Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: the meaning of life

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Lucxus View Post
    You've gone wrong...

You've gone wrong in the mind-tank.
    Well if ive gone wrong in the mind tank.., i must be DOOMED! Only time will tell.

Thanks

I take my previous statement back.

The meaning of life is C.R.E.A.M.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Harmony View Post
    Not at all. You shouldn't have to feel threatened simply for making your beliefs known. I generally do the same, anyway. I don't like conflict, so I usually just back down when it comes to arguments... Online I'm a little more willing to defend my beliefs, but even then I usually just end up feeling bad for bickering.

Anyway, I don't believe that there is any meaning to life. I don't believe in God (I don't disbelieve either, but that's another matter) nor an afterlife, so our lives are, in my eyes, nothing more than a sequence of fairly insignificant events culminating in a rather undignified return to the earth. Only the very exceptional (or very disgraceful) make a truly lasting mark upon the world, and, at 21, I'm far beyond being capable of being a Mozart, an Einstein, or a Plato. I know that three hundred years down the line, it is doubtful that anyone will remember me. Even if I have sons or daughters, in a few generations time, I'll be nothing more than a name on a family tree.

That being said, while I don't believe that there is a grandiose meaning to 'life' in general, I do believe that everyone can find a sense of purpose in something; that everyone can find a smaller, more personal 'meaning' that makes day to day life bearable. For some, it could be as innocent as getting married to a childhood sweetheart, and raising a family together. For others, it could be anything from faith and religion, to wild partying, illegal drugs, and carnal pleasures.

I think all that matters at the end of the day is that you live a happy life, and that you don't cause pain to those around you. If you are happy with who you are, and if that happiness isn't coming at the expense of the happiness of others, then that is, in my opinion, a perfectly valid reason to exist.

As for me personally... I have very simple goals in life. I don't really want to be rich or famous; I don't know what to do with even small amounts of money, and getting lots of attention just makes me nervous. I have little interest in sex, whether it be with the opposite gender or my own; all I've ever really wanted from those of either gender is friendship. And there is no doubt in my mind that I'd be a horrible parent, so I don't really want to raise a family.

I think my own 'meaning' is simply to strive for the happiness of those that I care about. Over the years, I've been lucky enough to meet some wonderful people... Even today, I'm surrounded by those who, whether they be teachers, friends, or family, have done, and continue to do their best to ensure that I am happy.

I know that I'm not really a very appealing person, for the most part. I'm socially awkward, emotionally unstable, and there's not a lot of things that I can do well. So, while I'm so grateful to everyone, there's...not really a lot that I can do for those around me in return. I know that I'll never quite be able to give back to others anywhere near as much as I have been given.

Still, if possible, I would like to do everything in my power to make the people that I care about happy. It probably sounds silly, but I'd really be so glad to just continue existing like this, alongside those that are important to me, doing my best every day to help in any way that I can. That's all that really matters to me... So long as I continue to be allowed to spend time with such lovely people, my life has plenty of meaning.
    i COMPLETELY agree with you....... and i dont think its silly at all

Thanks

Every sperm is sacred, every sperm is great. If a sperm is wasted, god gets quite irate...