in compatablity or smooth game play. The only thing about cvgs is the graphics are below par than the other emulators but the games run so smooth and perfect. You would never run into the same problems like the other emulators. I use daemon tools to mount isos to run off the hard drive. If you want to try a program that works for ripping isos PCSX2 has a plugin that will rip ps1 and ps2 isos. The plugin is called EFP Iso CDVD Driver 0.6.0. All you need to do is download the latest PCSX2 emulator for it.

Thanks

There are many programs out there for making images and there are many different types of images for CDs and DVDs. pSX 1.10 is the first version of any emulator to run all US Final Fantasy games 100% perfect. CVGS is an out of date emulator with the weakest comptability and only supports digital pad controls. It can't even run FFIX properly. As for that pcsx2 CDVD plugin I have now idea what you are taking about as far as ripping goes. All that plugin can do is run and ISO for pcsx2. Other then that it has no purpose for any other emulator.
    Haldrie's World
    (My official web site.)

My YouTube Channel

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Haldrie View Post
    There are many programs out there for making images and there are many different types of images for CDs and DVDs. pSX 1.10 is the first version of any emulator to run all US Final Fantasy games 100% perfect. CVGS is an out of date emulator with the weakest comptability and only supports digital pad controls. It can't even run FFIX properly. As for that pcsx2 CDVD plugin I have now idea what you are taking about as far as ripping goes. All that plugin can do is run and ISO for pcsx2. Other then that it has no purpose for any other emulator.
    I seem to have a problem running pSX 1.10 since im running win xp sp1. I dont have no Data Execution Prevention (DEP) feature in my performance settings. This causes pSX 1.10 to crash on me the instant i run it. Did you know that there was some patches made for CVGS that fixes lots of problems with ff9? Im using a usb to ps2 adapter and my analog/pad works fine with CVGS. I found some comptability lists and compared a few games. Its seems to me that CVGS can run games pSX cant. These are just a few i found and im sure theres tons of games CVGS can play that pSX cant.

Also heres some images of that pcsx2 CDVD plugin.
    http://ms4278.phpnet.us/pic1.JPG
    http://ms4278.phpnet.us/pic2.JPG
    http://ms4278.phpnet.us/pic3.JPG

--------------------------------------------------------------------
    pSX
    Need For Speed SLUS_002.04 1.4 NO Unbootable

CVGS Need For Speed 10 Runs perfect.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
    pSX Bloody Roar SCUS_941.99 1.6 NO Crashes emulator

CVGS Bloody Roar 10 Music & SFX flawless, action fast and accurate.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
    pSX Medal of Honor SLUS_009.74 1.6-1.9 NO Game stops rendering graphics shortly into the game
    SLES_024.70 1.6 NO

CVGS Medal of Honor 10 Gameplay is perfect.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    pSX Mortal Kombat Trilogy SLUS_003.30 1.1-1.7 NO Freezes at the title screen
    SLES_005.28 1.10 NO Freezes at the black loading screen, but the music keeps playing
    SLES_025.09 1.5 NO

CVGS Mortal Kombat Trilogy 10 Plays flawlessly

------------------------------------------------------------------
    pSX
    Final Fantasy 7 SCUS_941.63 (3) 1.9-1.10 YES FMVs are skipping a lot when loading an image file
    SCES_008.67 (3) 1.3 YES
    Final Fantasy 8 SLUS_008.92 (4) 1.8-1.10 YES Battle transition effect problems; Minor stuttering during FMV's and at some points during game play; Disc 3: Game often hangs after on the space station after the "Lunar Cry" FMV
    SLES_020.80 (4) 1.7-1.10 YES BIOS 1001, 7502; Copy protected (patched); Battle transition effect problems, FMV's will randomly not play the sound specifcally for that FMV, graphics problem at left-end of Dollet bridge
    SLES_020.81 (4) 1.9 YES PAL-F
    Final Fantasy 9 SLUS_012.51 (4) 1.9-1.10 YES
    SLES_029.65 (4) 1.7-1.8 NO PAL-E; Hangs after the "Do what I say, not what I do" ATE; -r command line option does not help
    SLES_029.67 (4) 1.9-1.10 YES PAL-G
    SLES_029.69 (4) 1.9 YES PAL-S

CVGS
    CVGS Final Fantasy VII 10 The game runs absolutely flawlessly
    CVGS Final Fantasy VIII 9.7 Battle menus and pointers visible. Better transitions to FMV sequences. Minor sound discrepancies.
    CVGS Final Fantasy IX 9 Runs well with the games.txt patch. Battle menus flicker (but are visible) and loading a game requires the "Frozengame" patch

-------------------------------------------------------------------
    pSX
    Tekken 2 SLUS_002.13 1.9-1.10 NO Freezes after the Playstation logo; use v1.7 or v1.8
    SCES_002.55 1.8-1.10 NO Freezes after the Playstation logo; use v1.7
    Tekken 3 SLUS_004.02 1.9-1.10 NO Crashes after completing a round or a fight (no matter if you win or lose it); video resolution is a little off
    SLPS_013.00 1.6, 1.9-1.10 NO
    SCES_012.37 1.8-1.10 NO v1.10: BIOS 7502; Freezes when completing a match, but Tekken Force and Practice modes work

CVGS Tekken 2 10 Runs perfectly.
    CVGS Tekken 3 10 All aspects work perfectly. Real PSX-like graphics.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------
    pSX
    Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2 SLUS_010.66 1.0, 1.4 NO Major graphical issues

