Page 18 of 103 FirstFirst ... 813141516171819202122232868 ... LastLast

Thread: The all encompassing "Suggest a game!" thread.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Spose View Post
    I just got an adapter to allow me to use my ps2 controller on my computer and i want to know some ps1 must plays i might have missed! any suggestions. Also i prefer English games as i can't read Japanese.
    My biggest recommendation would have to be Lunar: Sliver Star Story Complete. To this day, it's still near the top of my list of Best Games Ever. The sequel, Eternal Blue, is excellent too. For platformers, I'd recommend the Rayman series, Pac-Man World, The Adventures of Lomax and Gex 3: Deep Cover Gecko. Alundra is also awesome in a very Zelda-like way.
    Last edited by Retroguy; 21st-January-2011 at 17:17.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,055 Times in 323 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Pepsi-Man for PlayStation.

I Have a version for PSP uploaded.

Lulz ensured

Thanks
    EP Points

Please make some PS3 suggestions for me. I've been saying for a couple of weeks now that I might have an opportunity to pick up some games, and it keeps getting pushed back. Then I forget what I had previously discussed and it gets lost in the depths of the hangout. I'm hoping that, by posting here, the responses will be a little more permanent and possibly include those from members who would not have responded in the hangout.

I currently have: Batman: Arkham Asylum, Demon's Souls, Dragon Age: Origins, Final Fantasy XIII, God of War III, Katamari Forever, LittleBigPlanet, Resident Evil 5

Generally, my preferred genre is role playing, but with school starting up a bit of variety is ideal. I adore long, engaging games, but I also value the ability to pick up a game and play it for just 30 or 40 minutes whilst I take a break from my studies. I'm not particularly fond of shooters or fighters, but I've been considering Bioshock and BlazBlue. Also among the games I've considered recently is Assassin's Creed II. My funds are somewhat limited (at least until my next gush of refunded financial aid in March), so I won't be picking up any new releases. I live with my boyfriend, but he's not terribly interested in gaming, so I would prefer titles that do not rely on their multi-player aspect to be enjoyable.

At the moment, I can't think of any more information that might be useful, but feel free to ask.
    Last edited by Milady; 22nd-January-2011 at 00:44.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,180 Times in 550 Posts
    EP Points

I'll have to give this a deeper thought, but out of the titles you've mentioned, AC II is a very enjoyable game, better than the first one in every aspect (you don't really need to play it to enjoy this one) and shouldn't be too expensive.
    Also, out of curiosity, if you have the chance, give the Uncharted 2 demo a try if you can and let me know what you think about it.

Thanks

Get Star Ocean: The Last Hope. Action RPGs at their finest, the only downside is sometimes the cutscenes can be a little awkward.

EDIT: And it's only about $25 now.

Thanks
    EP Points

3d dot game heroes is entertaining and on the cheaper side of things

I also agree with cookie about uncharted 2

Edit:

also, my buddy has put stupid hours into the Disgaea games. I myself am not sure what they are like being as i've only watched about 30 minutes of it being played, but it definitely fits your RPG tendencies.
    Last edited by MondayHopscotch; 22nd-January-2011 at 02:45.

Thanks

Milady~ If you're into strategy RPGs (and I'm guessing you are, judging by your avatar?), I'd say Valkyria Chronicles is a must-play. It's nothing like FFT, but the storyline is well-written and the artwork is simply beautiful. One of its most unique aspects is the battle system. The only thing I didn't like about it was the fact that most battles wouldn't give you enough info beforehand, which means that you'd probably have to retry them more than once, especially if you're a perfectionist...

If you like Action RPGs, you should consider Nier. Did you like Demon's Souls? It's not really the same, but I do think it's the kind of game a Demon's Souls fan would be able to get into. I was surprised to see the low rating it got on GameSpot (5/10) -- it reminded me why I don't trust their reviews. Despite the repetitive nature of some of its side-quests, I found it a lot more solid and enjoyable than the painfully linear FFXIII (which incidentally got a 8.5 there). This game has some of the most beautiful music I've heard in a while. However, the storyline is depressing, really, so it's probably not the sort of thing you'd want to play if you're just looking to relax.

