Thread: PS2 Surround Sound Question

Thanks

Default PS2 Surround Sound Question

Ok I recently bought a ok surroud sound system for my TV and I hooked up my PS2 to it. Now I have been reading some things and it looks like I need this optical cable but is it really required cause I do hear sound coming form all speakers. Or would the DTS or whatever not work? Also if I do need the optical cable from the PS2 where would it connect to?

Thanx for your replies.

Thanks
    EP Points

I think that all you need are the RCA cables if you want surround sound in games. The games use Dolby Pro-Logic II for surround sound which only needs RCA cables. You just set up the reciever for surround sound. I know on my Sony reciever I just set it up for normal surround sound and it picks up the Pro-Logic signals and makes the surround sound. If I set it to auto-decode the signal then I get Stereo. If the game supports Pro-Logic (should say on the box) then set up the reciever for Surround sound.

If you want surround sound in DVD movies then you do need the optical cable because movies use Dolby 5.1 and DTS which is sent through the optical cable and NOT the RCA cables. If you get the optical cable then you don't need to use the RCA cables for games because it will send ALL audio through the optical cable.

I would recommend getting the optical cable since it has better sound quality anyways. Make sure your reciever has optical inputs before you get the cable. Just plug up the cable to go with the same input as the PS2 video. If possible try to post a high quality picture of the back of your surround sound reciever so I can see how it is set up.
    Last edited by Josh; 28th-December-2005 at 06:10.

Thanks

Well I am a new to surround sound stuff but the system I bought is a dvd play that is also the reciever. The one I bought was this one: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1099394930087

How I have it set up right now is that the dvd player/reciever is hook up the the tv by the RCA cable(I am guessing it's the red,yellow, and white). And then the PS2 is hooked up to the dvd player/reciever. From the spec it doesn't look like it has optical input but a optical output.

Thanks
    EP Points

Just connect the PS2 up using RCA cables. If the game says Dolby Pro-Logic II on the case then you need to set up your reciever for surround sound and then you should get it. Killzone is so awesome in surround sound. The effects are amazing.

Thanks

you need special cable