Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: "Asking for it?"

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Paladin_Hammer
    Yes, she was dressed like a ho. Bikini Strap, SHORT (very very short) skirt. Her ass and breasts are almost completely visable. WHAT DOESN'T SAY "SEX" ABOUT THE DESCRIBED WOMAN?!!?!?
    The fact that this seems to have become the norm (or at least the perception therein), and thus one could be wearing such clothing out of a desire to conform rather than to invite nonconsensual sex. Or perhaps she is seeking a bed partner, but of a different sort. You can want a one-night stand without begging for rape, you know. There is a difference between consensual and nonconsensual.

I'm sorry if you all still think women are innocent little sub-humans that aren't responsible in the least bit for what they do, say, or wear. But if a woman raped a man (don't elaborate on that people, just an example), you would go so far as to say he enjoyed the experince, that he probably wanted it to, and that he is just as guilty.
    That does happen (though it's reported even less often than man-rapes-woman out of both absolute and relative values, just because culturally, the man is "supposed" to be the stronger even in these enlightened times), and no, I wouldn't say the man was guilty of asking for rape, either.

Kinda what I've been saying.
    If a car comes out of nowhere and slams into me, it's not my fault. Unless I should never have been driving a car in the first place, or should not have been driving on that particular road at that particular time, and thus it is my fault for not being completely clairvoyant.
    And whether or not I should be driving is not at issue here; the above is merely carrying the analogy further, to the point malice brought it originally. Even so, I still disagree with him regarding placing blame on the woman. A person should take responsibility for actions they directly committed, and not every action committed by other people that affects them in any way. If a man decides to rape a woman, the woman didn't have any say in the matter. If I killed everyone who bothered me, are those people to blame because they were the ones who intentionally annoyed me? If someone works hard, earns a lot of money, and I break into their house and steal everything they own, is that their fault for actively working towards success?

INTRODUCING. FIVE INTELLIGENT PRECAUTIONS TO TAKE TO PREVENT RAPE:

{SNIP}

Congradulations. You now are in possession of five rules that can reduce your chance of being raped.
    Reduce, but not eliminate, and many predators who deliberately seek out women may go after women presenting themselves more, but will take advantage of what they can get.

Frankly, the whole 'blaming the victim' thing smacks of the just world fallacy. An interesting note about this unfortunately-frequent phenomenon in its original experimental confirmation:
    [Melvin Lerner] was unable to disillusion [medical professionals] with statistics and rhetoric, and took to the laboratory to devise an experiment.

"Tom" and "Bill" performed the mundane task of assembling anagrams while their coworkers looked on. At the end of the task, one of the two was awarded a large sum of money for his efforts. The other received nothing. It was made quite clear to everyone before work commenced that the award would be made randomly, without reference to the workers� performances. After they had observed Tom and Bill�s efforts this admonition was repeated: the subjects were again reminded that the prize would be assigned at random. The onlookers invariably thought that the man who walked away with the money was more productive, creative, and industrious than his penniless companion. These people, after seeing the money handed out, thought they remembered seeing the unlucky worker deserve his poor fortune.
    Directly relevant to this, but from Wikipedia...
    One study gave women what appeared to be painful electric shocks while working on a difficult memory problem. Those who observed the experiment appeared to blame the victim for her fate, praised the experiment, and rated her as being less physically attractive than those who had seen her but not the experiment.

In another study, subjects were told two versions of a story about an interaction between a woman and a man. Both variations were exactly the same, except at the very end the man raped the woman in one and in the other he proposed marriage. In both conditions, subjects viewed the woman's (identical) actions as inevitably leading to the (very different) results.
    Last edited by Mistral; 17th-January-2006 at 21:45. Reason: Geh, my grammar went to pot. Fixing typos, poor sentence construciton, adding links...

Thanks

I knew what this thread was about solely by reading the title. It is absurd to blame the victim. Doing so is the same as watching someone getting killed by a carbomb and saying "Well he shouldn't have been on the street anyway". I'd like to see the people that say she deserved it react in a similar innocent situation and have someone else blame it on them. Self-righteous nutjobs....

Thanks

[SIZE=5]The More You Know!

that reminds me of a Carlos Mencia thing...

If you see an Arab person on the street, don't judge them.