Also worth mentioning:
    -Resonance of Fate, a tri-Ace game. Not sure if I should recommend it, because, well, it's very different. My main gripe with it was the EXTREMELY drab dungeons and the rather abrupt endings of chapters. Still, a decent game.
    -Star Ocean, another tri-Ace game. Personally, I didn't find it as engaging as its predecessors, but as someone else suggested, it's definitely worth looking into.
    -Eternal Sonata, a tri-Crescendo creation. Perhaps mediocre, but charming. A lot more lighthearted than the others.

Last, but not least, there's Dead Space, a survival horror game and one of the best I've seen of its genre. I'm not fond of third-person shooters either, so I didn't play it myself but instead watched most of it being played. If you could tolerate games like Resident Evil, you shouldn't have any problem playing this one.

As an RPG fan and an old-schooler, there frankly haven't been many PS3 games that I enjoyed enough to recommend, but these are the gems I have found.
    Last edited by Paledoll; 22nd-January-2011 at 05:47.

Thanks
    EP Points

I don't remember her playing FFT. I think she just likes white mages.

I can only help with multiplatform stuff, but I'll try to chime in, anyway. DMC4 is also on PS3, no? Good stuff, despite its flaws.

PS3 port of Mass Effect 2, gogogo.

Chronicles of Riddick: Assault on Dark Athena is a 2-in-1 pack of the original game and the expansion. Really good action/stealth/adventure kind of game, though the expansion focuses a bit more on combat. Also, Vin Diesel. And his godly voice.

Dead Space is okay, though calling it one of the best in the genre is somewhat of a stretch. The novelty wears off after the first few chapters. Something to keep in mind.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Milady View Post
    Please make some PS3 suggestions for me. I've been saying for a couple of weeks now that I might have an opportunity to pick up some games, and it keeps getting pushed back. Then I forget what I had previously discussed and it gets lost in the depths of the hangout. I'm hoping that, by posting here, the responses will be a little more permanent and possibly include those from members who would not have responded in the hangout.

I currently have: Batman: Arkham Asylum, Demon's Souls, Dragon Age: Origins, Final Fantasy XIII, God of War III, Katamari Forever, LittleBigPlanet, Resident Evil 5

Generally, my preferred genre is role playing, but with school starting up a bit of variety is ideal. I adore long, engaging games, but I also value the ability to pick up a game and play it for just 30 or 40 minutes whilst I take a break from my studies. I'm not particularly fond of shooters or fighters, but I've been considering Bioshock and BlazBlue. Also among the games I've considered recently is Assassin's Creed II. My funds are somewhat limited (at least until my next gush of refunded financial aid in March), so I won't be picking up any new releases. I live with my boyfriend, but he's not terribly interested in gaming, so I would prefer titles that do not rely on their multi-player aspect to be enjoyable.

At the moment, I can't think of any more information that might be useful, but feel free to ask.
    So, I look at the list here and I look at what people suggest and I am aghast.

I see 'PS3' and I see no mention of 3D Dot Game Heroes. This saddens me. Terribly so, in fact.

Also, for all its flaws, Nier is incredibly engaging and the story/characters are really well done.

Also, because it has to be said: Atelier Rorona. She's adorable.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Gare
    I don't remember her playing FFT.
    Why!? Oh, I'll keep my bias to myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Gare
    Dead Space is okay, though calling it one of the best in the genre is somewhat of a stretch. The novelty wears off after the first few chapters. Something to keep in mind.
    I suppose it's a matter of opinion, and that was my opinion as a spectator (which probably makes a lot of difference). I liked the plot and the whole baleful atmosphere. To me, it was more original than Resident Evil 5 and Silent Hill: Homecoming.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Paledoll View Post
    Why!? Oh, I'll keep my bias to myself.

I suppose it's a matter of opinion, and that was my opinion as a spectator (which probably makes a lot of difference). I liked the plot and the whole baleful atmosphere. To me, it was more original than Resident Evil 5 and Silent Hill: Homecoming.
    Yet no where near as good as House of the Dead: Overkill

Thanks
    EP Points

I had an incredibly lovely, wall of text post to submit in response to the recommendations that have been made thus far, when I opened a new tab to run a search on EP and somehow ruined my previous tab in the process, losing all that I had written. I haven't the willpower to re-create the entire post, so to summarize:

-Star Ocean: The Last Hope International looks interesting and is actually only 17.99 on the Gamestop website. I've never played a Star Ocean title, to be honest.

