Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Magna Carta: best PS2 rpg you've never heard of

Thanks

Default Magna Carta: best PS2 rpg you've never heard of

A great RPG is coming soon for the PS2 called Magna Carta: Tears of Blood. A Korean company called Softmax develope it. The character design was handled by popular artist Hyung Tae Kim, who gives the game a somewhat anime look. In case u didn't know, Manga & Anime are taking off in Korea, and have spawned some unique twists on the Japanese mainstay. Themes from Korean life are much different from what you see in J manga/anime, so this game will be something different to play. The graphics are drop-dead gorgeous, the story is also unique and involved the use of Carta. Same old story in many ways, but the way characters jump in/out of the party will be something that's a reminder more of Final Fantasy 6 than others.

You battle with one of five kingdoms including Garute, Maracatte, Bayer, and Amabat. Some of your characters include Calintz, Haren the fighter, Eonis the Magi, Chris the mysterious fighter, Azel, Maya the child, Reith, Raul the swordsman, Justina the Magi & Rianna, magic Swordswoman.

Videos of the game show it includes pieces of the Lord of the Rings in cinematic feel & Matrix "bullet time". Very slick!

The three modes include Shura (link commands to create combos), Yasha (counter an enemy & inflict mega damage) and Rasetsu {Crazy Mode}, where you go all out linking your combos to create incredible 15-60 hit barrages. Basic gameplay involves a trinity circle, where you rhythmically push certain buttons on your PS2 pad to inflict damage. This is not your everyday RPG...timing is just as important as hit points.

IGN coverage

Download a trailer of the game HERE.
    Last edited by X-EvansBasher-X; 8th-October-2005 at 21:14.

Thanks

Heard of it and looking forward to it more than any other RPG.

Thanks
    EP Points

Thanks

In case you didn't know, Atlus is the publisher of other awesome RPGs with break the mold. Everything from Shin Megami Tensei: Digital Devil Saga to Disgaea, Stella Deus, Riviera: The Promised Land and of course the legendary Tactics Ogre and Ogre Battle.

Screenshots:
    Crazy Mode!
    Menu system
    Battle system

Review at RPGfan
    Quote Originally Posted by RPGfan.com
    "...the in-game cutscene models are so gorgeous that they give Final Fantasy X a run for its money. They are also fully voiced. The CG sequences are no laughing matter, either, because they rival Square Enix in terms of quality and production, and that�s no small feat."
    Wallpapers

This game is going to kick arse! Get ready, November 2005
    Last edited by X-EvansBasher-X; 8th-October-2005 at 20:57.

Thanks
    EP Points

It wasn't all that great when I played it for PC. Hopefully it's been greatly improved.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by hardc0regamer
    In case you didn't know, Atlus is the maker of other awesome RPGs with break the mold. Everything from Shin Megami Tensei: Digital Devil Saga to Disgaea, Stella Deus, Riviera: The Promised Land and of course the legendary Tactics Ogre and Ogre Battle.
    I still say that games should be grouped based on developers, not publishers.
    Anyway, I always thought that Magna Carta was a PS2 only game. I just love that kind of artwork, so I'm going to check out the PC version for a short time at least.

Thanks
    EP Points

Thanks
    Thanked 1,180 Times in 550 Posts
    EP Points

The game looks really good.. I can only hope an european release :/

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Cookie Monster
    The game looks really good.. I can only hope an european release :/
    It will come to Europe in November. Codemasters will publish it. The thing is, only French sites confirm this, so it could be a France only release , but I don't think it'll happen.

I am waiting for this game too. It looks so incredibly good. About the fighting system : Is it a mix of turn-based and real-time combat or is it a bit like Shadow Hearts? I can't seem to make up what it is from the previews on the net.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Slowghost
    About the fighting system : Is it a mix of turn-based and real-time combat or is it a bit like Shadow Hearts? I can't seem to make up what it is from the previews on the net.
    Since I haven't played Shadow Hearts I cannot compare. From the videos, though, it is straight out FULL-ACTION, realtime combat. You push certain button sequences to pull off combos, and you can link combos together to form these 2-3 minute long hits that fill the screen with fireworks & other stuff.

Can anyone say Street Fighter II meets Final Fantasy X? This is totally the Final Fantasy XII killer...Square-Enix must be p*ss*ng their pants worrying about this one.

Last heard at the SE headquarters in Japan.
    Square-Enix exec #1: Holy sh*tz have you seen this game? It totally r0ck0rz.

SE exec #2: Agreed. Yeeeees it looks really good...what can we copy from it?

SE exec #1: Copy it? Let's just buy the company and use their concept.

SE exec #2: Wouldn't it be cheaper to buy up all their copies? Wait about a year or so and then rebadge it?

SE exec #1: As what?

SE exec #2: Unlimited Saga 2.

SE exec #1: Wow, that smart choice. HAHAHAHAHAH.

SE exec #2: HAHAHAHAAHAHAHAH!
    Last edited by X-EvansBasher-X; 8th-October-2005 at 22:32.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by hardc0regamer
    Can anyone say Street Fighter II meets Final Fantasy X? This is totally the Final Fantasy XII killer...Square-Enix must be p*ss*ng their pants worrying about this one.
    You forgot that the man behind FFXII is the one who thought up Vagrant Story, FF Tactics, and Tactics Ogre. I doubt Magna Carta will kill it outright, the realtime battle-system might now neccessarily be that great. Well, even though there are quite many games that pulled it off quite nicely (Grandia 2, Tales, Valkyrie Profile, etc.). We'll see.

Thanks
    EP Points

I doubt Magna Carta will even become a mainstream title. And to say it's the FFXII killer is kind of a joke. You don't see tens of thousands of people sitting on their hands waiting to buy Magna Carta the day it's released, now, do you?

Thanks
    Thanked 13,309 Times in 1,165 Posts
    EP Points

Yeah, it ain't no FF12 killer. Chances are the only people buying it will be the few of us who've already pre-ordered. As usual for Atlus titles
    *PSA* Wii Redump collector's can now unscrub ISO files. So scrubbed games can now be verified. You can find the program to do this here

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FlamingGnats
    I doubt Magna Carta will even become a mainstream title. And to say it's the FFXII killer is kind of a joke. You don't see tens of thousands of people sitting on their hands waiting to buy Magna Carta the day it's released, now, do you?
    Sonic the Hedgehog single-handedly turned the Genesis from "just another video game system" into THE video game system to have. Although Sega marketed Sonic well, when word of mouth spread the game....it was like a fire that could not be put out.
    If Magna Carta gains a large, loyal following, and it's given awards & high rankings from the video game magazines/websites...
    then it will happen.

Thanks
    EP Points

But it won't gain a large following. I can garuntee you it won't.