Call the police immediately.

[SIZE=5]What You Should Know!

ON-TOPIC:

I think that yes, rape is a constant threat to attractive women, like dingy and schutzy, not to mention brightside and sarcast.

however, the risk can be prevented by staying away from people like crusher, skinner, jase, evans, mikey, etc.

Thanks

...Or being ugly...? At least that's what one might assume from your post...?

Weee! I'm safe! Nowait...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CheezyMadman
    [SIZE=5]The More You Know!

that reminds me of a Carlos Mencia thing...
    i loath carlos mencia. Hes like Dave chapelle + more racist - funny.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Well my opinion on this may be difficult to describe.

First, can a woman ask for rape? IMO it can happen. Women who repeatedly dress in a sexual manner, who flirt frequently, drink or use drugs excessively, and/or who spend a lot of time around the "bad boys" at the local bars/hangouts in some cases. Since drug use will have an effect on a persons judgement, they will not be actively consenting to sex. After a few too many beers a woman will have sex with anyone or anything. This can be seen as rape. However, the woman should not have used this substance to such an extent, or should have a sober friend (designated driver, non drinker, someone who is just there to party) to watch out for them. Making poor descisions has poor results. I will place a lot of blame on the male who takes advantage of the situation. However if it is a bar or party, then the male will likely be equally intoxicated. How is their lack of judgement any less important to the case than the female's? It seems rather sexist to lay it all at the man's feet since both have made equally poor judgements in this situation.

Some women are overly flirtatious with men. If a woman is all over a man, then suddenly regards him as the ugliest thing on earth, that seems to be asking for trouble. Most sensible men would simply take it as "lost interest" or "too drunk" or some other statement and simply give up. Some men however are not so easy to put down. These women should of course not behave in such an unreasonable manner. If you act like you want sex, don't pull out at the last minute women. I can take it but I can tell some men can't. The fault again lies a lot with the man, but the woman has contributed at least somewhat. Now if a woman says "no", that is usually a clue to stop (unless of course it's closer to "oooohhh" than "noooo" and you are sure she's into it).

Now dressing in a sexual manner has come up. Granted that many women dress in that way. But there is a time and place for everything. If you're walking in a dark street in the bad side of town wearing very very little, that's just a bad idea. Now the men who would take advantage of that woman are equally to blame of course, but what was that woman doing in a mini skirt and bikini in an park frequently occupied by theives, muggers, hobos, hookers, and drug addicts? I have no problem with women dressing attractively (let's face it, I'm a guy and I feel nothing is more beatiful than the female body, especially when it's properly maintained.) I enjoy seeing it even if I don't get sex. Women enjoy the looks they get or compliments on their appearance according to the women I know. That is not asking for rape, and both the males and females gain from it IMO. But don't dress like that in some areas or places, or you may be asking for trouble. As in don't wander the streets and dark alleys of downtown in the middle of the night wearing nearly nothing. I promote the whole "dress attractively" method, even though IMO that doesn't always mean dress like a hooker (wearing little does not always make a woman attractive. I am more attracted to women who wear at least a bit of clothing.... not that I have a problem with nude females)

Then there is also the situation with statutory rapes. Now if a minor is hanging out in bars hitting on older men and asking for sex. It seems purely the female's fault. Yet somehow it always becomes the males fault. That seems rather sexist. What is she doing in a bar at 15,16 years of age being all over some 20 year old guy? Even if the consent is totally given, it still qualifies as rape. How is it the male's fault in that case. Iin some cases, it's hard to tell an older teen or high school student from a college student (I know girls at my school who look a lot younger than some of the younger high school students I know). If they are in a bar and don't look seriously underaged, it seems safe to assume they are over the age of consent. Plus saying "oh yeah you're so hot, show me your id and let's go back to my place" isn't exactly a good pick up line. Now I am not supporting pedophiles or men who intentionally go for minors, just the men who accidentaly wind up on the wrong side of the law after picking up someone who looks 18+ a bar.

Raping can in a lot of cases be a problem since some women have been known to scream rape after having consentual sex with a man simply because they want attention. This is wrong, yet I'd like to know how many men are being prison raped for having consentual sex with a woman/girlfriend. I will not comment on this, due to the fact that many should know a lot on that and my stance is rather apparent as to who is to blame in that scenario.

