Thread: The NEW music appreciation thread

Thanks
    EP Points

Default The NEW music appreciation thread

This is to inject a bit more life into this section

Rules

1. You must show your appreciation of a said album in depth. A lengthy post including a description of the song or album, why it appeals to you or why it might appeal to someone else, etc. Not just an AMG copy either. The Review should be no less then 100 words (as in, I like this album because it is good)

2. If this is beyond you, then remember you don't have to post here, go to the hangout or something.

Umm, so yeah I will start one tomorrow when I can pick a nice album to choose

Thanks

The Who - Tommy

I really like this rock opera - the songs flow well and tell the story perfectly. 'Pinball Wizard' is probably the high point of the album, but everything is good. The styles vary greatly with each song, and all of it is enjoyable.
    "If my doctor told me I had six minutes to live, I wouldn't brood. I'd type a little faster."
    -Isaac Asimov

Thanks
    EP Points

Eternal Tears of Sorrow - Before the Bleeding Sun

I found this album to be a very good one, I find with a lot of albums that I like to skip through a few tracks, but this is one that I can say I enjoy from beginning to end. I particularly enjoyed Tracks 5 and 6, Sakura No Rei and Sinister Rain respectively, the first being a very nice prelude to the second. I also enjoyed the mix of growly and clean vocals, and most of all some very impressive female vocals, mostly for track 6 again. In my opinion a very well crafted album, that deserves any praise put upon it

Thanks

Orange Goblin - Thieving From the House of God

One part doomy stoner metal, one part trashy hard rock, Orange Goblin bring exactly what you'd expect: Grooving tunes full of muddy guitars, thick bass a powerful "singer" belting out singalong odes to alcohol, defiance and the hard life. They aren't what you'd call a unique, or even innovative, band but they deliver on what they promise. And really, who cares about progression when you have such a solid slab of balls-out metal blasting through your speakers?

Personal highlights are Round up the Horses (with it's doom groove and relentless opening riff), You're not the One (an almost comedic song that puts Tenacious D to shame, in my mind) and Black Egg (The only track to feature female vocals, although anyone looking for Nightwish-esque operatics is clearly looking in the wrong place.). All the tracks are pretty damn listenable and memorable, but for many people I doubt this album has the staying power to be a classic.

Thanks
    EP Points

Porcupine Tree - Fear of a Blank Planet

Hearing the album made no patch on a live version that was played in entirity at Porcupine Tree's UK tour. A short album in terms of tracks but still has a mammoth 17:42 third track "Anesthetize", which I listen to a lot more then the other tracks on the album (a fav ) though to say that I'm not dissapointed by anything on this album, a lot heavier then some other stuff I'd like to say yet there are some really soft tracks on this album, such as "My Ashes". Overall this is a recommended album.

Porcupine Tree - Deadwing

I purchased this at the Wolverhampton gig because it was a signed copy (Yay!) and was happy with this, I had actually listened to this album before and didn't think too much of it, I don't know why, I suppose I needed to really listen to it, the first time round I was only listening to tracks like "Deadwing" and "Arriving somewhere but not here", which now looking back on it was a sin, as there are some masterpieces on this album, notably "Mellotron Scratch" if you haven't listened to this album, do it now :arnie:

Thanks

Rise Against - The Sufferer and the Witness

Melodic Hardcore and Punk Rock put together giving a nice album. Rise Against has been a personal favourite since I first heard them some time ago. There is a single slow, acoustic track called Roadside, which is as good as the rest.
    My favourite songs of the album are "Drones", "Injection", "Prayer of the Refugee", "Behind Closed Doors" and "Ready to Fall". If you've heard Rise Against before and liked them and haven't got this album, you should go get it now.Overall, an excellent album just like their previous one:

Rise Against - Siren Song of the Counter Culture

This album contains "Dancing for Rain", a song I've listened to a little too much. And also "Swing Life Away", an acoustic song, that doesn't seem out of place with the other songs. The other songs of the album are Hardcore Punk, and though they receive no special mention from me, they are excellent.

Quote Originally Posted by Saber
    Satan worshippers can go to hell.

Thanks
    EP Points

Faith No More - Angel Dust
    Perfection. What else can I say? Well, how about this: my only experience with Faith No More at the time was through Epic. I bought Angel Dust on a whim many years ago and have to admit that I wasn't exactly blown away by it at first. As an album it flowed well but there weren't really any standout tracks. A good CD, sure, but for me it didn't live up to its reputation. I bought a copy of The Real Thing which I enjoyed far more, and Angel Dust was very rarely taken out of its CD case. I listened to it every now and then, because hey, Caffeine and Jizzlobber were kind of cool, but it just didn't make an impact on me.

I can't pinpoint the exact moment it happened, but it wasn't until several months that I realised what an amazing album it really was. Not just the quality of the material but the production as well - you can clearly hear each and every individual instrument rather than just a massive wall of sound. For a rock/metal album, that to me is really cool. There are way too many albums from the last 20 years or so that just bury the bass beneath layers upon layers of distorted guitars. Not to so with Angel Dust. There's not a single bad track in there and so many musical styles are covered, from country to funk, from hardcore to death metal. They really were a band ahead of their time. I love it so much that I now own it on vinyl and casette tape too. In fact, if you held a gun to my head and demanded that I tell you my favourite band and album of all time, Faith No More and Angel Dust would be my respective answers. No hesitation needed. Go out, buy the album and love it.

Thanks

Lovage-Music To Make Love To Your Ol Lady By
    Very Funny intro track. While they are singing songs and remaking them at the same time making fun of the whole lovey dovey genre of music. Songs still sound good and have great Beats(especially to bump in a high quality sound system's and bass). There is no bad tracks and can be great for listening to relax. There's only one album and was started by Dan The Automator as a project.
    I'd Hit It