Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What has happened to EP?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MasJ
    Ifrit, if you're getting spyware ads then please next time you get them, please take a screenshot of the ad and also note the URL that it shows in the browser when it pops up, and put both items over here. I'll get in touch with whichever sponsor it is that is pulling a fast one and ask them to remove the ads. We don't have any spyware/adware/popups on EP, it's just banner ads, and some page interstitials (which show up every 30 mins.). That's about it.
    Also, for the record, it costs over $1000 every month for us to run EP (after the new servers we got recently..).

Seraphis Cain, I hope we can satisfy your need for speed with our new servers. Though nothing very good, but we can offer a minimun 25kb/s on each download from now. That is something big considering we have so many ISO's (and they're the most downloaded on the site...).
    Also, I hope you will enjoy the new MAME project that we're going to undertake here to provide the entire MAME set, updated with descriptions and screenshots. =]
    This isn't about what MasJ said but that he said anything at all...
    At many of these other sites I've seen and that are eluded to in this thread, you never even get a reply from the person who runs the site. If you're lucky, you might get a reply from a mod who says something like "Been asked elsewhere...search the site."
    Lot of help that is.
    Or if the site owner replies at all to a 'complaint comment' you get 'It's my site and if you don't like it STFU! You're banned!'
    One of the best things a 'business' can do is care about it's 'customers' and MasJ excels at that. *Two thumbs up*

*By the way, MasJ paid me to post this so if you disagree, talk to him, not me... *giggles*

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Great another thread where people whine about this site, many of whom couldn't do better.

Quote Originally Posted by Ifrit
    I'm sure there have been several of threads like this. When i first came to EP there was one or two ads on the site to get to the roms. Now only the forum hasn't yet been infested with these damn spyware-planting ads that are EVERYWHERE on the site.
    Oh yeah, the downloads dont work, i'm sure the server is down temporarily or some other lame excuse, but seriously.
    I'm sure this site costs a lot of money and blaha blaha blaha, however i don't see it cost a lot more than a few bucks a month for webhost and private persons running the server.
    That does not require 229752037532 ads.
    Look, if there's a problem, cover all the costs out of your own pocket, or go in with the other people complaining about this site. I'm sure you can cover a "few bucks a month" as you say it ($1000 a month isn't a few dollars where I'm from BTW) to cover this sites finances (or start your own site, whatever). Besides, as Allea said MasJ is involved with this site and doesn't just let it sit there. He seems to be pretty reasonable as well, so what's the big deal? I think the ads are alright and don't get in the way too much like Woodman said.

I've also not gotten any spyware from this site (although I heard there was a problem a while ago, but it was removed). I have however gotten it from other sites (not all ads either, some were in the ROMS/emulators i downloaded), and some sites had non working downloads. I stay here most of the time now to download, so I overlook the ads because this has become my favorite emulation website.

*recieves breifcase of cash from EP*

Thanks

well I cant see anything bad about banners. try to dl elsehere, you'll have to click at least 4 sponsor banners and usually don't get to the dl.
    here you have to click 2 for the direct download and get the file for sure.
    that banners allow this site to exist, or the members would have to pay. So a few banners to get the 1000$ per month, where's the prob? better then paying!

hmmm my tradelist is down and my uploads too, so forget about my sig...

Thanks

a thousand bucks? :O :O :O
    Damn... what about convincing someone private to host a server?
    A 100mbit private connection here in Sweden costs 50$ @ month.

IfritRoms.com - Click the banner above!

<a href="http://www.cerberos.web1000.com/games_psx.htm">My PSX List (I dont trade anymore, sorry) </A>

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Ifrit
    a thousand bucks? :O :O :O
    Damn... what about convincing someone private to host a server?
    A 100mbit private connection here in Sweden costs 50$ @ month.
    I think you're underestimating this site's popularity. We would need a few of those connections for this site.

http://forums.emuparadise.org/showpo...5&postcount=19

For those who can't read specs, thats a HUGE F***ing connection

EDIT- And that was before the new servers!

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by hardc0regamer
    If all members were to donate $20 for a year's access, disabling ads & having other perks & s**t...I don't see a problem.

GameSpot Complete is $39.95 a year.

I don't see this as a problem. With all the "freebies" that come with a membership to this site, plus the maturity level (OK...don't include me ) displayed, the helpful advice & other non-gaming stuff.... that is NOT too much to ask.
    That's a stupid idea.

Thanks
    EP Points

Not exactly my thoughts, but pretty close.

Thanks

So the bandwidth is 1200gb/month?

On a single 100mbit line ->
    100mbit = 12,8 mb/second
    12,8/100 = 128kb/s

This means that 100 people can download at 128kb/s from a single 100mbit line, 200 at 64 ofcourse. Sure, the anti-piracy laws are thicker here than in india, but my friend hosted for me for about 6 months on IfritRoms, generated about 3-4TB of traffic, and still no sound at all from anyone.

<a href="http://www.cerberos.web1000.com/games_psx.htm">My PSX List (I dont trade anymore, sorry) </A>

Thanks

polo host's a 20gig ftp for me

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Brightside
    polo host's a 20gig ftp for me
    And that fits into this discussion how?
    EDIT: Think i understand now Still, unless you're offering services you are not contributing. I would offer but i only have 5-6 mbit Up.
    Last edited by Ifrit; 22nd-November-2005 at 15:06.

Thanks
    EP Points

Ifrit, if you can host a server for EP in sweden (a 100Mbps one..) I'd be more than happy to pay you to assemble one and for the internet connection it uses.. (as well as some extra amount to you for keeping it .. )
    Also, there's huge differences between hosting privately and hosting with a company. The difference is basically you get multi homed bandwidth and good server uptime with a private company and those go a long way. For example, our server has bandwidth from Gigabit, UUNET, Level 3 as well as Cogent and some other providers. This means if any one provider fails we can route traffic through another and that people get good speeds because the data goes through the best route. With a private connection you have only one link and if that fails everything goes down..
    Last edited by MasJ; 22nd-November-2005 at 16:29.

Thanks

I am sorry indeed, but as i stated i only have about 6mbit up and my router sucks (D-link is satan) so i get downtime every now and then, but i think that you should definately look at the option of someone having it here in sweden, because the prices are very low and the uptime is great (full 100mbit fiber connection)

Thanks

Bredbandsbolaget is probably the ISP you want for this (because they give you a good modem/router, for one thing...). I'm on one of their 24/1 mbps connections, and I've currently been connected for at least a week or two without my connection dying once. It's plenty stable. The 100/100 connections had 300 GB/month limits the last time I checked, though.
    ø„¸¨°º¤ø„¸¸„ø¤º°¨¸„ø¤º° ¨¨°º¤ø„¸ EDWARD CULLEN IS THE KING OF VAMPYRES! HE IS BETTER THAN BILL COMPTON, LESTAT DE LIONCOURT, VLAD THE IMPALER, & DICK CHENEY ¨°º¤ø„¸¸„ø¤º°¨¸„ø¤º°¨¨°� �¤ø„¸

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Fate
    The 100/100 connections had 300 GB/month limits the last time I checked, though.
    Are they still doing that?
    I thought that when they lauched their "free" upgrade to 100mbit service they got rid of that?

Thanks

ifrit how dare you, i thought we had something special..... i used to be an admin at your site. Why WHY

sorry for going insanely offtopic but its better than me swearing at you ifrit, dont make me go all shiva on your ass