"Go looking for trouble and you'll find it" easily comes to mind in such a situation. These women should take some sort of precautions (the list on the former page contains some good tips. Use common sense and you are less likely to have problems. Rapes will still happen, but they are less likely if you take proper precautions.)

Secondly, are men to blame? The men are certainly to blame at least somewhat (no matter how horny the male is, it's never right to do anything negative to a woman). But the problem is that all the blame always seems to rest on us. I know that it is very easy to feel sorry for a woman, but that doesn't excuse flawed thinking. Examine the situations of some rapes. Does it not seem that the woman has at least contributed in a lot of cases. There are many women, yet not all are raped. What makes these few special? IMO it isn't always some lottery that they "won" or "lost" it is a contribution. The men get the final say, but the women aren't 100% innocent in some cases either. Men are also frequently the ones who are expected to initiate sexual activity. Having that placed on you can lead to rapist tendancies which may explain why many rapists are men. But some men can't seem to take no for an answer. Some men may think what they were doing is right or that the woman wanted it. This has led to these "she asked for it" statements. I can say that I think some women are indeed taking actions that may lead to rape. However I say that in a lot of cases the men are more to blame or are at least partially to blame. If for no other reason than acting in an "unmanly" manner.

And that is all I have to say, seeing as this has gotten way too long winded for what I intended as a short response...

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

I think that it all comes down to a look at exactly what they're saying. They may not have physically asked for someone to rape them, but they may dress in a manner that makes it easily accessible for someone to rape them. Provocative clothing, all of that jazz. Others have mentioned it, making this entire post irrelevent. YAY.

Thanks

I think it's simple. If she says no(and says it repeatedly so s/he can hear) , and he keeps going, its rape. Simple as that.
    No...

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Tits McGhee
    No one can be asked to be raped....BLAH BLAH BLAH
    Your avatar is asking for it.

Omega Weapon-> Pffft, ridiculous. It's surprising how most rape victims are NOT stripteasers, ex-stripteasers or don't even look like they could be stripteasers...

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by polobunny
    Omega Weapon-> Pffft, ridiculous. It's surprising how most rape victims are NOT stripteasers, ex-stripteasers or don't even look like they could be stripteasers...
    Where did I say most victims were? I simply said that some women do that. As some women say they were raped for attention and/or money. There is a difference between most and some. I was simply saying that in some cases the men aren't 100% to blame and in other cases the women have to take at least some of the blame due to negligence or poor choices. I was not saying everyone who was raped deserved it. Just that a few people have contributed to the risk of being raped.

Thanks
    EP Points

Technically being alive is a risk of being raped, doesn't mean it should happen.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by polobunny
    Technically being alive is a risk of being raped, doesn't mean it should happen.
    True. And I'm not saying rape is good. I am anti-rape. Just trying to clarify that I'm not saying "rap3 teh womenz itz der faultz !!+1" . It can be, but ultimately it is the rapists choice to go through with the act.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Paladin Hammer
    INTRODUCING. FIVE INTELLIGENT PRECAUTIONS TO TAKE TO PREVENT RAPE:

1. Wear decnt clothes. Do not let your sexual areas be more than 20% visable, unless they are below the belt, in which case they should be 0% visable.
    2. Do not exessively indulge in alcoholic beverages.
    3. Save "dirty talk" for the bedroom
    4. Only invite into your home ot place of business those who you have know for a lengthy period of time. A week is reasonable.
    5. Whenever visiting a new place, such as a bar, bring a friend along.

Congradulations. You now are in possession of five rules that can reduce your chance of being raped.
    Tell that to a 8 year old or an 80 year old, keke?

That's it for now.

Thanks

If a woman is dressing a certain way, or acting a certain way, then she certain can increase her chances of being raped. However, that is a far cry from asking for it. Anyone willing to cast all decency aside (perhaps it was never there to being with) for a moment of pleasure, has serious problems. That is all...

Thanks

"Yes" means Yes, "No" means No . If she says "No" and you keep going, it's rape. Don't say its her fault, unless she is the rapist its never her fault. I don't care how drunk she is, if you want to get into the whole fault thing, then it is the father of the rapists fault for having sex with the rapists mother.
    No...