Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Burning PS2 images.

Thanks

Default Burning PS2 images.

How would go about doing this? What programs do you need, what mode to burn in, common file types etc.
    I'm thinking of getting a chip in this thread.

Thanks
    EP Points

There's no real trick to it. Most of the PS2 games I've burned have been either MDS / MDF or ISO, both of which burn just fine with Alcohol 120 on default settings. Just make sure that you use good quality DVDRs, or your PS2 laser will more than likely meet a swift end. Oh, and burn at the slowest possible speed. But that's a given for any console...

EDIT: Oh, and there are some problems with a few games being dual-layer (Xenosaga Episode 1, God of War, Gran Turismo...probably a few others), but you can either downscale those yourself, search out a downscaled copy online, or, if you have a dual layer DVD burner, I'd assume that you can just burn 1-1 copies. x_X
    Last edited by Harmony; 2nd-February-2007 at 12:07.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,180 Times in 550 Posts
    EP Points

Make sure the chip you get can play PSX games too, the newer ones will do it for sure.

If you don't want to get a chip, the Swap Magic discs are a good option too to play backups. In order to use it you'll have to be able to use the swap method, which requires one od these 3: removing the front lid of the cd/dvd drive of your ps2 and a slide card (only for the original ps2), purchasing and installing a fliptop (for the original and slimline ps2) or purchasing and installing the Swap Keys/Switch (only for the slimline ps2).
    The only downside is that with this method you won't be able to run backups of games that comes in DVD9, as Ed said, you'll need to either dl a DVD5 rip or make it yourself.

When burning, the lowest speed your dvd burner can handle will help you making perfect copies without the sound or videos skipping when playing them on your PS2.

Here's a link to a tutorial on how to make your own copies and burn them:

http://www.epforums.org/copying-and-...745/index.html
    Last edited by Cookie Monster; 2nd-February-2007 at 12:18.

Thanks

I have read about people haveing trouble when copying God of War to a duel layer disc. The game will run up to a curtain point then will constantly try to load. There is software that can downscale this game to a single layer disc without removing any of the content. I would see that Sony added 2 copies of all the FMVs and that is why it is so large. There is a file on the second layer that is not viewable in explorer and only DVD Decrypter is able to detect the second layer.
    Haldrie's World
    (My official web site.)

My YouTube Channel

Thanks

I know that it's possible to make burned copies of PS2 Dual Layer games, but I personally don't think I would go to all the trouble to do it. If you think about it, there's only a handful of games released on DVD9's. Besides, the ones that are DVD9 are really good and worthy of purchasing anyway (MGS - Subsistence, Gran Turismo 4, God Of War, Rogue Galaxy). Dual Layer DVDs are freakin' expensive (Close to $10 for a 3-5 pack at some retail stores here) too. If your burns of these games are perfect copies, then more power to ya!

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by StormShadow View Post
    I know that it's possible to make burned copies of PS2 Dual Layer games, but I personally don't think I would go to all the trouble to do it. If you think about it, there's only a handful of games released on DVD9's. Besides, the ones that are DVD9 are really good and worthy of purchasing anyway (MGS - Subsistence, Gran Turismo 4, God Of War, Rogue Galaxy). Dual Layer DVDs are freakin' expensive (Close to $10 for a 3-5 pack at some retail stores here) too. If your burns of these games are perfect copies, then more power to ya!
    In my case, though, making a backup of Xenosaga Episode 1 was the only way to play it. I use Swap Magic to boot games, making DVD9 unusable, and the game wasn't available in PAL territories, so despite owning a legit copy of it, I still couldn't boot it. =P While I'd agree that it's a bit of trouble to make a DVD5 backup of a DVD9 game, it's a great deal less trouble than buying an NTSC-U console.

Thanks
    EP Points

The problems with god of war can be fixed with some coding, also the reason that game has mirror of the files in disc it is because it´s a dvd9, works like that (Udf stuff), you can easily switch layers with Apache and see it´s content.

There is a fixed copy of god of war over the net, someone made the fix without releasing the patch, only the fixed iso.

The best option and cheapest of playing dvd9 isos is installing hdloader in your console

Thanks

I use Sony DVD+R's.

Will that media put any unnecessary stress on my PS2 lens?

Thanks
    EP Points

Sony is generally a good media. Sony DVD+Rs on a Sony console, shouldn't be going wrong there
    But like, check the dye and shit with Alcohol120%'s disc scanner, make sure they're a good die, etc.

Thanks

Thanks for the reply.

I normally back up using Imation and play using Sony.

Problem is, I burned Alpha 3 using a Sony and I've been hearing some odd noises from my PS2, like multiple clicks.

Not sure if it's the image, my PS2 or the disc (bad burn or too fast using 4x speed).

The noises usually occur when the game loads initially or at the load screen of each new mission.

Don't have this problem with other games (original and burned) though.
    Last edited by timp; 6th-February-2007 at 02:49.

Mikey_ Guest

timp, try and use the Edit button near the bottom right side of your posts. Try not to double post.

Thanks

There is also a fixed copy of Wild Arms Alter Code F out there now might've been around fo eva.. but I just found it.. I think there might be one of rogue galaxy too.. I can't remember what it said.

http://www.cdr-zone.com/articles/rec...ty_page_1.html
    There is a good page about the best media to use..
    My ps2 doesn't read Maxell disks any more and it struggles on actual PS2 discs.. I might have to try one of the crazier ones.. Hm.. any opinions?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,180 Times in 550 Posts
    EP Points

The DVD5 rip of Rogue Galaxy released some days ago hangs at some point.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Cookie Monster View Post
    The DVD5 rip of Rogue Galaxy released some days ago hangs at some point.
    Because the person who made this iso only managed to rip the 1st layer. It's DVD9 you see.

Thanks
    EP Points

Surely DVD9 PS2 games can be split into to DVD5's.
    Rallisport challenge 2 for Xbox is a huge ass ISO, 7GB or so uncompressed. This game was split into 2 DVD5's.
    I don't see why if the laser of the PC DVDROM's can read the discs, both layers. I can't see why they're not do-able. IE two disc dvd5's.