Page 139 of 204 FirstFirst ... 3989129134135136137138139140141142143144149189 ... LastLast
Results 2,071 to 2,085 of 3048

Thread: Recently Watched Movies

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Finally watched Scrooged all the way through after nearly my entire life and I cannot begin to understand why people dislike this movie. Murray is excellent as always, playing the type of 80s business suit that we've all come to hate in a loving way in film. It had the right amount of light humor and drama, with a healthy dose of dark humor that I love. For an update of a supposed classic, it does a good job of making the whole thing relevant to the age in which it was produced, but it didn't reek so much of the era that those after it couldn't enjoy it.

The only problems I had was at the very end; the first was where Murray gives his speech at the end of the movie. It felt a bit preachy and forced. I get that his character has had a change of heart, but it was as though he gained a completely new personality at the end, rather than having his eyes opened and realizing the error of his ways. The second was the cornball bit of him talking to a theater audience, trying to get them to sing... that's something I felt they should have filmed an alternate scene or something. Especially since this was the era of VHS and films on video.

All in all, I love the film and my only problems came at the very ass end... and one is a minor nitpick. This movie should be a staple of any Christmas viewing experience... or rather, any movie night if you haven't seen it before.

Thanks
    EP Points

The Wolf of Wall Street (2013) ***1/2
    American Hustle (2013) ****
    Boiler Room (2000) ***
    -Wolf was much better than I thought. I'll keep it short, but if you've seen Goodfellas, then imagine the last 30 minutes of that movie (the hyper-kinetic cocaine fueled montage) and blow that up to a 3 hour movie about corrupt Stock Brokers. Yeah, it's pretty entertaining, and there are parts of this movie that are so damn funny it's almost criminal that you'll laugh at them
    -Boiler Room is another good movie about Stock Brokers, and shockingly it's actually based off the same novel as Wolf is. I'd seen Boiler Room back upon it's release and I liked it more 13 years ago than I do now, mainly due to some pretty suspect acting by some of the people involved. Also, some of it feels pretty half assed and they never really bother to explain the inner-workings of the firm and just how exactly they are getting away with the fraud (unlike Wolf, which explains it in GREAT detail). Still a worth watch, especially if you like Wall Street (1988)
    -American Hustle - So far the best thing I've seen this year outside of Rush (the F1 movie). It's smart, funny, extremely clever and has a fantastic cast. It's written and directed by the guy who did Three Kings.... if you liked that movie's sense of humor you'll love this one

Thanks

"Pretty Dead" (2013)

PLOT: After killing and cannibalizing several men and being found unfit for trial, Regina Stevens desperately tried to convince her psychiatric caregivers that she wasn't mentally ill, but was in fact slowly becoming a real life zombie.
    Yep, another bizarre movie hahaha

"Most people don't believe something can happen until it already has,
    that's not stupidity or weakness, that's just human nature"

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Hyakujuu Sentai Gaoranger Vs Super Sentai

So much stock footage. And the basis for Forever Red. In the last few minutes, anyway. And an over glorified clip show.

Thanks
    EP Points

Watched The Blob (1958) and also The Blob (1988).

I'm not assigning a star rating because neither of them are particularly good, but I will say I prefer the 1988 version. I like old ass horror movies too, so I have nothing against the old school sensibilities of the original movie, but it's really just not very good, nor is it terribly entertaining. It's just a movie chock full of stupid characters and very little screen time of the blob itself, who really doesn't do much of anything in the movie.

At least in the remake the blob is a pretty fierce opponent and really shreds some people.

Neither are good, but both "passable" entertainment.

Thanks
    EP Points

Just finished the Nutty Professor '96

Only ever caught snatches of it on tv before and watched the whole thing tonight.

Not bad 3.5/5

Thanks
    EP Points

Watched Kick Ass 2 (2013) - **
    Had its moments, but was nowhere near as fun as the first movie. I'm certainly not excited for a third movie, if they even make it that far

Thanks
    EP Points

V/H/S.

Stumbled upon it while combing Netflix, it's a found footage anthology horror flick. Pretty much what you'd expect from a found footage movie, shaky, grainy camera work, dumb people making dumb choices, etc. That being said some of the shorts were actually interesting and well executed. If you're a horror fan and have 2 hours to kill, give it a whirl.

Don't watch it with mom though, it's got boobies.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by TheRealSpiders View Post
    V/H/S.

