Page 19 of 103 FirstFirst ... 914151617181920212223242969 ... LastLast

Thread: The all encompassing "Suggest a game!" thread.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Raype View Post
    Star Ocean is probably more stomachable if you haven't played the previous ones. Also if you don't happen to have high standards about your RPGs. But in a toss up, I'd probably recommend Eternal Sonata long, long before Star Ocean for numerous reasons. But then again, I'm rather down on SO4 and was a bit of a star ocean fan. I also like it when an RPG doesn't try leeching off the stuff that came before it. So that could just be the bile talking.

3D Dot Game Heroes is good, aside from the fact it's a BLATANT 2D Zelda clone with a shitload of classic gaming references. Although I have a copy myself that's been collecting dust after I cleared a dungeon or two, so take that for whatever that means.

I have an incredibly hard time recommending Disgaea to anyone. There's very little strategy in that strategy RPG. And the bulk of the game requires excessive grinding and stat maintenance. The series takes the crap part of an RPG and attempts to make it a major part if it's gameplay.

There is more to Valkyria than the alternate history setting. There's also a fantasy styled backstory. The setting is pretty much a fantasy world that moved ahead in time and somehow created a situation very similar to WWII. If you can get past the Darcsens=Jewsand their occasional attempts to remind you that THIS IS ABOUT WORLD WAR TWO it's a decent war story featuring some pretty memorable characters. It also features a gameplay style that I highly enjoyed, so there's that too. The game may be horribly broken, but there's something strangely satisfying about shooting someone in the face from a mile away, then blowing up all their tanks before finally sending in a scout to capture their base.

And as someone who played Drakengard you should consider Nier. While it's rather...adult and trying a bit too hard at being so, it's also a damn fine game. The development team speaks for itself.
    I was previously under the impression that I had played a couple of Star Ocean games, but then I realized that I was mistaking Star Ocean for Phantasy Star. I know next to nothing about Star Ocean, and I haven't really done much research into the series yet. From the very brief video I watched on The Last Hope, it seemed interesting, but it's not something I'm going to rush out and buy if I can only pick up one or two titles. And as you would be much more eager to recommend Eternal Sonata over Star Ocean, I would be much more excited to pick it up.

I've watched a little bit more about 3D Dot Game Heroes, and I probably think it's charming simply because it's a blatant 2D Zelda clone. The graphics and music are cute, and it seems like something I could sit down and enjoy for varying periods of time, depending on what's going on with school at any given moment. It's too bad I'm not Prude, or I would totally persuade you to send me your dusty, unloved copy.

I never got very far into Disgaea, and I eventually stopped playing it to get into some other things like Eternal Poison instead. It never really grabbed my attention but, like I said, if I ever want to give it another chance I'll go for the game(s) on the PS2.

From what I've seen, I think Valkyria Chronicles certainly has its merits. It merely suffers from being a little further back in the line of games that I'm more excited about/interested in. I'm sure I'll pick it up someday, but like Star Ocean, it's not the game I want to buy in the event that my funds are rather limited.

Looking a bit further into Nier (did somebody mention Drakengard? ), it seems significantly more interesting than I had originally thought. Also, I noticed that Grimoire Weiss shares his voice with Lezard Valeth, and that's just cool. I can forgive a bit of the profanity and such if it's coming from Lezard. And it's not that I'm particularly opposed to profanity, it's just that it kind of prevents me from feeling immersed in anything outside of a trashy, dirty Grand Theft Auto experience.

I had originally noted that I was planning to do a bit more research on the recommendations so far, even if I didn't find them terribly intriguing. This, however, is one of the points that got lost with my original post.

Edit: Oh, and I finally got to play the Uncharted 2 demo. Although I was absolutely terrible at the shooting portions and getting the camera and controls to feel just right, I had fun with jumping around on signs, climbing up on destroyed buildings, etc. in a Prince of Persia-esque style of gameplay. It was really short, so I'm not exactly sure how I feel about playing an entire game like that, but I'd be willing to pick it up sometime in the future.
    Last edited by Milady; 23rd-January-2011 at 05:31.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by MondayHopscotch View Post
    3d dot game heroes is entertaining and on the cheaper side of things
    Quote Originally Posted by Chocobolicious View Post
    I see 'PS3' and I see no mention of 3D Dot Game Heroes. This saddens me. Terribly so, in fact.
    you just didnt look very hard?

