Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: The new official "Guitarist/bassist" thread.

Thanks

Default The new official "Guitarist/bassist" thread.

So I wanted to post in the old thread bragging about this new guitar I just bought, but I realized it was locked. Anyway, here's the new thread, and my new guitar, bitches. Haven't gotten it yet though. It sells for 400$ new(actually they're rare nowadays).

Floyd rose whammy bar bridge for those divebombs, maple body and neck, and an unusual headstock style for this specific BCR model. But w/e, I got it for 150$, and it's the body style I've always loved. It might not be as good as my Jackson Kelly but I may be wrong, I got it mainly to have different tunings available(hence why I was looking for cheap guitars), but I found this and it had a Floyd, not to mention it's the only guitar by this brand that I really like.

Thanks

Nice catch, Soeru. The link isn't working, but it's the Ironbird, correct? You got it at an unbelievable price. I'm eager to hear recordings.

Thanks

http://membres.lycos.fr/elricodelpar...J_Ironbird.jpg
    That's the same exact model, but mine has a different headstock(the typical warlock/horn-like headstock, which I don't really like but w/e). You can get stuff like this on ebay too.

Indeed, I'm still wondering if the guitar actually works if the seller had the buy-it now set to that price. Can't wait to get it, I'm aware that setting up the floyd bridge(or any whammy-bar bridge) is a bitch for the inexperienced, but I'll learn. I just want to bust out some bad-ass Dimebag tricks with that shit.

Thanks

Looks nice, the body looks like it can kill a few people...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Frozen Sky
    Looks nice, the body looks like it can kill a few people...
    With one swing. I need to get a whammy bar for it though, I think it's not included.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

you say maple neck, but the pic looks like a rosewood fretboard, which ive always been partial to. never liked the bc rich company, their guitars are too heavy (in weight, not sound) for my tastes, especially those acrylic monstrosities. give me a nice g&l, or even a fender, and i can play any type of music you can imagine.

and FR tremolos are a pain, be sure to invest in some allen wrenches, youll need em
    Quote Originally Posted by Chibi-Suke
    You really aren't kidding about your title... wow.
    There isn't an acronym to describe how badly I want you to not be here.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ZeikHunter
    you say maple neck, but the pic looks like a rosewood fretboard, which ive always been partial to. never liked the bc rich company, their guitars are too heavy (in weight, not sound) for my tastes, especially those acrylic monstrosities. give me a nice g&l, or even a fender, and i can play any type of music you can imagine.

and FR tremolos are a pain, be sure to invest in some allen wrenches, youll need em
    The neck is maple. And yeah, the fingerboard is rosewood, it doesn't have to be just one type of wood you know. This one is relatively light, I thought it would be heavier. Sounds pretty decent, the pickups aren't anything uber special but they work well. FR's are a pain for the inexperienced, but I have some very detailed guides on how to maintain them in tune and in good condition. Last night I bought a whammy bar and an assload of stuff like screws, allen wrenches, string clamps... I'm going to replace the strap buttons for better balance and set the whole thing up once I get the parts I need. I also sanded the neck down a little bit but I still have a bit to go to get it as thin as my Jackson.

G&L? Haven't heard of them. I'm not a fan of BCR myself, but this is the only instrument they make that I actually like. The main reason I got it is because it was dirt cheap and it had a floyd, which I was dying to experiment with. I have a Jackson JS30KE with a fixed bridge and string-through-body so that's still my main guitar.

I played a friend's original Fender strat and it was nice, but a little bit of gain made it hum like a cheap neon sign. And the tremolo it had couldn't be really used to dive bomb, which is the main reason I wanted something with a FR. His Ibanez RG550... that was like the best guitar I have ever played. Played better than my other friend's dad's original Gibson LP, a little better than his Schecter C-1 classic too. Too bad good Ibanez's with decent bridges were well out of my price range, so I just grabbed this axe. It's not bad at all. It's an NJ, so it's the highest build quality you can get from this brand before getting a USA-made model.
    Last edited by Soeru; 16th-December-2005 at 23:26.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

when i was in middle school, i did some research, wanted a schecter A1 for the longest time, got to finally play one in cali, almost cried.

fenders are great, but theres some mods that can be done to eliminate that hum, like shielding the inside cavity, or if you have money, upgrade to fender's noiseless picups, or stacked humbuckers if you're into it (i have a seymour-duncan stacked in the bridge position of my strat) my little strat has so much shit done to it, it unreal.

i dont know what method you're using to sand your neck, but heres how i did mine:
    strip of coarser paper in the crook of the hand (tween the thumb & index, where the neck sits) and then up & down the neck (from the first to last fret, y'know?) after i got it comfortable, i went to finer & finer grit paper, then cleaned up with some wood polish (i used lemon plege, its just what i had on hand) neck is silky-smooth and fits like a glove.

my strat has a bolt-on neck, so i removed it for this, and i also sanded down the heel (i believe thats what its called) where the plate goes that helps secure the neck & body. ive seen some fenders & many ibanezes that are like that, it allows easier access to the upper frets

and G&L is a guitar shop that Leo Fender opened with someone else (the G) to produce high-quailty guitars. google em, theyre beautiful & sound like a wet dream

Thanks

i figure this thread is as good as any to advertise my guitar.

gonna put it on ebay after Xmas sometime, once i can get some quality pix. i made it in woodshop, but i really dont have time to finish wiring and everything, plus i no experience with solder.

