Thread: Couple questions about burning PS games

Thanks
    EP Points

Default Couple questions about burning PS games

My copy of Chrono Cross is, sadly, damaged. It fails to load certain level sections, though it starts up just fine. I've managed to get to the Hydra Marshes on a mission to save Kid, but the game fails to load the next screen when I try and leave the lair of the tentacle monster.
    If I downloaded Chrono Cross, burned it to CD-R's, then started the game with the real discs then switched to the CD-R while nothing was loading, would that work?
    Also, how do I burn a playstation .iso correctly? How do I rip a playstation game into an .iso to back it up on my computer?
    As I was walking down the stair,
    I met a man who wasn't there.
    He wasn't there again today.
    I wish, I wish he'd go away.

Thanks
    EP Points

You can use a program called ISOBuster to rip a .bin and .cue file of the CD to your HDD, or you can download it. To burn you can use Alcohol 120%. To run the game on your PS1 you can use the swap trick that is found on my sig. I think if you are using the same game, then you can swap disks while nothing is loading. Just make sure that you put tape over the lid sensor so you can swap disks without the PS1 knowing that you even opened the tray.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,180 Times in 550 Posts
    EP Points

And here are some guides to do what Josh suggested you:

-creating bin/cue files with Isobuster by Zorlon: http://www.epforums.org/showthread.php?t=40611
    -burning with Alcohol by polobunny: http://www.epforums.org/showthread.php?t=24893

Thanks
    EP Points

we got a guide here ,( i don't know if it still exist ) about cdmage and changing the damaged data with new data to become a errorfree iso... to burn again

Thanks
    EP Points

Good to know I can just switch the real disc with a CD-R and keep playing fine. Don't think I want to try the swap trick just yet- My playstation is old and falling apart that sounds like I could easily screw up and damage the part that spins the CD.
    Thanks for the guide link to the Isobuster guide Cookie Monster, I'm downloading it now.

Thanks
    EP Points

Ok, been having weird problems with downloading the game. I got the first two parts of disc 1 fine, but on part 3, for some reason it asks me for a screen name and password when I try to start the download in Getright. In the normal Firefox downloader it starts, but doesn't last long, as the connection times out quickly. The site is really, really busy at the moment.

Thanks
    EP Points

Private download? Maybe you've got to be registered on whatever server it is to download it?

Thanks
    EP Points

I'm downloading it from Emuparadise. Sorry, forgot to mention that. Just kinda assumed it.
    I dunno what's wrong with it. The first two pieces went without a hitch, and on number 3 (and 4, tested it) it wanted a screenname and password to access the FTP to download the piece for some reason.

Inside of a Final Fantasy NES cartridge...
    Thanks
    EP Points

I just tested Part 3 with FlashGet, and it started downloading with no problems.

Get FlashGet from here:
    http://www.filehippo.com/download_flashget/

You'll have to set FlashGet like this first though:

Go to Tools > Options > Connections > set Max simultaneous jobs to 1 > OK.

Then, go to Tools > Default Download Properties > and set Split file to 1 > OK.
    Last edited by SegNin; 19th-January-2007 at 20:18.

Thanks
    EP Points

I've already got Flashgot, and those settings are set to one already. Flashgot is how GetRight can work in FireFox. Also, the default firefox downloader can get the file fine (I just really don't want to use it on account if it having no download resuming support, something that's vital to a dial up user ).
    I dunno whether it's a problem with getright or flashgot or ep or what. Anyone else get anything like this before?
    *edit* wait, is there a difference between flashgot and flashget? O_o Is one a newer version of the other?
    *edit2* Found out that question for myself: http://www.flashgot.net/faq#qa2_2
    Don't think I want flashget.

edit--
    Well, I figured out the problem, and fixed it. Well, kinda. I found a work-around. For some reason, getright was loading up a dozen copies of the same IP address for the FTP server as mirrors, then setting the last instance as the active download and trying that, and spawning the login screen. I set it to download instead from the first isntance, and all the others disappeared and it's downloading fine now.
    O_o I don't get this at all. I have it set to only use one active connection, and not to search for mirrors or segment downloads or any of that crap. I use it for one reason and one reason only: Resuming. Why, lord, does software hate me? Games, drivers, download managers. All of them dispise me, and loathe working properly.
    *edit* Ok, finished downloading the game, and burned it with ImgBurn. The login problem didn't come back, and neither did the busy server problem, making me think the two issues are connected. Maybe Getright was mis-interpretting a busy message from ep or something. *shrug*
    As for burning the disc, tt had an error while verifying the disc about 2/3 of the way through verifying the disc after burning it, though. Also, I'm pretty sure it ignored the .sub and .ccd files, only paying attention to the .img file. However, I tried it in the playstation anyway. Through trial and error, I managed to get the game to successfully load from the CD-R (you gotta do that really fast ). Now I've got two issues-
    1. Reburn the CD, either using a program that supports multi-file images or converting the .img to an .iso with some other program
    2. Find a good way to keep the disc tray button down. The first thing that came to mind was to tape an unpopped popcorn kernal over it (the object chosen for size ), but I think something non-organic (and non-greasy and buttery) would be better.
    Last edited by Jetsetlemming; 21st-January-2007 at 14:55.

Thanks
    EP Points

You're best off using bluetack to tack down the sensor. That's what I use(d).
    As for burning the disc image, CCD/IMG/SUB disc image is CloneCD's format, you're best off burning it with CloneCD or Alcohol 120%, but CloneCD's the best option since it probably made it.

Thanks
    EP Points

I couldn't find a copy of Alchohol that wasn't a 30 day trial, so I experimented some.
    I ended up loading the IMG/etc, files with daemon tools, then using ISOburn to copy them from the IMG files and create a new version in .bin and .cue. Since a cue is just a track listing, it's hardly vital, so I could safely have IMGBurn ignore it like it does. I burned the CD again and played it for a couple hours last night. To keep down the button, I ended up using the kind of tape you use on walls when painting (dunno the name ) to tape a small screw on top the button to hold it down. The first thing I tried, a thumbtack, was too big/long.
    Also, I found out if you leave the game sitting still for about 10 minutes on a pause screen or something, the disc'll stop spinning on it's own, making switching it that much easier. It doesn't re-check the disc when it starts spinning again when it needs to load more of the game.
    I'm trying to think of how it might work to switch to disc 2 when I come to that. My disc 2 is scratched up a bit, too, and I just might need a CD-R of that one, too. What if it can't boot and I'd have to switch from burnt copy to burnt copy? Maybe I can do it without opening the cover if, instead of an automatic check for a new disc, it just says "press X to continue" or something and just tries to load without the verification.

Thanks
    EP Points

Basically when you've got to switch discs, with a game that doesn't allow saving before hand. You just have to keep swapping the disc over from original > copy and back and forth using the method that works for you, until it recognises the disc. You get unlimited chances on this one, as it'll just reject it as being CD2 and not reject it as being a copy. =]