Thanks

Nier is based in the same world as Drakengard, technically, its based after the Drakengard E ending where he ends up in NYC(?). Good times by all.

Also, the true ending is so epically awesome and gives you an actually difficult choice, for that alone, I give the game praise.

Also, again, in relation to the profanity: Really, I'd say its more just Kaine than profanity. ha ha ha... Oh Kaine. Weiss' dialogue is entirely worth the entire game, though.

Oh, and, I was talking about the list Milady posted of planned games. Arkham Asylum and all of that. Yet not something as fun as 3D Dot Game Heroes. The sheer number of references in that game is like a game unto itself. Find em all! Like Pokemanz.
    Last edited by Chocobolicious; 23rd-January-2011 at 10:48.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Chocobolicious View Post
    Oh, and, I was talking about the list Milady posted of planned games. Arkham Asylum and all of that. Yet not something as fun as 3D Dot Game Heroes. The sheer number of references in that game is like a game unto itself. Find em all! Like Pokemanz.
    Then still you didn't read very carefully. Arkham Asylum was not in a list of games I planned to buy, it is a game I already own.

Also, if the Drakengard ending you're referencing is the one that only occurs after collecting every single weapon, then I never saw it.
    Last edited by Milady; 23rd-January-2011 at 18:02.

Thanks

Anyone tried Amnesia: The Dark Descent? Really good game, scary, but fun! recommended

Currently playing:

GoldenEye 007 on Nintendo Wii
    Call of Duty: Black Ops on Xbox 360
    Amnesia: The Dark Descent on PC

Thanks
    EP Points

Amnesia's pretty awesome. I keep telling people to play it, but no one listens.

Thanks
    EP Points

Is that the one you/someone posted a video about with the player screaming and whimpering like a small child? If so, I thought it looked interesting, but my lack of a decent gaming computer results in my PC backlog taking much, much longer to get through than my backlogs for other consoles.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Gare View Post
    Amnesia's pretty awesome. I keep telling people to play it, but no one listens.

haha, I have done that too But they should play it!
    Last edited by Jpad; 23rd-January-2011 at 18:30.

Currently playing:

Thanks
    EP Points

Amnesia might be a new game, but its engine isn't especially hardware-demanding. Well, unless your PC is really, really old. There's a demo, though, so you can always give it a shot and see for yourself.

And yeah, I was the one who posted that vid.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Gare View Post
    Amnesia might be a new game, but its engine isn't especially hardware-demanding.
    I really like that it's looking old. since it makes the game more scary, I think. It looks old, it's in a big scary castle, etc. I enjoy it that way

Currently playing:

Thanks

I completely forgot about Valkyria Chronicles. I knew some people that hated the game, some that adore it. I personally think it's amazing. If you were to pick up an RPG today, I would recommend that one over all others.

But that being said, it's a tactical RPG. Some people hate them, some love them. But don't think that you would hate it if you dislike tactical RPGs, I really didn't like them either (in fact, I still hate FF Tactics). It's not gird-based, but it is heavily turn-based. There's basically 2 rounds in a turn, and you can pick individual units based on how much CP you have and move them in a limited fashion and attack once. It combines units on a map, to real-time interaction with the environment, to a attack/counterattack system. By the time the game introduces environment hazards, it gets pretty confusing about how you manage your units and etc. The units themselves are not generic gunmen, you can grow bonds with them and they each share a past of why they went into battle. The more you become friends with them, the better you work together. So only about 10 units are in a battle at once on one side (at least, for you. The enemy could have 10 times the number of units you have). It also introduces a leveling system that makes each unit pretty even. Instead of individual levels, you level up classes of units. So shocktrooper A and shocktrooper B will be the same level, no matter what. Each character can individually graduate into a more powerful and sophisticated ranking, but they would still be in the same class.

It's an interesting game with pretty good gameplay and character development, take it for what it's worth.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Milady View Post
    Then still you didn't read very carefully. Arkham Asylum was not in a list of games I planned to buy, it is a game I already own.

