Thread: The beauty of nostalgia... the NES strikes back?

Thanks

Default The beauty of nostalgia... the NES strikes back?

Well, put this into general gaming because I know that there may be some who wanted something like this. I am getting one. Maybe that's 1 point less for the Revolution...

http://gear.ign.com/articles/677/677770p1.html

The NES returns... you KNOW that playing with a console and TV is far better than playing on the computer.
    "When you were born, you cried, and the world rejoiced. Live your life in such a manner that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice."
    - Kabir

I will miss you guys.

Thanks
    EP Points

I hardly believe this will fly.

Thanks
    EP Points

Sucks, it would have been better if they kept the old school look of it. The Atari Flashback didn't work much either, still bought one though.

Thanks

Yeah, old look woulda' been nice. I wonder if any of those old carts I have
    still work...
    My Trade List (Updated: Jan 24, 2007). Now Taking Requests.

This is teh Intarwebz...We care not for Copyrights!

Thanks

The NES strikes back
    sounds like star wars

Thanks

This is the greatest thing since the ................. NES

Thanks
    EP Points

I do believe that it will sale pretty good. With just a $60 price tag you can enjoy all your old classic NES games that you still have on carts. It costs the same as an Xbox360 game. The design is a nice mix of modern with the classic. If I had some old NES carts I would consider getting it.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Josh
    I do believe that it will sale pretty good. With just a $60 price tag you can enjoy all your old classic NES games that you still have on carts. It costs the same as an Xbox360 game. The design is a nice mix of modern with the classic. If I had some old NES carts I would consider getting it.
    Exactly what I was thinking - Good design, good price tag, & a nice mix of old school with the new stuff (wireless controls)

Time for me to break out my old carts (all 83 of them). Now if someone would do the same thing with the Magnavox Oddesey, I would be set for life.

Thanks
    EP Points

Those things are horrible, just to let you know. Color is off, sound is very bad in certain games, their own compatibility list is a joke, just to name a few. Go buy a real NES (15-20 bucks) and a 72pin adapter (10-15) and then you have yourself a fully working NES. Want to play a famicom game? pick up a copy of hogan's alley with the adapter inside of it for a mear 2.50 for the game plus the adapter. Those things are a piece of crap. It uses the same NES-on-a-chip thats been used for years in all the other famiclones.

Edit: And dont let the controllers fool you. The start and select buttons are in such an awkward place that youll often be hitting them. The joystick things on their controllers are overly sensitive, and make it hard to play many games.

Simply put, buy an NES. A real NES. Thats the only way for the real experience.

EDIT AGAIN:
    Another (more accurate) review:
    http://www.vintagecomputing.com/index.php/archives/6

To quote a user who was saying there would be problems from the start:
    Yes I know that NOAC based Famiclones suck, but the NEX was promised to be a custom clone with improved accuracy and compatibility. When I pointed out, before it shipped, that this might not be the case, I got attacked. Now that it is shipped and reality shows that I was right, I am exacting payback on the people that attacked me and spread lies about how the NEX was not just another Famiclone.

But the real reason I am posting here is this. I was an early adopter of their wireless SNES controller, which is similar to the NES controller. Everything about the controllers is great, especially the no-lag, long range, long battery life wireless... except one crucial part, which really sucks. The D-pad, though seemingly innovative, is almost useless for playing NES or SNES games. You really have to try it out for yourself to be able to see what the problem is, compared to an official NES or SNES D-pad.

The D-pad is extremely sensitive, so while you can lightly rest your thumb on other D-pads, without accidentally pressing a direction, you cannot do so with the Messiah D-pad. You have no idea how often you just rest your thumb on a d-pad, without pressing a direction, but once you use the Messiah D-pad, you will see. There are other problems. For some reason it is too easy to accidentally hit the wrong direction, typically you accidentally hit a diagonal direction. The final problem with the Messiah D-pad is that it can't be used for double-tapping a direction, which is required in many NES and SNES games to start running in a direction (Double Dragon) or in fighting games double-tapping a direction is used to execute a special move (Street Fighter 2).

You might think that the D-pad is good for fighting games, but for the life of me, the biggest problem I had was accidentally jumping or crouching when I wanted to run forward or backward because I was accidentally hitting the diagonal directions.
    Last edited by Borman; 23rd-December-2005 at 19:59.

Thanks

Screw that NEX thing. I'm getting a Dreamcast. And I already have about 69 ROMs burned to a disc. With Nester DC SE. Aww yeyah.

Thanks

I have the original controllers and a lightgun, so... problem solved. That way I can let my grey box rest in peace. Heh, it is easy to point out the bad stuff of everything, eh?
    "When you were born, you cried, and the world rejoiced. Live your life in such a manner that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice."
    - Kabir

I will miss you guys.

Thanks
    EP Points

Alright, so spend 15 bucks on a NES 72pin adapter. Its simply easier to point out what is better, a real NES, or a system that fails to emulate all the games correctly.

Thanks

I'm going to have to go with PC + TV-out.
    ø„¸¨°º¤ø„¸¸„ø¤º°¨¸„ø¤º° ¨¨°º¤ø„¸ EDWARD CULLEN IS THE KING OF VAMPYRES! HE IS BETTER THAN BILL COMPTON, LESTAT DE LIONCOURT, VLAD THE IMPALER, & DICK CHENEY ¨°º¤ø„¸¸„ø¤º°¨¸„ø¤º°¨¨°� �¤ø„¸

Thanks

this was posted here quite some time ago

Thanks

Too many clones in the market, get the real hardware!
    Helping people with emulation problems.