-3D Dot Game Heroes looks super charming. After reading the title and knowing nothing else about it, I was rather put off. I found a quick video review, however, that changed my mind. It's 27.99 used, which isn't bad, but might result in my putting off its purchase for another time if I find a handful of cheaper games that I'm more enthusiastic about. I don't go out to pick up new games very often, so I'm almost always willing to pick up one or two more others and wait a little longer for that one, more expensive, game.

-I actually do enjoy tactical RPGs, including Final Fantasy tactics. However, my interest in the genre suffered when I went on a downloading spree for the PS2 that really caused me to altogether abandon video games for a period of time. Disgaea is one of the games I downloaded, and so I should probably play through that before I go out buying any new versions or installments.

-As for Valkyria Chronicles, I've considered picking it up in the past, but I'm not terribly enthused about the whole alternate WWII thing. I'm aware there's probably much more to the game than that, but aesthetically speaking, it's just not causing me enough excitement to want to pick it up now rather than later.

-Resonance of Fate seems like it might bore me to death.

-I can't make up my mind whether or not Nier sounds interesting, but I'm not terribly fond of having my games filled with profanity and such. Most likely, I'll overlook this one.

-Eternal Sonata looks incredibly charming, and if I'm not mistaken, I've heard Elin mention it once or twice. The only thing that would prevent me from picking it up is it's price tag, which is identical to 3D Dot Game Heroes. It's really not an expensive game, but when I'm looking at a handful of other games that are cheaper, I'm more inclined to put the extra 10 dollars toward something else.

-Dead Space sounded interesting, but I've been dissuaded from picking it up by opinions from members like Gare and Ray that it's really just an "okay" game. I apologize to those members with whom I don't spend a great deal of time speaking, but I've got a general idea of the tastes of some of the regulars, and I have a level of trust for their opinions that's developed from multiple conversations with them.

-I'd completely forgotten about DMC4. It's one of the games I first looked into when I was buying my PS3, but it got overshadowed by other games that I was much more excited about. Thanks for reminding me about it, Gare!

-Mass Effect 2 is something I'd like to get but, er, its "new" port is 60 bucks on the PS3. I think I'll wait a little bit for that one.

-I don't know anything about Riddick aside from what I just learned in about four minutes of a video review, but the game itself looks pretty neat.

-I've never really been able to get into any of the Atelier games, adorable or not.

I wish the PSN had more demos to try, but the Uncharted 2 download is currently in progress. I'll let you know, Cookie, what I think once it's finally finished. And if anyone has any more recommendations, please share them.
    Last edited by Milady; 22nd-January-2011 at 21:19.

Thanks

Hey everyone, I'm looking for some underrated Wii games.

I'll say what I have so far; Super Mario Galaxy I & II, New Super Mario Bros., Zelda Twilight Princess, SSBB, Kirby (forget title, with the yarn..) Fire Emblem, Monster Hunter Tri, Goldeneye Wii, and Donkey Kong.

I'd like some RPGs, but I'm open to anything that was overlooked or underrated in your opinions. I like the Wii, but I just wish I could find a bit more decent games to play.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Milady View Post
    I had an incredibly lovely, wall of text post to submit in response to the recommendations that have been made thus far, when I opened a new tab to run a search on EP and somehow ruined my previous tab in the process, losing all that I had written. I haven't the willpower to re-create the entire post, so to summarize:

-Star Ocean: The Last Hope International looks interesting and is actually only 17.99 on the Gamestop website. I've never played a Star Ocean title, to be honest.

-3D Dot Game Heroes looks super charming. After reading the title and knowing nothing else about it, I was rather put off. I found a quick video review, however, that changed my mind. It's 27.99 used, which isn't bad, but might result in my putting off its purchase for another time if I find a handful of cheaper games that I'm more enthusiastic about. I don't go out to pick up new games very often, so I'm almost always willing to pick up one or two more others and wait a little longer for that one, more expensive, game.

-I actually do enjoy tactical RPGs, including Final Fantasy tactics. However, my interest in the genre suffered when I went on a downloading spree for the PS2 that really caused me to altogether abandon video games for a period of time. Disgaea is one of the games I downloaded, and so I should probably play through that before I go out buying any new versions or installments.

-As for Valkyria Chronicles, I've considered picking it up in the past, but I'm not terribly enthused about the whole alternate WWII thing. I'm aware there's probably much more to the game than that, but aesthetically speaking, it's just not causing me enough excitement to want to pick it up now rather than later.

