Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Problems with roms and new backlit GBA SP

Thanks

Default Problems with roms and new backlit GBA SP

Anybody else having problems with their roms on the new backlit GBA SP? The roms I have on my X-rom 512 all played pefectly fine on my old GBA but when I upgraded to the new GBA SP, I am encountering game freezes. More specifically with Metal Slug Advance. I can play up to the point until I get to the end of the first level and then it freezes - so I put the x-rom back into the old GBA and can beat the level and save it and then continue on to the next mission on the new GBA and then it freezes again.

Is anybody aware of anything that Nintendo may have done with the new GBA's? Most of the other games I have played work fine.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,180 Times in 550 Posts
    EP Points

I dunno, maybe they changed the firmware..

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

All the games work fine on my SP and DS but I use an 256 EZFA card (Nes ports being the only exception but this is known for all flash cards not to work, unless they are rebuilt and patched)

I will have a look at that one game later though if you like
    Last edited by Zorlon; 18th-November-2005 at 22:11.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks
    EP Points

I can play every game fine, maybe your GBA SP is broke.

Thanks

Default Zorlon

If you wouldn't mind testing that game, that would be great. It has been driving me nuts and not to mention making me paranoid about what other games might be affected.

I just received my SD SuperCard today, so I will see how that will work out compared to the standard flash memory cards. It sounds somewhat promising.

BigDog

Thanks
    EP Points

I don't mind retesting that game. (yeah re-testing since i probably passed it, i'm a secret metal slug fan)

Which version is it, european, american, japanese?

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by gbaBIGDOG
    If you wouldn't mind testing that game, that would be great. It has been driving me nuts and not to mention making me paranoid about what other games might be affected.

I just received my SD SuperCard today, so I will see how that will work out compared to the standard flash memory cards. It sounds somewhat promising.

BigDog
    I just had a convo in another thread with problems with a SuperCard (Not sure if it was the SD or CF version though) but that was about the new Harry Potter game, though I fixed it for my card the fix only half worked for the SuperCard (It was a save problem & running it in a certain mode).

That thread is at http://forums.emuparadise.org/showthread.php?t=39930

Yeah let us know what version of the game you are atempting to play so we can test the same version.
    Last edited by Zorlon; 18th-November-2005 at 22:18.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks
    EP Points

maybe even the exact rom would be helpful

Edit: Im in the 2 grand posts club now!

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Borman
    maybe even the exact rom would be helpful

Edit: Im in the 2 grand posts club now!
    Yep, seeing as it could be a dump by anyone out in the wild.

Thanks

Default American Version

It is the American version of Metal Slug Advance. I don't believe it is a question of the ROM being a bad dump/version since it plays perfectly fine on my older GBA - the problem is when I play the ROM on the brand new brighter backlit GBA SP. I find that to be an interesting conundrum and was just wondering if there was anybody out there that has a new GBS SP with the brighter backlight, and wouldn't mind testing the game on their flash memory cartridge. Like I posted before, for now that is the only game of 8 games on my X-Rom that is malfunctioning.

Thanks
    EP Points

Did you try it alone? Sometimes a rom won't work well unless it's alone on the cartridge.

Thanks

This is my 4th grand post (not thousand like Borman). I see how many posts you guys have -impressive. I will try the rom alone but again, the rom played fine with other roms on the older GBA. I will see if anyone I know has the new GBA SP and try it on theirs - maybe my new GBA is a bit freaky?

Thanks
    EP Points

Yeah but it could be anyone ROM, I only have "official" groups releases. Try uploading that rom to www.yousendit.com and post the link here.

For the posts, most of them are nonsense, not worth a dime. I mean Borman posts obviously, mine are awesome.

Thanks
    EP Points

PLEASE tell me they didn't change the hardware so the new Bright SP's won't play ROMs from a flash card

I *JUST* got back from EBGames with a black one...

Thanks
    EP Points

Hum, sounds fishy to me. Just have to borrow the gameboy from my friend and test it. He got the blue one, lol.

I tried it like 2 or 3 days ago, it looked fine (the screen). Personally if anyone wanted my regular SP i would sell it to them and grab an SP backlit.
    Last edited by polobunny; 19th-November-2005 at 01:50.