Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: PS3 VS XBOX 360 analysis

Thanks

Default PS3 VS XBOX 360 analysis

Hey everyone. I just thought id see what kinds of responses i get from everyone regarding PS3 VS XBOX Specs wise. Now i know we have all heard rumors of the cell processor sony has in development and how it isnt viable yadda yadda yadda. Lets set that aside for a moment and take a look at the basic system specs. Start with in my eyes the one major thing that sets the PS3 aside from the XBOX 360, BLUE-RAY DISC TECHNOLOGY.

Now for starters, take a look at the difference in capacity. XBOX 360 was SUPPOSED to use HD DVD with 15 gigs capacity, however, the XBOX 360 does not have that capability as they originally claimed. Instead it comes with a normal DVD-ROM with standard capacity of 8 gigs in dual layer. The BD-ROM starts packing an amazing 25 gigs in SINGLE LAYER MODE! They have also proposed 2 layer and possible 3 layer modes doubling and tripling capacity respectively. If any of you bother to take a look at modern games you would notice that some games with really great graphics are very short, Call of duty 2 comes to mind. Great graphics comes with the price of storage space! All those shaders, renderers and such take up most of the space so all those really graphical games are gonna be real short on a standard DVD whereas the PS3 will be able to cram a lot more graphic data AND game data! Even devoting half to gfx and half to the game itself it still beats out the total capacity of a normal DVD. That alone shows the promise of the PS3 even assuming it had the same relative specs to the XBOX 360 aside from the ROM drive.

Next graphics! The XBOX 360 has a custom ATI graphics processor. Now we all know ATI has provided high quality graphics processors in the past and even now. However, the PS3 contains the RSX "Reality Synthesizer" which is a product of Nvidia and Sony which is capable of rendering satellite footage in realtime just by itself. I am not sure if the ATI processor could achieve this in the same manner but im sure it could still render in real time. I am personally biased towards nvidia but i do not despise ATI. Moving along we hit memory. The XBOX 360 has 512 MB UMA Shared with both the GPU and CPU. While this is fast memory it doesnt beat the 256 MB XDR which the PS3 has exclusive chips for the CPU and GPU. Now on to multiplayer capabilities. XBOX 360 has 4 controller bays as well as XBOX Live functionality. The PS3 on the other hand has capacity for up to 7 Blue Tooth controllers (Wireless) as well as internet connectivity for online multiplayer games.

As far as audio they are both about equal. Resolution the PS3 supports up to 1080p while the XBOX 360 supports up to 1080i so not a huge difference. Now the big debate, the processor! The PS3 has, in development, a revolutionary cell processor with 7 SPEs (Synergistic processing units) with an eighth reserved for redundancy. The XBOX 360 has 3 dual threaded cores capable of handling 6 total threads at a time. The PS3 cell processor is claimed to be able to compete with intel's newest P4 processors. Imagine that type of power in a console. I mean just think of it. Some of you have trouble running PSX emulators without lag and the PSX had nowhere near as powerful a processor as your computers probably do! But anyways that is my in depth *so to speak* analysis of PS3 vs XBOX 360. I await opinions!

[Edited for those that cant read long strings without spacings! :p]
    Last edited by Suikie; 13th-January-2006 at 07:56.

Thanks
    EP Points

Thy key is called 'Enter'! Thou shalt use it!

(Realy. Until there's paragraphs I will not read that.)
    http://www.epforums.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=29796&dateline=143454  3972

Thanks

yea man i agree with peen you gotta step your paragraph game up a little bit.. the thread topic brought me in, but your format sent me out. PS3 FTW kthx

Thanks

So this is basically I love ps3 thread.

Thanks
    EP Points

I think this thread is pointless until PS3 comes out. You cant analyze a system that isnt released yet

Thanks
    EP Points

I find it hilarious when people say that BluRay discs are so freaking insanely great. I mean, come on, Doom 3 had its graphics worked on for a long time, had high resolution textures + bump map, and it was only 3 CDs (~1.7GB, IIRC) large.

