Thread: HOw to network my printer with a router?

Thanks

Default HOw to network my printer with a router?

Okay,

I have the linksys router that you always see (wrtg or some crap) and a lexmark x1100 series printer.

I have two computers in the house, and my (the main one with the router) has the printer. The printer is connected to my computer with USB right now, how can I make it so that the other computer can use this one? Do I need to pu tthe drivers on there? I don't get it, thanks in advance.

Thanks

first thing you have to do is share the printer

open up the printers and faxes folder, right click on the printer you want to share and go to sharing

click share this printer.... pick a name for it and its shared

to connect to it, on the computer you want to use it on go to add printer, hit network printer, or printer attached to another computer, next, hit connect to this printer: and put in \\{computername}\{printer share name}

so for example if i was sharing a printer called hp-printer off of a computer named pc01, it would be \\pc01\hp-printer

theres probably some other things that need to be done but this is about all i can tell u about it

Thanks

Almost there. When I type in the computer/printer name it says it can't be found or something, or possibley the names were typed wrong, which isn't the case. I'll keep trying to figure it out as well. Let me know if you know anything.

Thanks again.

I'm in ur head, raping ur cerebral cortex
    Thanks

I could be wrong, but don't the two computers need to be networked first?

Thanks

I believe it mentioned that and I did a quick little network wizard thing, is there a way how I can test if it worked or not?

I'm gonna guess the main problems I run into are with the other computer, like getting it to recognize the network.

Thanks

in network places somewhere go to entire network and c if u can c the other computer...

or get its ip address and ping it...

Thanks

Make sure both computers are in the same workgroup, i.e. MSGROUP, etc. You can right click My Computer and then go to properties to check. Also pull up the CMD prompt under accessories and type ipconfig. The type net view. You should see all the computers that are connected to the network. If you see both computers recognized on the network you can also ping each other with the ping command at the dos prompt. Do the printer configuration and share the printer on the network. Then go to the client computer you want to print on and use the add printer wizard and browse the network till you find the printer to add....hope this helps, good luck.

Thanks
    EP Points

Check the date of the last post when you reply. This one is pretty old.