CVGS
    Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2 10 Works great.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    pSX
    Xenogears SLUS_006.64 (2) 1.10 YES Intro is very jerky, -r command line switch doesn't help

CVGS Xenogears 10 Everything runs flawlessly.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Last edited by Matias; 20th-February-2007 at 09:27.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,180 Times in 550 Posts
    EP Points

To make a rip of your original discs, use ISOBuster and follow this guide Zorlon wrote: http://www.epforums.org/showthread.php?t=40611
    Then, to run the game you'll need to install Daemon Tools 3.47 to create a virtual cd/dvd drive in your comp, mount the image file there and set your emulator so it reads from there. Daemon explained in detail, by Zorlon http://www.epforums.org/showthread.php?t=43442

ePSXe 1.52 can perfectly run FF IX and any other FF game, you only have to set up the emu properly. If you need more info about how to do it, read this:
    http://www.epforums.org/showthread.php?t=26432
    http://www.lordkane.co.uk/forums/index.php?board=8.0

Thanks
    EP Points

Get Alcohol 120% to make your PSX disc images. (www.alcohol-soft.com) the free trial will do just fine.
    Use the "Image Making Wizard" - Select Datatype: "Play Station" and check "Read Sub Channel Data" and check "Skip Reading Errors".
    On the next screen chose a "CCD image - CloneCD" hit start.
    Once it is done you've now got a disc image.
    To mount disc images I recommend using Daemon Tools (http://www.daemon-tools.cc/dtcc/download.php) when asked about a sponsor put "HELL NO" you don't want their adware. You can follow Zorlon's mounting guide from here.
    pSX will read the disc image fine. ><

Thanks

Makenshi, why don't you just upgrade to SP2? pSX is starting to beat ePSXe in the compatibility department and even though it does not have have all the advaced features of ePSXe it is a lot more stable.

[EDIT]
    Ok, so I never really played with the ISO plugins. Sorry to chew you out about it.

And as far as CVGS again that emulator is way out of date and having to patch the image is rediculous. pSX is trying to run the PlayStation exactly like the real system so that is why they are still having compatibility issues but it is also why some games like FFIX run better on it then any other emulator.
    Last edited by Haldrie; 20th-February-2007 at 16:02.
    Haldrie's World
    (My official web site.)

My YouTube Channel

Inside of a Final Fantasy NES cartridge...
    Thanks
    EP Points

CVGS was a commercial PSX emulator, the Connectix Virtual Game Station.

Connectix, the company that made and sold it, were put out of business when Sony sued them and dragged the case on and on until Connectix finally went bankrupt.

Sony btw, did the same thing with Bleem!, which was the other commercial PSX emulator available back then.

Because Connectix tried to create an emulator that was as identical as a real PSX, compatibility is very high ~98%.
    Only some games need to be patched because of the copy protection.

But you do need to patch CVGS if you have a newer computer; and you also need to patch it to get the full version (otherwise, you'll only have the demo version--and I think the demo version doesn't have memcard or joypad support.)

But ePSXe is still the best choice for PSX games because it offers high compatibility ~98%, graphical enhancements, cheat code support (with [PEC] plugin), save states, etc. that CVGS doesn't offer.

And pSXfin is still too new to be considered better than ePSXe overall.
    It certainly doesn't have as high compatibility as either ePSXe, CVGS or PSXeven, which is another great (yet often overlooked) PSX emulator.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SegNin View Post
    But ePSXe is still the best choice for PSX games because it offers high compatibility ~98%, graphical enhancements, cheat code support (with [PEC] plugin), save states, etc. that CVGS doesn't offer.
    Sometimes i run into games on epsxe that run slower or have a glitch that wont work itself out even by changing plugins or adjusting the best options like for example in xenogears/epsxe when the graphics swirl around the game fps goes down (might be with ati cards only but i havent tried other cards). With CVGS you dont need speed or nice hardware specs like epsxe and yet it can still iron out the glitches that i find with some games on epsxe. I know CVGS is older than a dinosaur but man it sure does do good compatibility wise. Epsxe is a nice emulator and all the enhancements are good but it taxes my pc hard for resources for them enhancements. I would still use epsxe on some games for the enhancements but when i run into slow downs and glitches then i think about CVGS and wonder if it can run smoother at the same part in the game as epsxe.

Makenshi, why don't you just upgrade to SP2? pSX is starting to beat ePSXe in the compatibility department and even though it does not have have all the advaced features of ePSXe it is a lot more stable.
    Cause sp2 makes my pc run slower with games than sp1. I do want sp2 for the addtional security features but on second thought i might just install windows vista on another hard drive and keep sp1 for the speed it offers. SP1 less security yes but its much faster.

Thanks

Well, SegNin, I still feel there should be more support for pSX then what it's getting. After all it is the only PSX emulaor still being developed and compatibility increases with each new version. Combine that with their forum with plenty of user input and compatibility tests and a staff that takes almost every suggestion into consideration and pSX could become the ultimate PlayStation emulator. I feel that they are right not to do enhancements like ePSXe until they can get all the games to run. The author of pSX has said that he does not want to include these enhancements at all but he may change his mind once he has all the games running.
    Haldrie's World
    (My official web site.)

My YouTube Channel

Thanks

wow guys, thx for da replies, i really like the support it's so fast!! I tried the suggestions u guys gave and it worked fine now, thx a lot!