the neck is from warmoth, birdseye maple, ebony fretboard, 22 frets, routed for a Floyd Nut (which will be included with the bridge.) 3L 3R Gotoh tuners (black), Ibanez-esque headstock (custom shape, modeled after Ibanez)

chrome Floyd Rose double-locking trem (nut included), chrome pickup covers, chrome volume and tone knobs.

black humbucker, black single p/u. i really dont remember the models, but i know they're both Seymour Duncan. one is a Livewire, i remember that.

now for the part i butchered. the body. Jackson RR1 shape, white ash. the finish is Krylon Green (lol), but it looks pretty good. the only gripes i have are A) The grain is apparent, and B) It's a matte finish.

currently loaded up with a set of Ernie Ball Slinkies, .10-.52

i'll get some pix and post em, but if u got any offers, shoot me a PM.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

i might be interested if you have pics. it's all routed properly, i assume?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ZeikHunter
    when i was in middle school, i did some research, wanted a schecter A1 for the longest time, got to finally play one in cali, almost cried.

fenders are great, but theres some mods that can be done to eliminate that hum, like shielding the inside cavity, or if you have money, upgrade to fender's noiseless picups, or stacked humbuckers if you're into it (i have a seymour-duncan stacked in the bridge position of my strat) my little strat has so much shit done to it, it unreal.

i dont know what method you're using to sand your neck, but heres how i did mine:
    strip of coarser paper in the crook of the hand (tween the thumb & index, where the neck sits) and then up & down the neck (from the first to last fret, y'know?) after i got it comfortable, i went to finer & finer grit paper, then cleaned up with some wood polish (i used lemon plege, its just what i had on hand) neck is silky-smooth and fits like a glove.

my strat has a bolt-on neck, so i removed it for this, and i also sanded down the heel (i believe thats what its called) where the plate goes that helps secure the neck & body. ive seen some fenders & many ibanezes that are like that, it allows easier access to the upper frets

and G&L is a guitar shop that Leo Fender opened with someone else (the G) to produce high-quailty guitars. google em, theyre beautiful & sound like a wet dream
    Well that sounds like some dandy modding. My friend's RG550 was copper shielded too, and his dimarzio pickups were wax potted(he did it himself). So the guitar was virtually noiseless, not to mention smooth and unbelievably easy to play.

Sanding the heel down, that sounds like a good idea, cuz then the neck will be lower inside of the body's neck pocket, making it easier to get lower string. action.

Thanks for the tips on sanding, I just bought myself some assorted sandpapers because all I had was a worn up piece of fine sandpaper. So I'll start with the coarse one, sand it down half an inch, then use the fine ones to get it smooth. I like raw wood necks more than oiled necks, your hand just slides much more freely I think. I could do it to my Jackson but I don't really need to... not to mention that it's in mint condition so I don't want to do anything to it except change the pickups when I have cash available.

Thanks

My dad was like "You don't play an intrument, I think you should. Learn guitar." And i was like "i've been asking to learn guitar since for ever..." and dad was like "Maybe I'll get you one for x-mas..." and i'm like "score!".

{/random life story}

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by shamess
    My dad was like "You don't play an intrument, I think you should. Learn guitar." And i was like "i've been asking to learn guitar since for ever..." and dad was like "Maybe I'll get you one for x-mas..." and i'm like "score!".

{/random life story}
    Heh. I happened to start playing just by chance. I moved in with my bro in the summer of '04 and I remembered he had a Washburn acoustic, so I dug that out of his closet and learned pretty much everything through the internet. Positioning, technique, chords, tuning, and eventually pretty much any song I can play and every little skill I know I owe it to the almighty WWW. I bought my first electric last summer('05), after saving seemingly for ages, and its one of the nicest-feeling axes I've ever laid my hands upon.

I sanded the neck on my Ironbird for like 2 and a half hours! Seriously, the neck is noticeably thinner but maybe I could go lower. Too tired for that now though, so I just used the fine paper to finish it off and leave it smooth. I also just cleaned the frets and fingerboard with some q-tips and after a good wiping of the rest of the body it'll look like new. Plays comparably to my Jackson, but my Jackson could use a little set-up so you never know.

I'm off to make a back cavity cover for the spring box out of a tupperwear now. I really have nothing better to do at 3:30 AM.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

be caerful sanding down the neck too much, you dont want to make it brittle. if youve studied the parts of a guitar, youll see theres a truss rod in the neck to keep it straight, you dont want to weaken the wood too much, it may cause you to need to adjust the rod, and could cause the neck to snap or crack. i wouldnt advise sanding nown the neck where it bolts to the body. if the neck dosnt seat properly due to improper sanding (not saying you dont know what youre doing) it could cause neck warpage, and since it might not all be seated against the body, itll affect tone as well. the more wood you have, the deeper the tone. when i mentioned sanding the heel, i was speaking of the body, leaving the neck-to-body join intact, and sanding down the body, to make a gentle slope thats easier to get your hand around. my strat has a rather thick join, so i brought it down a bit. its angled, so i cant get the plate back on, but it works well to get to 21 easily.

when i make it back to the states, i intend on making a few electrics, as a hobby of course, but when you find your unique sound, id be happy to make on for you to accentuate your tone

Thanks
    EP Points

im contemplating getting a Fender Telecaster or a Fender P Bass. everything is so expensive though...