Also, if the Drakengard ending you're referencing is the one that only occurs after collecting every single weapon, then I never saw it.
    Or I continue to reply by what I vaguely remember instead of going back and rereading previous pages. Mhmm. Guess I dont perfectly remember forum posts. How shall I ever live my life, with such shame? weep.

Yes, also, its the ending you get after getting all the weapons. Speaking of which, I need to go play more Drakengard 2, never unlocked everything in that.

also, for anyone who hasnt played it yet: ARES is a fun little PC game. Admittedly I'm not compulsively running around and farming enemies for upgrade materials but thats just my own OCD kicking in, its great even if just played as a simple run n gun Metal Slug type deal.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Milady View Post
    I was previously under the impression that I had played a couple of Star Ocean games, but then I realized that I was mistaking Star Ocean for Phantasy Star. I know next to nothing about Star Ocean, and I haven't really done much research into the series yet. From the very brief video I watched on The Last Hope, it seemed interesting, but it's not something I'm going to rush out and buy if I can only pick up one or two titles. And as you would be much more eager to recommend Eternal Sonata over Star Ocean, I would be much more excited to pick it up.

I've watched a little bit more about 3D Dot Game Heroes, and I probably think it's charming simply because it's a blatant 2D Zelda clone. The graphics and music are cute, and it seems like something I could sit down and enjoy for varying periods of time, depending on what's going on with school at any given moment. It's too bad I'm not Prude, or I would totally persuade you to send me your dusty, unloved copy.
    Star Ocean can best be summarized as "Star Trek if it were a JRPG". The analogy gets extremely blatant in some entries. Decent focus on item crafting and a real time battle system that's generally good. SO4 opts to retcon a decent amount of story, fuck around with other bits, and generally do a worse job of everything than the ones before it, without really adding anything aside from a cast I want to murder most violently. Oh, and the voice acting. Dear god, the voice acting.

It's going to get some love at some point, but it failed to really grab me the way other games had. As such, it was all too easy to shelf it and get absorbed in another game. I enjoyed the bits I played, but I wasn't quite so enthralled as to want to continue on right then and there. I'll likely pull it out on a slow afternoon in a couple months when I'm bored and looking for something different to play. It seems to be that kind of game.

Thanks

I dont even know if I could consider SO4 'that' kind of game. It's playable, but it'd be far better served as a game not in the Star Ocean series. I guess I'm just showing my age, in that I still vastly prefer the first and second games. The PSP rereleases were spectacular games and fully worth playing through even though I've played through the originals multiple times. The third one is still really iffy in my book, I kind of like the story in the end, as it gives a really intersting concept of how the world works, but I didnt so much like a lot of other parts of it.

The fourth one just... peh. Least the PS3 one is a step up from the 360 version. (One would hope so, it came out a year or so later.) but it still feels really dicey. Even the combat just didn't feel as... fun as it should have. I daresay Magna Carta 2 did it better, this time around. (Which is unrelated, since MC2 is 360 exclusive. But the combat is similar so feh.)

Since this is a suggestion thread though! Yakuza 3 is more fun than I'd expected. I heard a lot of flak about it but I'm starting to think it was just butthurt fanboys. It's actually rather enjoyable so far. (I'm a pretty big fan of the series myself, but I'm not going to get all weeaboo if they cut out parts of the game for whatever reason.)

Thanks

any suggestions on a ps3 exclusive rpg that isn't completely garbage?

edit: since there seems to be a discussion going on about SO4 I wanted to put in my opinion.

SO4 was the first SO game I beat, the only other games I played from the series where SO1 &2 on the psp but imo they really showed their age and I could not get into them.

so when I went into SO4 my expectations where low tbh, and yet somehow SO4 still managed to disappoint me. VAs where horrid, the main character was a whiny little **** for most of the game, dialogue was horrid, plot was sub par, and battle system was only mildly entertaining. oh and supporting characters where as cliche as they come,

So my verdict is, I wouldn't recommend this game to anyone really.
    Last edited by Djinn_690; 24th-January-2011 at 00:09.