Thread: Problem with a spyware/virus/something or other

Thanks

Default Problem with a spyware/virus/something or other

Ok helpers of the people...help me. I keep getting these popups ever 10 minutes or so. Not popups in a web browser, but the ones in a gray box that say "messenger service" on them. Saying something about I'm infected and go to whatever site and install their program. I've run both ad-aware and spybot to no avail. When i bring up task manager while one of these popups is up and click go to process, it shoes me a process called csrss.exe. A google search says this can be related to a virus. But I don't know how to remove it. Any suggestions?
    "The world is like a game. Once a m*********** get a understanding of the game, and what the levels and the rules of the game is, then the world aint no trick no more. The world is a game to be played." -Pac

Thanks

csrss.exe is an important file, ignore that. First thing you should try as mentioned in these other topics, restart your computer into safe mode (hold F8 when Windows Boots up), and run Ad-Aware/Spybot.

If that doesn't help you should download HijackThis, paste your log here, and I'll check it out for you.
    I am your poison candygram.

Thanks

I know exactly what to do.

Go into the Control Panel\Administrative Tools. Now click Services.
    Look for the Messenger Service and disable it.

Solved.

Thanks

I didn't notice the "messenger service" in your post. If you can't reach the administrator tools you can just download and run this program.
    I am your poison candygram.

Thanks

I've stopped messenger service. Now we wait...
    "The world is like a game. Once a m*********** get a understanding of the game, and what the levels and the rules of the game is, then the world aint no trick no more. The world is a game to be played." -Pac

Thanks

Did you disable it for good by going into the properties? If not I think it will re-enable itself when you restart.

Thanks

Heh, the first time I did it i didn't disable it for good. I did the second time. It worked fabulously. Thanks guys. (and sorry for late response)