-Resonance of Fate seems like it might bore me to death.

-I can't make up my mind whether or not Nier sounds interesting, but I'm not terribly fond of having my games filled with profanity and such. Most likely, I'll overlook this one.

-Eternal Sonata looks incredibly charming, and if I'm not mistaken, I've heard Elin mention it once or twice. The only thing that would prevent me from picking it up is it's price tag, which is identical to 3D Dot Game Heroes. It's really not an expensive game, but when I'm looking at a handful of other games that are cheaper, I'm more inclined to put the extra 10 dollars toward something else.

-Dead Space sounded interesting, but I've been dissuaded from picking it up by opinions from members like Gare and Ray that it's really just an "okay" game. I apologize to those members with whom I don't spend a great deal of time speaking, but I've got a general idea of the tastes of some of the regulars, and I have a level of trust for their opinions that's developed from multiple conversations with them.

-I'd completely forgotten about DMC4. It's one of the games I first looked into when I was buying my PS3, but it got overshadowed by other games that I was much more excited about. Thanks for reminding me about it, Gare!

-Mass Effect 2 is something I'd like to get but, er, its "new" port is 60 bucks on the PS3. I think I'll wait a little bit for that one.

-I don't know anything about Riddick aside from what I just learned in about four minutes of a video review, but the game itself looks pretty neat.

-I've never really been able to get into any of the Atelier games, adorable or not.

I wish the PSN had more demos to try, but the Uncharted 2 download is currently in progress. I'll let you know, Cookie, what I think once it's finally finished. And if anyone has any more recommendations, please share them.
    Star Ocean is probably more stomachable if you haven't played the previous ones. Also if you don't happen to have high standards about your RPGs. But in a toss up, I'd probably recommend Eternal Sonata long, long before Star Ocean for numerous reasons. But then again, I'm rather down on SO4 and was a bit of a star ocean fan. I also like it when an RPG doesn't try leeching off the stuff that came before it. So that could just be the bile talking.

3D Dot Game Heroes is good, aside from the fact it's a BLATANT 2D Zelda clone with a shitload of classic gaming references. Although I have a copy myself that's been collecting dust after I cleared a dungeon or two, so take that for whatever that means.

I have an incredibly hard time recommending Disgaea to anyone. There's very little strategy in that strategy RPG. And the bulk of the game requires excessive grinding and stat maintenance. The series takes the crap part of an RPG and attempts to make it a major part if it's gameplay.

There is more to Valkyria than the alternate history setting. There's also a fantasy styled backstory. The setting is pretty much a fantasy world that moved ahead in time and somehow created a situation very similar to WWII. If you can get past the Darcsens=Jewsand their occasional attempts to remind you that THIS IS ABOUT WORLD WAR TWO it's a decent war story featuring some pretty memorable characters. It also features a gameplay style that I highly enjoyed, so there's that too. The game may be horribly broken, but there's something strangely satisfying about shooting someone in the face from a mile away, then blowing up all their tanks before finally sending in a scout to capture their base.

And as someone who played Drakengard you should consider Nier. While it's rather...adult and trying a bit too hard at being so, it's also a damn fine game. The development team speaks for itself.

Thanks
    EP Points

Forgive me if any of these recommendations have already been made, but i just couldn't bring myself to read 18 pages of posts

Without further ado:

If you like RPGs, I'd give Suikoden and/or Suikoden 2 a go. They're both great PS1 games, but honestly the storylines and gameplay are so similar that they're almost the same game. Still, they're both good in their own right, and have a HUGE(100+) number of recruit-able and playable characters . Also, If you haven't tried Treasure Hunter G for SNES its a pretty interesting Square RPG with a really innovative battle system for the time, though the storyline is kinda... well, just play it and you'll see.

If you're into adventure games, you might like Shining Soul 2 for GBA. It can be a little mindless, as its basically just running from dungeon to dungeon in a pretty linear fashion and killing bosses, but it has a large selection of character classes, and a decent leveling system.

I know there's a lot more games I'd recommend but I can't think of them at the moment. When I do I'll edit this post.

In the meantime, can anyone suggest some good strategy games for PS1 and earlier systems or PC?
    Last edited by KajDarkwind; 23rd-January-2011 at 04:53. Reason: Made a mistake