Great graphics, short games. Yeah, right. Like they couldn't possibly have included more levels, no way. Not enough space. CoD2 was, what, 2GB on XBOX? That's nearly not full capacity. With increasing real-time rendering capacity, there's even less need for streaming audio/video (FMVs, if you will). Since those take up quite a bit of space if they're of high quality, this is a space gain in itself.

When are you going to have 7 guys playing on one TV? Woah.

CPU. Oh yay, the PS3's going produce even more heat than an X360. More cores also certainly make for easier development. No, not really.
    The PS emulator example is a good one, although in the exact opposite way. Power doesn't really matter if you know how to code for a specific architechture. Try making a game like FF9 run on a 486DX. Slim chance, even though they have the same "power".

So yeah, less "OMG PS3 will PWNZoRZ" and a bit more thinking of what the X360 was supposedly capable of, and what it is, now that it's released. Also I think that the software released for the consoles will play a larger role than their power. Many people nowadays still play PS, SNES, or C=64. Not for their graphics, but their games.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dak'kon
    I find it hilarious when people say that BluRay discs are so freaking insanely great. I mean, come on, Doom 3 had its graphics worked on for a long time, had high resolution textures + bump map, and it was only 3 CDs (~1.7GB, IIRC) large.

Great graphics, short games. Yeah, right. Like they couldn't possibly have included more levels, no way. Not enough space. CoD2 was, what, 2GB on XBOX? That's nearly not full capacity. With increasing real-time rendering capacity, there's even less need for streaming audio/video (FMVs, if you will). Since those take up quite a bit of space if they're of high quality, this is a space gain in itself.

When are you going to have 7 guys playing on one TV? Woah.

CPU. Oh yay, the PS3's going produce even more heat than an X360. More cores also certainly make for easier development. No, not really.
    The PS emulator example is a good one, although in the exact opposite way. Power doesn't really matter if you know how to code for a specific architechture. Try making a game like FF9 run on a 486DX. Slim chance, even though they have the same "power".

So yeah, less "OMG PS3 will PWNZoRZ" and a bit more thinking of what the X360 was supposedly capable of, and what it is, now that it's released. Also I think that the software released for the consoles will play a larger role than their power. Many people nowadays still play PS, SNES, or C=64. Not for their graphics, but their games.
    Rep for j00!

Uh... I mean...

NO REP for j00!!

This mirrors the PS2's launch, now that I think about it... "Emotion Engine"... Pffft!!

Thanks
    EP Points

It's all about the games... Revolution FTW

I'll get a PS3 sometime though, and as of now, I don't see anything I like on the X360...

Thanks

Well, the guys at gamespot sure seem to love it!

Y'know, what with all those articles about how suddenly standard TVs are the bane of existence and such... XD

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by RU RLY?
    Well, the guys at gamespot sure seem to love it!

Y'know, what with all those articles about how suddenly standard TVs are the bane of existence and such... XD
    Yes I have noticed that. It's annoying.

Thanks

It's more than annoying! They're supposed to be non-biased, and here they did the same thing when the PSP came out: "DS wuh--?"

Thanks

hehe, funny thread. All i have to say is that Pho... err Sony is notorious for being dildo's about marketing. Don't slobber all over their nuts dude, cause you haven't even seen a game rendered by it(the PS3) yet. How do i know?

1) The hardware doesn't exist (or its an area-51 type secret, which i doubt)
    2) The "screen shots" that you may have seen floating around the net is all pre-rendered BS, which Sony tried t pawn off as uber in-game graphics.

Oh, and there hasnt been a game yet to fill up an entire 8GB dvd. So, um.... yeah....

Thanks

OMG, it would "pwn" SONY so bad if the first gen of PS3 games came out with... ahem... technical issues...?

Remember those god awful jaggies PS2 games used to have...? Oh, man... XD

Dreamcast FTW!

Thanks

Time will tell.
    I'm just a lurker these days, I feel like an 80 year old gramps, watching his grand children play outside *sigh*

Thanks

I SAID Dreamcast FTW...