Thread: Copy, shortcut, desktop, melting snow and egg nog!

Thanks

Default Copy, shortcut, desktop, melting snow and egg nog!

Once again I have a question for you brilliant people...
    (If you saw that coming it doesn't make you psychic...lol)

Okay, I'll explain as best I can while trying to cover my ass from any legal repercussions...lol.
    I made a CD with alot of GBA games on it as well as Visualboy Advance all set with the options that my nephew needs for his comp.
    He actually owns the games so I'm not giving pirate stuff, but...
    He (and his father...my brother) aren't exactly the most computer lit people.
    I want him to be able to put in the CD and just have a 'Click this' file (like a .bat) which will copy the folder I made on the CD to his desktop and then make a shortcut directly to Visboy Advance on the desktop as well so he doesn't even ever have to open the folder with the actual files in it.
    Now I know to you and me one extra folder step seems simple to open but the shortcut would make it alot easier for him.
    How do I do that?
    I think I can make like a ClickThis.bat that has:
    copy *.* c: \windows\desktop
    On the CD so that will copy the folder, but I don't know how to then make it go to that folder newly added on their desktop and make a shortcut to the .exe for Visboy...and add that on the desktop too.
    Does that make any sense?
    If I need to be more clear then say why and I'll try to explain better but I think I did pretty good.
    And as I said (to cover my cute lil legal ass) he actually owns like every GBA game ever made so this isn't about giving him free games...it's so he can play them on his comp with save states and not having to fight with my niece for use of the one real GBA they own.
    So...simplified:
    Copy folder from CD.
    Make shortcut from folder copied on desktop so only shortcut needs to be used.
    Thanks!
    Oh yah, and the snow here is melting so I drank some eggnog...and yes, I do really have a cute lil legal ass...
    *giggles*

Thanks
    EP Points

My suggestion would be make a shortcut to the .exe and place it wherever, on the CD, then The command after 'copy *.* c: \windows\desktop ' would be somehting like 'COPY vba.ink c: \windows\desktop'. And modify the shortcut to point to "C: \windows\destop\'GBAFOLDER'\vba.exe".
    http://www.epforums.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=29796&dateline=143454  3972

Thanks
    EP Points

There should be a directory called C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Desktop (or something like that, under WinXP, that is) that stores some .lnk files. Those are the links that are created on the desktop, so you could make those yourself, and then haev them copied over from the CD. If you make sub-directories inside that desktop folder, you'll have folders appearing on the desktop, so you could do that as well.
    Last edited by pkt-zer0; 16th-December-2005 at 15:43. Reason: Gay smilies.

Thanks

Okay...so it's official...
    Darth is smarter except he needs to just change his name back to Darth...
    And pkt is cuter but that might be only because Darth has no Avatar...
    I'm still a bit confused though...
    Okay, I kind of get the make .lnk on the CD and have that copy to the desktop.

My one thing is I don't want to make the CD and find I needed to change anything since then I have to do an erase and all that fun stuff...
    So...
    I know a shortcut is basically a .lnk named 'Shortcut to...'
    But will a .lnk actually link?
    Hmmm...it makes sense to me...but I just have like 3 blank CD's left or I need to go like 19 miles to the nearest place to buy more if I totally mess these 3 up so I want to make it all right the first try.

Can I just put like:
    Pretty please make this work.exe
    And then whatever I put as the biggest wishes into it will be what happens?

Guess not...but that would sure be cool...
    Okay, you guys kind of helped but to pkt, I have win98se so XP is like foreign to me...I know you meant well though...
    I'll just go play with myself and figure out what gets turned on...
    Ummm, that didn't sound right...
    *giggles*
    SMILE!

Thanks
    EP Points

Go over there and take the 30 secs required to set it up, girl.
    Unless they live far away, in which case just disregard this post.

Thanks
    EP Points

I don't know if this is the same as windows 98, but it should go a bit like this:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    http://www.epforums.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=29796&dateline=143454  3972

Thanks
    EP Points

Since I suck at explaining stuff... See attachment.
    Extract it to any folder, copy the emulator and a few roms into the newly created GBA folder, and launch the start.bat to test it out. If truly c:\windows\desktop is the correct directory, and Win98 uses the same link format as XP, it'll create a GBA folder, and a link on your desktop. With a CD, you have the possibility of making it autorun, even, but that might not be too wise in some cases.