Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: In our image

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by polobunny
    Well thinking more about it, you're still an hypocrite for supporting people raising cows in groups only to kill them afterwards. Let's just not talk about that part....
    And the systematic torture that goes on in the raising of those animals.

Thanks
    EP Points

If i wasn't so addicted to blood taste, I would be a Vegan.

I'm not too far, I tell ya.

Thanks

I don't see why it would be impossible to create a robot that can think for itself. We could simply create a synthetic brain, once we finally learn of its secrets.

And, once I thought about creating robots with morals, and the fact that we really are no more than robots, creations, I thought: If we were to create a robot with upstanding morals, it would be far more moral than ourselves. We could make them think what we wanted them to think, that maybe we were gods compared to them. They would worship us, and treat us as they believe what we are. Maybe a grand creator, aka "God", created us with the same intent. Perhaps it was extremely immoral, and just wanted to create something to prove its dominance over life. Perhaps this creator is just like a human. Perhaps a cycle of creation has been going on since the beginning of time, and we don't even know it.

Please excuse me for such jumbled thoughts, I don't feel like sorting them out at the moment.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hijuda
    I don't see why it would be impossible to create a robot that can think for itself. We could simply create a synthetic brain, once we finally learn of its secrets.
    Because every computer consists of AND, OR, and NOT. Completely deterministic. We're not.

Thanks
    EP Points

What about randomizing scripts? Some are pretty good. We should put some in AI controlled mechs.

Thanks

What about randomizing scripts? Some are pretty good. We should put some in AI controlled mechs.
    They are pretty random, but they will always fail at being TRULY random. Besides, randomness should not be mistaken for will.

Thanks
    EP Points

Well said, I loose at playing devil's advocate.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Xaenn
    Because every computer consists of AND, OR, and NOT. Completely deterministic. We're not.
    I don't understand. Inside our brain contains our will, experiences, everything. Once we learn what does what, as well as each and every detail, we could make a synthetic brain, tricked out with all the latest knowledge. It would be similiar to putting a human brain in a robot body, except with a synthetic brain. When you think about it, that's really all a human is. Again, unsorted thoughts.

Thanks

Edit: Stupid double post won't die.
    Last edited by Xaenn; 14th-December-2005 at 03:13.

Thanks

Well said, I loose at playing devil's advocate.
    Hehe, it's hard to beat those random mechs though. They kill their own men!

I don't understand. Inside our brain contains our will, experiences, everything. Once we learn what does what, as well as each and every detail, we could make a synthetic brain, tricked out with all the latest knowledge. It would be similiar to putting a human brain in a robot body, except with a synthetic brain. When you think about it, that's really all a human is. Again, unsorted thoughts.
    Well, because whatever we synthetically construct will be material. But will seems to be inherently immaterial. Unless we somehow manage to manipulate those damn willitrons.

Thanks

Default Free will

My brother is completely convinced that we really are programmed beings. He cites the example that given a unique situation, the individual will act the same way every time. Unique being key. Given the person's upbringing, past experiences and physical state there is only one way they can react to that unique situation. Unfortunately for him, that isn't something that can be proven. It's just something he believes because he thinks it's logical. However, I'm inclined to believe that it's true. He then extends that philosophy to say that you can't blame anyone for anything, because people do the only thing they could do given the situation. That's the part that makes me think more about the way a person can end up as a murderer. If we could watch their whole life play out, and have intimate knowledge of the innerworkings of their bodies(to understand the physical factors involved), would we have more pity and understanding for the horrific deeds they have committed?

Anyway, just some food for thought.

Thanks
    EP Points

That's called determinism. I think it was mentionned earlier.

Thanks
    EP Points

Well, I hadn't given much thought to determinism. But wouldn't the alternative to everything being predetermined be multiple dimensions where every possible decision is acted upon (an infinite number of these).

That seems just as difficult to believe as determinism to me and therefore I'm happy to not 100% believe things are one way or the other for the moment.

If you think in the scope that hatever has happened is in the past and we can't change time, then there simply isn't any other way things could have played out its proven because its happened once in the timeline of things and can't be gone back on and changed.

It seems like there is choice and a process we call choice exists I suppose, but as there is no way of changing it once it has happened there really was only 1 choice in the first place, if you catch my drift.

(\__/)_/)
    (O.o ).^)
    (> < ) <)

Now we know how viral bunny signatures really spread.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey
    iRobot. nuff said.
    Best contribution to the thread yet!

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Xaenn
    Well, how do you know your will isn't just a bunch of complex chemicals reacting in different ways? That would be completely deterministic as well, then. Okay, not completely, due to quantum physics coming in at that level and uncertainty factors mixing in, but still, highly determinable.
    However...
    If that were true (that there's nothing more to a man than his every physical characteristic), Man could truly create Man, becoming its own God. I can only see this as the greatest blasphemy against God, Nature, or whatever final governing force of the universe you believe in. The value of life would greatly degrade. "I can recreate you, even better than what you were, so why not just kill you now?" The inherent fear of people that are different from oneself (different skin color, religion, point of view) would cause world-wide paranoia, because you couldn't differentiate Man, the Creator, from those that were created 'in His own image'.
    So that's why I think that there has to be something unseen, irreplicable inside living things, a mind, or a soul, if you will, so the above may never come to pass.
    Also, if the self-consciousness is a byproduct of the brains activity, then it's impossible to examine its workings. What would the shadow know of the object that casts it? Similarly, you could not examine your own thoughts without them being changed by yourself.