Thread: ps2 linux with mc exploit

Thanks

Default ps2 linux with mc exploit

i havent tried the exploit yet but im wondering if it would be possible to run a copy of ps2 linux i got off bittorrent( ).

this should work im guessing but i think ill have to have 2 partitions

Thanks

Well you'll need a modchip to load the backup copy of the installer, to start with.
    But assuming you have that, I think it's probably possible, but there's some obtacles to overcome. Unless you have the right TV hookup cable (which I beleive is a VGA cable that only ships with the Official Linux Kit), you'll have the issue of not being able to see anything throughout the install. There're guides to doing a blind install, if you're daring enough, but I don't beleive they cover doing it on the same HDD that your HDLoader uses so you'll have to look into that.
    Apart from that, you'll also need to dedicate an entire memory card to the boot loader, plus a USB keyboard and mouse, and in the end you're left with a fairly crippled Linux Distro.
    Could be fun though, if you've got time to waste.
    One really great use for the PS2 Linux Distro is the ability to use the massive Floating Point Calcuation power of the Emotion Engine for things like rendering 3d animation. 10 PS2's would make quite a formidable render farm for 3D production on a shoestring.
    Last edited by Nagisa; 17th-January-2006 at 00:10.

Emissary of Light, Cure Black~! Emissary of Light, Cure White~!

We are Pretty Cure!
    Servant of the Dark Power...
    Return to the darkess from which you came!

Thanks

you mean i would need a modchip for the mc exploit or to install linux?

also, I've never created a torrent but if anyone wants me to i can make one for ps2 linux, as ive only seen it 1 place and that was awhile ago

Thanks

No, the Memory Card Exploit can be done with a single disc swap and then you can do everything via FTP.
    But that won't help you, because you can't install PS2 Linux via the exploit. The PS2 Linux Distro is spread across two DVD-R's and you need a way to DIRECT BOOT burned media to load them unless you have original discs. And as I said, in addition you need a VGA cable for at least the install (after the install you can hack it to use componant video) and a USB keyboard and mouse, in addition to a dedicated memory card.

Emissary of Light, Cure Black~! Emissary of Light, Cure White~!

We are Pretty Cure!
    Servant of the Dark Power...
    Return to the darkess from which you came!