Stumbled upon it while combing Netflix, it's a found footage anthology horror flick. Pretty much what you'd expect from a found footage movie, shaky, grainy camera work, dumb people making dumb choices, etc. That being said some of the shorts were actually interesting and well executed. If you're a horror fan and have 2 hours to kill, give it a whirl.

Don't watch it with mom though, it's got boobies.

I watched this on Halloween - it wasn't bad at all. There were a couple stories I really liked, especially the early one with the demon chick/succubus, and the one about the jilted lover who had her husband killed by her girlfriend. Yeah, it could have been better as a whole, but it wasn't bad.

I also watched Grudge Match (2013) today - *** - It was actually pretty decent. I'm a sucker for anything with Stallone or DeNiro, and it wasn't a half bad movie. I will say that I HATE Kevin Heart though - he's fucking annoying and a total hack (and I can't believe he's getting so many parts in movies recently), but the movie was entertaining. It's worth a watch if you liked Rocky and Raging Bull. And on a side note, I'm kinda liking the guy who played DeNiro's son in this movie. Most of you will know him as the guy who played Shane in Walking Dead (which is not a favorite of mine), but he was good in this and he was also in Wolf of Wall Street (and he was fantastic in that movie). I think he made the right choice by exiting WD and getting into mainstream movies. If he keeps it up he'll have a good career. I can't say that about the rest of the WD cast though...

Thanks
    EP Points

Watched Captain Phillips last night. Great movie.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by FlavaFlave View Post

I watched this on Halloween - it wasn't bad at all. There were a couple stories I really liked, especially the early one with the demon chick/succubus, and the one about the jilted lover who had her husband killed by her girlfriend. Yeah, it could have been better as a whole, but it wasn't bad.
    I guess I should also of mentioned the gratuitous violence.

And yeah, the succubus one was awesome, it's a shame that that was the first one, because it was pretty hard to follow that act.

I enjoyed those 2 shorts and the one about the chick in the apartment. Completely bizarre.

Thanks
    EP Points

Watched Justice League: War yesterday.
    Well, this is an another good animated DC-movie.
    Plot isn't really strong, just your standard "bad guy wants to conquer Earth, superheroes must to stop him" fare. Action scenes - this is where this movie really shines. I've freaking loved the final showdown with the villain. Also there is some pretty nice comedic moments too.
    Most of a characters are done well, but nothing outstanding.
    I liked Hal(Green Lantern) the most, just for his cocky behavior alone.
    Flash comes second - every time he is on screen is a comedic gold. Especially the moment with the crowbar.
    Batman is his usual gloomy self, nothing bad, but nothing really special either.
    Wonder Woman behaves like a standard amazon would.
    Cyborg is here mostly for story purposes.
    Shazam... I don't think that he really adds to the story much. But at least he is likable.

And now some things that are dissapointing.
    Darkseid is the big baddy here. Again. I am sick of this guy already. I didn't like him in the comics, didn'tlike him in the STAS or JL, and outright hated him in the Apocalypse movie. And now he is here to annoy me some more.
    Don't hope for the Trinity interaction. Or Superman\Batman interaction. There isn't one.
    The way Superman is portrayed. I. HATED. HIM. IN. THIS. MOVIE. All the time he was on screen he acted like a completely unlikeable narcissistic douchebag. What's worse, every time he and Diana together, flirting starts. Stop shipping these two, dammit!

Thanks
    EP Points

Pacific Rim - (2013) - ****
    This move is just awesome - it's Godzilla+Anime Mechs+Huge Budget used well.
    Not much else to say - if those things spark your interest then you'll love it.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Tokumei Sentai Go-Busters The Movie: Protect the Tokyo Enetower! Director's Cut

For a supposed movie it really wasn't anything special. Yeah, it had more budget because it was essentially an episode and a half but it didn't look any more well done than any given episode. It was cool that they finally put the whole "overwhelm the good guys with enemies" plan into action with an army of mooks and then five total Megazords at the end (complete with the first actual piloted enemy Megazord), but even then it was mostly crammed into the start and end of the movie and it all went by much too quickly.

Also, a serious lack of Beet Buster and Stag Buster through the entire thing up until the very end made me think they made the thing very early in the series production, then held the release off and by then the two new characters appeared, so they just shoehorned them in at the last minute.

Thanks
    EP Points

Mystery Date (1991) *** - It's not a great movie by any means, but it's definitely entertaining and has that early 90's innocence vibe. It's just a fun flick and I've always enjoyed it. Besides, it has a great INXS song, which any 80's kid would love