Thread: mm silent hill wont work

Thanks

Unhappy mm silent hill wont work

alright so I downloaded silent hill from emuparadise, took about 30 minutes for each of the 6 or 7 .rar files . But anyways, after alllll that it shows some kind of error when I try to extract it...

Error
    c:/documents and settings blah blah, silent_hill.iso
    The archive is either in unknown format or damaged

I don't have to download it all over again do I? T_T

ps - for the swap cd trick on ps, after I burn silent hill to a cd which I hope isn't too hard, do I keep the tape on the sensor permanently?

Thanks

In reply about the archive:
    Did you make sure you got all the files?

[EDIT]
    Also are you using the latest version of WinRAR to extract the file(s).
    [END EDIT]

In reply about the swap trick:
    You will need to keep the button held down during the entire time you are playing the game. If you at any time this button is depressed then the Playstation will know that the CD door is opened and will stop reading the disc. Once you repress the button it will the reverify that the CD is a real Playstation disc or a copy.
    Haldrie's World
    (My official web site.)

My YouTube Channel

Thanks

well its not a winrar problem, I was able to open Harvest Moon. Is the last file for Silent Hill smaller than the other ones? I'm redownloading it right now to make sure I d/l it completely.

I know theres a sticky on using daemon tools and clonecd but isn't just burning through alcohol 120 so much easier/faster?

ps- im a complete noob at psx emulation i'm sure its pretty obvious T_T
    Last edited by shucks; 22nd-January-2007 at 04:50.

Inside of a Final Fantasy NES cartridge...
    Thanks
    EP Points

Open WinRar > go to Options > Settings > Integration > Uncheck ISO > OK.

Now put all the rar parts that you downloaded in the same folder, right-click on any part and choose Extract here.

Let us know if you still get an error message.

Thanks

sweet it worked thanks!

ps - ive burned harvest moon back to nature onto cd using alcohol 120% as shown in polobunny's guide Anyways, it doesnt work on my ps using the swap trick. Either because i burned it wrong, although i followed the guide, or im doing the trick wrong.

the swap trick is fine until when I put the original playstation cd back in, the screen stays on the playstation loading screen where it made the sparkle intro sound and the cd just spins at the same speed it doesnt speed or slow down whether i switch cds again or not.

if its possible could someone reupload the video for swapping? I saw it in a thread somewhere but the link was broken
    Last edited by shucks; 22nd-January-2007 at 15:15.

Thanks
    EP Points

You're best off using the CHEATCD swap trick. Apparently the method you tried only works on REALLY old Playstations. CheatCD Method works with any sorta PSX, you basically put the disc in hit "start game", you put your original in, it will spin once slow, then fast, slow, when it's on the last fast cycle quickly swap the disc over with your copy and voila. You're playing a copied PSX game on an unmodded Playstation.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by shucks View Post
    ps - ive burned harvest moon back to nature onto cd using alcohol 120% as shown in polobunny's guide Anyways, it doesnt work on my ps using the swap trick. Either because i burned it wrong, although i followed the guide, or im doing the trick wrong.

the swap trick is fine until when I put the original playstation cd back in, the screen stays on the playstation loading screen where it made the sparkle intro sound and the cd just spins at the same speed it doesnt speed or slow down whether i switch cds again or not.

if its possible could someone reupload the video for swapping? I saw it in a thread somewhere but the link was broken
    If all else fails you could try to run the ePSXe emulator on your computer. It's an option b/c you don't have to play PSX games on real PSX after all.:eyeball:

Thanks
    EP Points

Yeh. Or if you're not up to the amount of configuring, then you could go with PSXFin, which only needs a BIOS and you're off.

Thanks

thanks fallen and ktiger ^^

but my ps1 is a really old ps1 its the original and i bought it when it was still like $200. I barely played it though so its like brand new. I took it out again because my brother took the ps2 to college T_T. Yea i hope it breaks on him

Anyways whats this cheatcd thing? i hope its not the one you have to buy...cause then i might as well get modchip. I wish i could just use this swap trick I saw someone do it on youtube.

oh and my last resort is use a emulator but...that ruins the whole fun of playing burned cds on playstation..I wanted to play silent hill cause its so expensive to buy the real cd now

edit- to make things worse, after i burned silent hill to a cd i deleted the iso, I still have the cue and bin...i dont have to redownload it do I...if i want to use it on epsxe
    Last edited by shucks; 23rd-January-2007 at 01:52.

Thanks
    EP Points

oh and my last resort is use a emulator but...that ruins the whole fun of playing burned cds on playstation..I wanted to play silent hill cause its so expensive to buy the real cd now
    I beg to differ, Same experience, just don't use save states if you like to redo levels from the beginning when you die. (Personally I think redoing levels is a waste of time) You can also still save to memory cards and all that. It also saves wear and tear on your now vintage PSX.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FallenxAstaroth View Post
    You're best off using the CHEATCD swap trick. Apparently the method you tried only works on REALLY old Playstations. CheatCD Method works with any sorta PSX, you basically put the disc in hit "start game", you put your original in, it will spin once slow, then fast, slow, when it's on the last fast cycle quickly swap the disc over with your copy and voila. You're playing a copied PSX game on an unmodded Playstation.
    I've used a similar swap method using a Gameshark and Codebreaker CD and I never have to worry about waiting for it to slow down and crap I just swap it after it hits the menu of either cheat disc when I know it will never read the disc again and at any point after that I swap for the copy. Works every time and I don't run the risk of scratching the discs from swaping 2 or 3 times before the game starts.
    Haldrie's World
    (My official web site.)

My YouTube Channel

Thanks
    EP Points

^That sounds promising, Haldrie... you just swap the discs after the cheat menu loads, and go? Hm, I oughta try that. I *think* I have a Codebreaker CD somewhere around here...
    As I was walking down the stair,
    I met a man who wasn't there.
    He wasn't there again today.
    I wish, I wish he'd go away.

Inside of a Final Fantasy NES cartridge...
    Thanks
    EP Points

edit- to make things worse, after i burned silent hill to a cd i deleted the iso, I still have the cue and bin...i dont have to redownload it do I...if i want to use it on epsxe
    The cue and bin files are the ISO.
    You must have deleted the rar files.

So, yes, you can still play Silent Hill as long as you don't delete the bin or cue.

Actually, you only need the bin, but you should still keep the cue because you will need it if you decide to burn the game to CD, or want to mount the game to a virtual drive like Daemon Tools or Alcohol.

Thanks
    EP Points

^- You have to keep the CUE if the image has cdda tracks embedded in the BIN, if not you won't get them when you're burning it.
    If the cue doesn't then just rename the .BIN to .ISO, then you won't be bothered about the mode/tracks, etc.

Thanks

UPDATE - WOOT I GOT IT TO WORK! alright so basically i was supposed to switch cds a little faster, apparently i waited to long. Playing silent hill right now! ^^

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _____
    I looked into psx emulators.....and the setting up configuration looks pretty annoying...I tried 3 different emulators and I havent successfully configured any...maybe I'm just stupid lawl.

Oh the emulators I've tried: Connectix Virtual Gamestation (CVGS), PSEMUPro, EPSXE. Problems: PSEMUPro says I need a pentium 2 or higher...duno is my computer that bad.., EPSXE, the configuration stuff I fell asleep trying to do it, cvgs, uh I forgot why it didn't work I think it was missing some file (not the bios I d/l that)
    Last edited by shucks; 25th-January-2007 at 00:25.